• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Quoted from Rob 1920 in the match ratings thread. Sorry I'm not good at the quote copy into new thread thing

"Its not just financial backing, he backs his managers & gives them time to sort things out when it appears to all be going wrong. I know the Tilly thing will divide people but he also stood by him longer than most chairmen would have. I wonder how many clubs have only had 3 managers in the past 13 or so years?"

Some have already done so. I am really NOT a fan of RM, especially on the ground fiasco and our constant run ins with tax and courts but there is no denying the one fact above. He has balanced keeping us out of the courts with making money available regularly and with quality signings. Many of us, me included, were calling for Brown out. He kept faith in Tilly for as long as he could.

On this particular point I got it wrong. Well done Ron and well done Phil for the turnaround. I've not booked the play off final flight just yet but frankly even if we miss out we have surpassed my expectations this season already.

I was wrong. Who else? Oh and can anyone answer Rob's question?

Quoted from Rob 1920 in the match ratings thread. Sorry I'm not good at the quote copy into new thread thing

"Its not just financial backing, he backs his managers & gives them time to sort things out when it appears to all be going wrong. I know the Tilly thing will divide people but he also stood by him longer than most chairmen would have. I wonder how many clubs have only had 3 managers in the past 13 or so years?"

Some have already done so. I am really NOT a fan of RM, especially on the ground fiasco and our constant run ins with tax and courts but there is no denying the one fact above. He has balanced keeping us out of the courts with making money available regularly and with quality signings. Many of us, me included, were calling for Brown out. He kept faith in Tilly for as long as he could.

On this particular point I got it wrong. Well done Ron and well done Phil for the turnaround. I've not booked the play off final flight just yet but frankly even if we miss out we have surpassed my expectations this season already.

I was wrong. Who else? Oh and can anyone answer Rob's question?

Arsenal have only had one. Many of their fans wish it had been a few more.

I've never slated Ron on here.. Its a thankless task being a Chairman; and he sticks by his men. All astute appointments as well.

But I did question Brown. Not in his ability to spot talent or to raise team spirit, but in his ability to have multiple game plans and utilise the players at his disposal. Earlier in the season we were whacking long balls up to Cox and Mooney. I'm still not convinced he has plan's B and C but right now he doesn't seem to need them.

What I am most amazed at is the change of style from dour clean sheet mentality to free-flowing pacy one touch football, with a bit of pace and directness when needed. He has proved me wrong. The difference between now and the rabbit in the headlights stuff up at Bolton and Scunthorpe is a million miles away.

He certainly hasn't lost the dressing room although to be fair I never thought he had.

I'm not on facebook any more but there are quite a few so called fans on the fans page who want brown out even if he got us in the premier league. There reasoning is regardless of results they never wanted him here and still don't and never will

There's some morons on the FB page.

Ron's patience with managers is definitely a positive. It always seems to me in the heat of the moment that people can want a manager to go for punishment for bad results rather than because it is the right thing for the Club. But we all hate to lose.

Wonderfully refreshing to see managers given a chance in an age whereby players have all the power!

Have never doubted that Ron has a connection with the club more than compared to previous chairman .However his whole financial situation is tied up with Fossetts and unfortunately I have heard him personally make to many promises.Ron can go down in the history of the club in the same light as Oliver Trigg if he delivers the new ground ,higher league status ,and the financial stability he promised along with it.Almost 10 years on its wearing a bit thin

Yes Ron stands by his man which is very good,but he hung Tilly out to dry which considering Tilson's loyalty was unforgivable IMO...don't pay the players and the rest is history.

Luggy IMO saved this club from possibly oblivion yet he was repaid with the Wembley insult from whoever.

Phil has been afforded quality players recently...interestingly after the Dale debacle the lads have surged up the table,Phil or player power,who knows,let's hope it continues.

The Hall apart from turnstiles and the centre circle lounge,what has Ron done to offer fans a better match day experience?

Ron is a businessman ,end of ,fact.

There's some morons on the FB page.

Ron's patience with managers is definitely a positive. It always seems to me in the heat of the moment that people can want a manager to go for punishment for bad results rather than because it is the right thing for the Club. But we all hate to lose.

I think a few people have trouble admitting they were wrong about Brown. I believe the polls at one stage had 84% of people on here wanting him out. I'm fine to say I was one and I was wrong.

Sadly some people would rather be pig headed about these things than hold their hands up.

As for Ron, I still have a view that he's killing us by a thousand cuts but admittedly he can't be faulted with the manager situation.

Brown did himself no favours towards the end of last season, the Bolton debacle, and the start of this. Yes, I would have been happy for him to go, but the turn around has been remarkable and there is some real quality in the team. So yes, I hold my hand up and I hope El Tango is here to guide us into the promised land of the Championship (or beyond?)

Fare play to you all putting your hands up...... I've always been a fan of Browny, when you look back he's turned things around remarkably and the quality in the squad is very good.

I also believe he's in it for the long term, bearing in mind the relationship he has with the chairman and shares eg eg. My only concern if a big club came sniffing, their must be quite a few chairmen around the country taking notice at what he's doing.

I wasn't screaming for him to go but also obviously wasn't happy with the things were going and can admit I've never been a massive fan of his. It was getting to the point where something needed to be done and he can't have been many games away from the old tic tac. Still credit where's it due, we look like a completely different team now and this is the best football we have played the entire time he has been here remarkable really.

Oh I realised I was wrong about PB for quite a while now and also come to the conclusion I don't know a lot about football.

I wrote an article for All at Sea defending PB at his lowest earlier this season - I went anonymous, but wished I hadn't now.

There's an annoyance factor about posters who continually ask after every win 'where have the Brown outers gone now'. Well they're all obviously still here as otherwise, judging by those autumn poll results, our last home gate would have been about 1,500.

I often wonder where all the 'I was behind Brown all alongers' have come from, it seems to have multiplied over time, a bit like the amount of people who went to Bury away in 1991.

In fairness to those who felt time was up on PB, I had sympathy and some support.

We had gone on a poor and lengthy run of form and players weren't gelling well, whilst PB was linked elsewhere.

The club felt unstable at the time, with experienced players like AB struggling a little and new players being unproven, but the club were right to support PB, IMHO.

Even in that early season mess, the win at Sheffield United proved we had some quality in the side. I think that result could prove as important as any, this season, in terms of giving PB time to develop the squad.

There's an annoyance factor about posters who continually ask after every win 'where have the Brown outers gone now'. Well they're all obviously still here as otherwise, judging by those autumn poll results, our last home gate would have been about 1,500.

I often wonder where all the 'I was behind Brown all alongers' have come from, it seems to have multiplied over time, a bit like the amount of people who went to Bury away in 1991.

Hear hear...see Napster's post..brown nosing at its finest:winking:

Happy to admit that i thought Browns time was up earlier on in the season and i have always supported him so i don't believe it was unfair of people to question his position. Brown has done a superb job turning it around.

As for Ron, yes he done well sticking by managers for the majority but the financial situation of the club is still poor and that is what he is in control of. I don't trust him and could easily see financial difficulty causing him to break up a great squad and management in the future and treating staff and fans in a disgraceful manner. He has done it before! He lost my respect then, especially the way he acted as a man. That's not taking into account the new stadium which is the long term goal and so far a complete failure. I wont let success on the pitch which he only can take a very small ownership for blind his failings of what has full ownership for.

Strange old business - in one breath fans will denounce a manager for a perceived lack of loyalty if he deploys the standard "it's flattering" response to being linked with another job, then with the next they'll advocate that the club sever the same sacred bond on account of an underwhelming quarter of a season following solid year on year progress.

Loyalty cuts both ways, and thankfully Ron has shown enough to lead us here rather than spending a sizeable wad paying PB off and then praying to find somebody capable of doing a better job with a squad not of their own choosing.

I deliberately stayed out of the Brown debate back then as I wanted him to succeed and I didn't go to Bury back in the day. I now feel very uncomfortable in myself and probably won't be able to sleep tonight.:unsure:

Back