• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Tilson Out?

Tilly In or Out?

• Tilly In?

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • Tilly Out?

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters

ElstreeBlue

Coach
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But thankfully some people on here are not running the club. Otherwise, we'd have lost arguably the best management team we've ever had.

I don't think even the most optimistic person at the end of January could have predicted the run we've been on after what had gone before. However, in my opinion, Tilly has proved once and for all what a great manager he is. Or will some people still want him to resign at the next bad run (which will inevitably happen at some point)?

For me, success this year would have been simply staying up after the position Tilly found himself in as the season got underway. Some of the optimism from a few on here in August was astounding considering we'd lost the heart of our team in Maher, Gower and Bailey, had the contract rebel situation, and could barely put together 10 outfield players, with Tilly's hands seemingly tied for signing permanent players. He had to stitch together several make-shift sides this season, and boy what a job he's done. AGAIN.

Whatever happens from here on in, this to me has been Tilly's and Brush's best season as our managing team and shown just how they have waved their magic wands again. When we were on the slide in December/January, who thought we'd have any chance of getting over 70 points? We may well end up at this rate being on about similar points to last season but remarkably despite such a high total not making the play offs.

Last season, after a very very similar story, I asked the same question with about 4 or 5 games to go (when a play-off position was virtually assured after our late great run), and I was ridiculed by 2 or 3 people on here. How could I ask such a stupid question? Well, because people had called for Tilly's heads in December/January as indeed they did again this season, and I wanted to show just how popular Tilly had been and how it was always important to take a long-term view.

Once again, in my opinion, another remarkable season by Tilly & Brush. I believe they have achieved more than Leicester's and Peterborough's managers because of the backdrop. But feel free to disagree if you wish.

The question's simple: Tilly In or Tilly Out? If you vote Tilly Out, please give your reasons.

Last edited:
He has to go. Recent results show what a useless manager he is. On a serious note though, time after time Tilly always seems to pull something out of the bag when we have been on a poor run.

A fantastic achievement, with the mire we were in back in January... I said at the time that this would be the biggest test of his abilities so far as a manager. The boy's done more than great!

Last edited:
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But thankfully some people on here are not running the club. Otherwise, we'd have lost arguably the best management team we've ever had.

I don't think even the most optimistic person at the end of January could have predicted the run we've been on after what had gone before. However, in my opinion, Tilly has proved once and for all what a great manager he is. Or will some people still want him to resign at the next bad run (which will inevitably happen at some point)?

For me, success this year would have been simply staying up after the position Tilly found himself in as the season got underway. Some of the optimism from a few on here in August was astounding considering we'd lost the heart of our team in Maher, Gower and Bailey, had the contract rebel situation, and could barely put together 10 outfield players, with Tilly's hands seemingly tied for signing permanent players. He had to stitch together several make-shift sides this season, and boy what a job he's done. AGAIN.

Whatever happens from here on in, this to me has been Tilly's and Brush's best season as our managing team and shown just how they have waved their magic wands again. When we were on the slide in December/January, who thought we'd have any chance of getting over 70 points? We may well end up at this rate being on about similar points to last season but remarkably despite such a high total not making the play offs.

Last season, after a very very similar story, I asked the same question with about 4 or 5 games to go (when a play-off position was virtually assured after our late great run), and I was ridiculed by 2 or 3 people on here. How could I ask such a stupid question? Well, because people had called for Tilly's heads in December/January as indeed they did again this season, and I wanted to show just how popular Tilly had been and how it was always important to take a long-term view.

Once again, in my opinion, another remarkable season by Tilly & Brush. I believe they have achieved more than Leicester's and Peterborough's managers because of the backdrop. But feel free to disagree if you wish.

The question's simple: Tilly In or Tilly Out? If you vote Tilly Out, please give your reasons.

Sorry EB have to disagree - the fixtures that were coming up were winnable once we got a confidence boost and a world class centre back. This management job is quite easy really :) .

I remember a Leeds fan telling me we should sack him after the Championship relegation season. I've laughed at him ever since and he still doesn't seem to get it.

Steve Tilson and Paul Brush have proved time and time again that they can produce a decent Southend team on a shoestring or, as has been seen this season, with on-loan players. The 'Tilson Out' question is not really an option in my opinion I would be more concerned if another team came in who do have money to spend who would want to take both of them away and there are a few in The Championship who have got a couple of quid. Tilson is a local lad who has turned our fortunes around and has got a great team around him, I know Ron Martin knows this I just wish our fickle supporters would remember this fact as well. He goes Brush goes and the backroom staff will follow and then watch us tumble. So no, Tilson most certainly NOT OUT

I think the 5 nutters who voted Tilson out should come and justify their views. Still I suppose they could be joking. Wait my sides have just split.

This all well and good but the next time we go half a dozen games without winning the same faces will come out of the woodwork saying that Tilly is clueless tactically, should have gone to Norwich and all but the most rose-tinted amongst us can see that Freddy Eastwood got us promoted in the first place.

Such is the Shrimperzone-cycle.

I'd argue that our current crop is perhaps not the best Tilly and Brush have worked with, so if they have got this lot banging on the doors of the playoffs then what could they do with a squad with a couple of decent additions in the summer?

The fact is our squad has had no consistancy this season, so many loan players in and out. Spurs (for example) have some decent youngsters & would add decent quality to any lower div side. Perhaps Tilly would be better off in the summer approaching Old Arry and asking for say 3 youngsters on loan for the season, we all know Arry likes to loan out a decent youngster.

Whats the point of this poll, even in jest its very stupid.
Tilson is the greatest manager in the clubs history by a very long way, its an insult not just to him but to the club to have these pointless polls.

Got a feeling that Dervite will be loaned out to a Championship club next season.

He's very highly rated at Spurs and would be involved with the first team if they didnt have the likes of King, Woodgate and Dawson.

Whats the point of this poll, even in jest its very stupid.
Tilson is the greatest manager in the clubs history by a very long way, its an insult not just to him but to the club to have these pointless polls.

I think thats the point, a few months ago the likes of pboreham, wiggy, ttk genuinely wated Tilly out and were convinced we could get in someone better. Hopefully people remember this time we have an inevitable slump....

I have obviously gone for Tilson in. However, surely the question is whether Tilly wants out. I wouldnt blame him the slightest if he left in the summer as, with the very limited funds he has been given by Ron recently, I think he may have taken us as far as he can.

I think thats the point, a few months ago the likes of pboreham, wiggy, ttk genuinely wated Tilly out and were convinced we could get in someone better. Hopefully people remember this time we have an inevitable slump....

exactly.

we have now had 7 people so far voting Tilly Out, but not one has sought to justify their reasons. Have they voted Tilly Out as a joke (can't see what's funny about that - I must be missing something) or do they genuinely believe that this management team - after all they've done year after year - is not up to it?

I wonder whether it's Tilly's understated and down-to-earth and non-ranting attitude that makes people question whether he is really all that good? It may also be the reason that we may fortunately hang onto such a good manager for hopefully a long time to come (apart from because of his loyalty and love of the club).

I think what makes Tilly special and more up to the job than the rest of us is his level-headed attitude. When we were on our bad run and a lot of people we were on a vicious circle downwards, Tilly was calm enough to know that with 2 or 3 (excellent and inspired) changes we would turn things around. Equally, when we're on a good run, he's level-headed enough to know that things are not quite as good as some of us think.

This poll is not pointless. It should show, as Number 11 rightly says, that the vast majority of us think T&B is a great management team. It should also show the futility of taking a short-term approach each time the team has a blip, but as Beefy said - don't hold your breath!

I must admit I have been very sceptical of Tilson in the past but TIME AND TIME again he proves me wrong and Tilson for that I thank you!!

TILSONS YELLOW ARMY!

Back