• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

This is key. At the end of the day you can tell your team to play the ball out the back and pass in to feet at all times but when you're asking defenders like John White to do so it's not going to work. We have players that are limited technically and when they're put under pressure and are low on confidence they're going to clear the ball, it's only natural.

Glad someone made this point. If Chris Powell is sitting there in the dressing room saying "Lads, what I want you to do is focus on lumping it to our 5ft 9ins lone striker for 90 minutes" then I will bow and admit that he's probably not the right man for the job.

But limited players when put under pressure, or, as has possibly been happening recently, lacking confidence, will play it long and avoid taking risks.

Taylor Moore was a big miss against Plymouth for a number of reasons, but this was one of them - he is not afraid to look for a pass out of the back and I suspect that is one of the reasons he was signed.

...Statistics are very powerful but they can also be highly misleading. Can anyone provide Tilson's win ratio pre-2007?

In all competitions prior to kick-off in the first match of the 2006/7 season I believe Tilson won 66 of 144 matches, which works out at a win ratio of 45.83%.

On the other hand we've lost 50% of our league games this season.

A higher win percentage than sturrock, Tilly and the orange one. While dealing with the worst injury list I've seen in over 30 years.
Yeah Powell out......

If Powell gets close to achieving the same as Tilson and Brush in year 2+3 we'd all be delighted.

There's always next season.It's still not too late for the play offs either.

It was good to hear Humphrys talk about targeting the playoffs after the win at Bradford. Whether we will get there or not who knows - its not looking likely at all - but we should be aiming for it and believing in it until its mathematically impossible.

One win and suddenly we're world beaters. :Facepalm:

The real test will come on Saturday. If we manage to beat Luton who are flying then maybe we have turned a corner.

One win and suddenly we're world beaters. :Facepalm:

The real test will come on Saturday. If we manage to beat Luton who are flying then maybe we have turned a corner.

Absolutely this. As well as we played Saturday, it is only one step further towards safety. Been here a few times before this season only to be right back to square one the next game.
Our home form is appalling and we are up against one of the in form sides of the division who are bringing a big following with them. Yes we looked good against Bradford but we need to start following results like this up and go on a proper decent run.

Would be interested to compare ratios of said managers after one year in charge
Arthur Rowley's record at Southend United after one year in charge was as follows:-
Debut: 03/03.70 (Oldham Athletic away lost 3-0) until 26/02/71 (Cambridge United home 1-1). Played 48 games in League (44) & Cup (4) - Won 16 : Drew 14 : Lost 18. scored 61 against 74.
This gives Arthur Rowley a win ratio of 33.33% (1969-70 13 matches, 1970-71 35 matches).

This is key. At the end of the day you can tell your team to play the ball out the back and pass in to feet at all times but when you're asking defenders like John White to do so it's not going to work. We have players that are limited technically and when they're put under pressure and are low on confidence they're going to clear the ball, it's only natural.
I think John White is under rated he had played his heart out for Southend and scored vital goals as well you want better cost a lot of money

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell wants to build on the progress made in his first year in charge, starting with tomorrow’s clash against Luton Town at Roots Hall.

More...

The original post was If we make the play offs, I replied if we continue to struggle

Maybe top half this week ,come Sunday ....

UTS

I’d cautiously say that the only thing we’re struggling with this season, is our injury crisis. If that continues, then yeah we could be in a bit of bother.

Either way, I still wouldn’t blame Powell for it.

Back