• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
Just watched the Tilly interview from yesterday and thought it was interesting how he stated he thinks we have the strongest strike partnership in the league.

Out of interest how do you think we compare/ rank compared to other teams striker forces (taken from their starting line up's yesterday):

Brighton- Murry and Forster (6)
Bristol Rover- Duffy and Lambert (9)
Carlisle- Carlton and Graham (9)
Cheltenham- Owusu and Hayles (1)
Colchester- Vernon and Platt (1)
Crewe- Elding and Zola (5)
Hartlepool- Porter and Brown (6)
Hereford- Williams and Guinan (1)
Huddersfield- Dickinson and Parker (2)
Leeds- Beckford and Becchio (11)
Leicester- Howard and Fryatt (9)
Orient- Boyd and Jarvis (5)
Millwall- Kandol and Alexander (4)
MK Dons- Wilbraham and Baldock (4)
Northampton- Hawley and Larkin (0)
Oldham- Hughes and Alessandra (5)
Peterborough- Craig Mackail -Smith and Rendell (6)
Scunthorpe- Hayes and Hooper (10)
Southend- Barnard and Freedman (3)
Stockport- Rowe and Thompson (3)
Swindon- Paynter and Cox (9)
Tranmere- Savage and Moore (3)
Walsall- Ibehre and Ricketts (5)
Yeovil- Warne and Tomlin (6)

In red are the partnerships in consider to be weaker, and in green, obviously visa versa.

I have just added how many goals that the starting partnerships for each team have between them so far. (All data taken from the BBC, therefore am not sure if the club stats section has been updated since yesterday).

Your thoughts.

Last edited:
I'd have put Oldham and Peterborough on a level with us at the moment, our two haven't exactly set the world on fire......yet! And you can't knock Swindon either.

Think there are many partnerships better than ours in League 1, bit of a weird statement from Tilly...

Weird how? First rules in man management - give your staff belief in themselves, build their confidence and give them something to live up to.

Yeah I reckon Tilly was trying to build a bit of confidence in his strike force. Leicester's front 2 are both Championship quality and Jermaine Beckford showed last season at Leeds that he could play at a higher level. I think both Barnard and Freedman are now top-class league one strikers but there is better in the league. However credit has to go to Tilly for getting the pair of them because those strike duos I consider stronger play for clubs such as Leeds and Leicester who have much bigger wage and transfer budgets than we do.

To be fair people it's true that Tilson has bought some **** up front. However to bring in players like Gray, Eastwood, Goater, Clarke, Barnard and now Freedman who all did or will score goals for us on a regular basis is fantastic, how many managers bring in players like that continually. Tilson has excelled again in getting these 2 together.

In all honesty I dont feel there are many other teams in this league with Barnard and Freedman's quality however, it's the quality service and creativity which is being lacked in our midfield at the moment.

Yea, but your not telling me Barney and especially Freedman aren't savvy enough to realise thats bollocks though!?

Y'know, I'm really glad you've got enough confidence to not need that sort of public declaration of confidence to be shown in you, most of the rest of us mere mortals would value such a statement from their bosses.

Y'know, I'm really glad you've got enough confidence to not need that sort of public declaration of confidence to be shown in you, most of the rest of us mere mortals would value such a statement from their bosses.

Hmmm... I know what you mean, I'm just totally cynical.

My boss used to tell me I was the 'best web designer and he wouldnt swap me for anyone' etc etc and I always thought 'yea, right, whatever' as its total bunkum.

If Barney and Freedman buy into it and it works, then great!

In all honesty I dont feel there are many other teams in this league with Barnard and Freedman's quality however, it's the quality service and creativity which is being lacked in our midfield at the moment.

Yes, there was a breakaway late in the second half, Freedman had slipped his marker and was free in the box. Yet Betsy couldn't find him with what should have been a fairly simple pass.

How can you compare?? Freedman has only played 2 games and him and Barnard look like a good partnership. Anyway the best partnership doesn't mean that they score the most. For example there can be a great partnership and they only score 3 in 4 games but then another partnership scores 6 in 4 dispite them not being able to work together and one of them scoring all the goals.

Yea, but your not telling me Barney and especially Freedman aren't savvy enough to realise thats bollocks though!?

I just don't agree.

In my opinion, even if it isn't THE best, it is still ONE OF THE BEST forward lines in this division - and certainly an improvement on last year. An exaggeration it might be with perhaps some poetic license, but it's far from bollocks. Even if Dougie has been around a bit, he'll still respond well to praise as there's few people on the planet who don't.

Give a dog a good name and something to live up to - still for me one of the most important aspects of man-management.

If one of my staff is good, I tell them they're great. If they're great, I let them know they're the best in the industry. Guess what sort of performance I'd get from them if I told them they were simply average!

How can you compare?? Freedman has only played 2 games and him and Barnard look like a good partnership. Anyway the best partnership doesn't mean that they score the most. For example there can be a great partnership and they only score 3 in 4 games but then another partnership scores 6 in 4 dispite them not being able to work together and one of them scoring all the goals.

Fine. Just looking to make comparisons. Not just looking at goals, how about looking at the strikers themselves. For example even though Freedman and Barnard have only played twice and another partnership may have played all season, notching 8 goals etc- doesn't make them better.

Disregard the goals if you will.

I was just making a note of it.

If we manage to harness Freedman's experience and get him to play anywhere near his past level, he can be the best striker in this league. Barnard has shown how predatory he can be. I think he's slightly exaggerating it right now but I would say only Leeds and Leicester look to have better pairings. I have no idea why no-one moved to sign up Steve Howard pre-season.

Back