• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

Starting at home with a 1 9 1 formation really breeds positiveness. Why is it when he is forced to change to a 4 - 4 - 2 formation we start to play better? I have been watching Southend since Oct 1960 and am getting seriously close to stop watching Negative Dross. It seems that CPs tactic is to equalise first!

Actually we started playing better last 10/ 15 mins of 2nd half and that was still with Wing backs. Difference was they actually pushed forward and started creating width.
We moderately improved 2nd half but then we were complete crap again and that was 442

Last edited:
I do actually think that Ron will pull the trigger if we lose our next 3 games. We would be a point or two outside the relegation zone if that was to happen and that would be unacceptable in Ron's eyes. He won't risk relegation what with the new stadium on the horizon.
Attendances are falling as well which he also won't like one bit

LOL - if I were to kick a divot out of the ground it would show more progress than the last god knows how many years. I'm beginning to think this new stadium is the biggest Aprils Fools joke and we've all fallen for it.

Nonsense. Simon Cox? Stephen Humphrys? Oxley (when he's fit). Most of our players are Lg1 quality. There is something very wrong in the managerial setup where most of the players put in sub-standard perfomances week in week out, they (apparently) look unfit and they don't seem to care.

The buck stops at Powell & his team in my eyes.

I said our current starting XI wasn’t good enough for this league. I’m not including Oxley, as he’s not available atm.

Our SQUAD is more than capable of being a good/decent Lg1 team, but we don’t have access to it right now, and haven’t for months.

So, let’s see, who is good enough for L1

Bishop - not yet, will be in future (least of our concerns atm)

Turner - No
White - As a bit part player, maybe
Moore - Yes
Elvis - No

Mantom - On his day
Yearwood - No, he’s a prospect
Dieng - No
Hart - Don’t know enough

Cox - Yes
Humphrey’s - Don’t know enough

If the buck stops will Powell, can you pinpoint for me, the decisions & actions he’s undertaken, which in your opinion have been wrong

If the buck stops will Powell, can you pinpoint for me, the decisions & actions he’s undertaken, which in your opinion have been wrong

Tactics - Playing Cox upfront on his own at home.
Fitness - by all accounts the players are unfitter than last season (caveat is this only by word of mouth).
Letting Robinson go on loan when we failed in getting a replacement. Yes he's ****e, but thats better than no one and reverting to point 1).
Malaise in the team - I keep reading that players a playing like their not paid. Apparantly they are, so where has this attitude come from?

So what do you put this down to?

Fitness - by all accounts the players are unfitter than last season (caveat is this only by word of mouth).
Letting Robinson go on loan when we failed in getting a replacement. Yes he's ****e, but thats better than no one and reverting to point 1).
Malaise in the team - I keep reading that players a playing like their not paid. Apparantly they are, so where has this attitude come from?

I’ll never agree with playing one upfront, at any time, so fair point. I can only imagine it’s due to the lack of options to partner him with. I mean, Hopper was doing well until the injury. But who’s good enough to fill the void?

As for fitness - again, it’s an issue of Kids & old timers. What other club do you see youngsters expected to play 90 mins? And that’s on top of the oldies such as Turner, Kighty & White who haven’t got 90 minutes in them.

I think the overwhelming majority of us on here, all wanted Robinson out, as he was useless & was a drain on funds. That’s happened, and it’s still not good enough? The argument of having nobody else is pointless, because if he’s not good enough, then he’s not good enough. Having him here won’t change anything. In fact, after Kelman’s sparkilng introduction, you’d be hard pressed to find anybody who thought Robinson was more deserving of a start over him. It’s simply unfortunate that the player(s) we had lined up, made a U-turn at the 11th hour. Another slice of bad luck for us.

The players are clearly down & have a lack of confidence. Losing games will do that. Unfortunately we don’t have the quality on the pitch to change that around overnight, and so the vicious cycle will continue. We’ll pick up some results here & there, but ultimately lose more than we win. I don’t like it anymore than anyone else on here, but I absolutely fail to see how it’s Powell’s fault, and how he’s become a bad manager in the space of a few months.

Both points in bold are purely conjecture. If Cox and Moore weren't getting paid they wouldn't be putting the effort in and believe me they both put a shift in every game

As for fitness, not sure your or I are qualified to assess the fitness of anyone

Don't agree with this at all; the majority of those that started on Saturday are good enough for this league, and are capable of better performances than that.

Also, there are alternatives; we have 2 pretty good wingers on the bench, who can't be any worse than those currently playing.

We haven't got enough pace to play 5-3-2, you need at least one quick forward and quick wing backs, we don't have any of those.

They’re really not. And if we’d have a full squad to choose from, the majority of them wouldn’t be anywhere near the bench, let alone the starting XI

Two or three (at most) are good enough, however the rest are out of their depth, not ready yet, or simply not good enough.

That is the reason we are in the slump we’re in, because the players aren’t good enough. You could literally install any other manager in the world right now, and nothing would change. There is no human being on his planet who will make those players better at what they do, overnight.

Starting at home with a 1 9 1 formation really breeds positiveness. Why is it when he is forced to change to a 4 - 4 - 2 formation we start to play better? I have been watching Southend since Oct 1960 and am getting seriously close to stop watching Negative Dross. It seems that CPs tactic is to equalise first!

Is this worse than under Brown? Or going back further, Steve Wignall? Rob Newman?

Sturrock performed a minor miracle at this place, yet his brand of football was torturous

Both points in bold are purely conjecture. If Cox and Moore weren't getting paid they wouldn't be putting the effort in and believe me they both put a shift in every game

As for fitness, not sure your or I are qualified to assess the fitness of anyone

I never said I was, I added the caveat of word of mouth.

They’re really not. And if we’d have a full squad to choose from, the majority of them wouldn’t be anywhere near the bench, let alone the starting XI

Two or three (at most) are good enough, however the rest are out of their depth, not ready yet, or simply not good enough.

That is the reason we are in the slump we’re in, because the players aren’t good enough. You could literally install any other manager in the world right now, and nothing would change. There is no human being on his planet who will make those players better at what they do, overnight.

Out of the starting 11; White, Turner, Moore, Hart, Dieng, Dru, Mantom, Cox and Humphries are all good enough for this league (I would even suggest Bishop has shown he can cope at this level). Of those 9, I would expect 7 to be near the first team, regardless of injuries (ignoring the fact that some are here, due to injuries i.e Hart)

Out of the starting 11; White, Turner, Moore, Hart, Dieng, Dru, Mantom, Cox and Humphries are all good enough for this league (I would even suggest Bishop has shown he can cope at this level). Of those 9, I would expect 7 to be near the first team, regardless of injuries (ignoring the fact that some are here, due to injuries i.e Hart)

Sorry Jay, I would disagree with 2 above. I think Turner is on his last season to be honest. OK not bad in the air but played a part in one of Bristol's goals on Saturday and not the first time this season, and he even scored a home goal in one game. He is simply too slow to play against most decent L1 teams now. Dru is really annoying me. I know he is young etc etc but he needs a reality check. Sort himself out or have a spell in L2.

Bishop - I personally think he has been better this season that Ox. It would be interesting to see some game per conceded goal stats for the pair of them

Our next 6 fixtures are:
Charlton (A)
Doncaster (A)
Pompey (H)
Accrington (A)
Barnsley (H)
Blackpool (A)

four very tough away games and two home games we will probably lose the very best we might get is four or five points from these games. This will leave us either in or very close to the bottom four. Relegation is a very real possibility unless something drastically changes.

dont see us picking up many points from these fixtures possibility at Accrington.
then we got
Scunthorpe away never get much there
Wombles at home who are in a relegation battle
PeterBoro away pushing for play offs
Shrewsbury home we should get something
i wont go on eveyone knows what is a head of us think it will be very tight god forbid we have to get something on the last day against Sunderland let hope they wont have anything to play for as they will already be promoted and its party time

To put it bluntly, with that list of players, we are where we deserve to be.

White - No. good squad played. Useful for covering here & there. Not good enough to play a full Lg1 season from a starting perspective. Lennon/Demi would start over him.

Turner - No. Legs are gone. Simply not good enough for this level. Lennon would start over him.

Moore - Yes

Hart - Not seen enough. Not convinced but willing to give him time. Coker would start over him.

Dieng - No. would be acceptable as a squad/backup player, not as a starter. He starts at the moment, as we have no other options.

Dru - A great prospect, who’s currently being dropped in at the deep end & having a world of expectation lumped on his shoulders. He’s simply being forced to do too much, too quickly, and as such, his performances have suffered. For that reason, I don’t believe he’s ready for this level.

Mantom - I think there’s a decent player in there somewhere. He’s in and out of form, but I think he’s being let down by his supporting cast. He’s good enough to be challenging for a starting spot undoubtedly.

Cox - I would agree he’s Lg1 level.

Humphreys - Another one of whom we haven’t seen enough to make a fair judgement yet. Hopper would probably be starting over him though.

Furthermore, our goal scoring record suggests we are where we deserve to be. We’re averaging just over a goal per game, and are currently the joint 11th top scorers in this league. Similarly, we’re 13th on the list of goals conceded. That’s all the hallmarks of a mid-table team, who are going to probably lose a bit more than they win. That unfortunately, is what we are atm.

However, if we find ourselves in the same situation when we see the likes of Barrett, Bunn, Oxley, Hyam, Coker, Lennon, Demi & Hopper return, then questions would need to be asked.

Although I firmly believe that those additions would make this team look very different, and we wouldn’t be questioning the management.

To put it bluntly, with that list of players, we are where we deserve to be.

White - No. good squad played. Useful for covering here & there. Not good enough to play a full Lg1 season from a starting perspective. Lennon/Demi would start over him.

Turner - No. Legs are gone. Simply not good enough for this level. Lennon would start over him.

Moore - Yes

Hart - Not seen enough. Not convinced but willing to give him time. Coker would start over him.

Dieng - No. would be acceptable as a squad/backup player, not as a starter. He starts at the moment, as we have no other options.

Dru - A great prospect, who’s currently being dropped in at the deep end & having a world of expectation lumped on his shoulders. He’s simply being forced to do too much, too quickly, and as such, his performances have suffered. For that reason, I don’t believe he’s ready for this level.

Mantom - I think there’s a decent player in there somewhere. He’s in and out of form, but I think he’s being let down by his supporting cast. He’s good enough to be challenging for a starting spot undoubtedly.

Cox - I would agree he’s Lg1 level.

Humphreys - Another one of whom we haven’t seen enough to make a fair judgement yet. Hopper would probably be starting over him though.

Furthermore, our goal scoring record suggests we are where we deserve to be. We’re averaging just over a goal per game, and are currently the joint 11th top scorers in this league. Similarly, we’re 13th on the list of goals conceded. That’s all the hallmarks of a mid-table team, who are going to probably lose a bit more than they win. That unfortunately, is what we are atm.

However, if we find ourselves in the same situation when we see the likes of Barrett, Bunn, Oxley, Hyam, Coker, Lennon, Demi & Hopper return, then questions would need to be asked.

Although I firmly believe that those additions would make this team look very different, and we wouldn’t be questioning the management.

You're basing that on current form though!!

Dieng has played the last few years in League One and was excellent at the start of the season.

Hart has spent the last couple of years playing League One (as well as Humphries).

Dru is class, and was being scouted by teams higher, so clearly is good enough for League One.

So regardless of injuries, they should still be good enough for a starting 11.

I would ask why so many of our players, who we know are capable of more, seemed to be going backwards!!!

So many people hung on on the bloody formations... look, it doesn't matter what formation he plays, it's the players who put it into action that's the issue.

Here is a formation based on players that are currently available -

Bishop

Elvis Moore White Hart

Dieng

McLaughlin Mantom

Yearwood Cox

Humphreys

On paper, that's 4-1-2-2-1. Humphreys is up front on his own ("No way!" I hear you say, but wait... humour me please.)

If he can hold the ball up, Cox and Yearwood can both play off him either side. When attacking, Dieng can move forward and it becomes a 4-3-3.

When the other team have the ball, Dru can drop back into a 4-4-2 or even Dieng can drop into the centre to make it a 5-3-2.

If necessary, subject to the other team's play, Dieng could drop into a central back 3 with Hart and Elvis pushing forward. Macca can tuck alongside Cox or switch wings. It can be whatever we want it to be.

The point I'm trying to make is that the line up is irrelevant... it's individual performances that matter. Personally, I'd like to see the players given the following instructions;

Elvis and Hart - concentrate on just stopping the crosses.

Moore and White - Just attack the ball and clear the bloody thing away from our box... don't try and be too clever.

Dieng - Sit in front of the back four and protect them. Look to play out wide to Mantom and Macca

Mantom - Be prepared to switch with Macca, follow in at the back post and shoot when you have the chance

Macca - Switch wings and get crosses into the box

Humphrys - Don't come wide or deep... stay central, hold the ball up and attack it in the box.

Cox - Play off Humphrys and shoot when you have the chance

Yearwood - Drive forward, support Cox and Humphrys and shoot when you have the chance.

Is that too simple?

So many people hung on on the bloody formations... look, it doesn't matter what formation he plays, it's the players who put it into action that's the issue.

Here is a formation based on players that are currently available -

Bishop

Elvis Moore White Hart

Dieng

McLaughlin Mantom

Yearwood Cox

Humphreys

On paper, that's 4-1-2-2-1. Humphreys is up front on his own ("No way!" I hear you say, but wait... humour me please.)

If he can hold the ball up, Cox and Yearwood can both play off him either side. When attacking, Dieng can move forward and it becomes a 4-3-3.

When the other team have the ball, Dru can drop back into a 4-4-2 or even Dieng can drop into the centre to make it a 5-3-2.

If necessary, subject to the other team's play, Dieng could drop into a central back 3 with Hart and Elvis pushing forward. Macca can tuck alongside Cox or switch wings. It can be whatever we want it to be.

The point I'm trying to make is that the line up is irrelevant... it's individual performances that matter. Personally, I'd like to see the players given the following instructions;

Elvis and Hart - concentrate on just stopping the crosses.

Moore and White - Just attack the ball and clear the bloody thing away from our box... don't try and be too clever.

Dieng - Sit in front of the back four and protect them. Look to play out wide to Mantom and Macca

Mantom - Be prepared to switch with Macca, follow in at the back post and shoot when you have the chance

Macca - Switch wings and get crosses into the box

Humphrys - Don't come wide or deep... stay central, hold the ball up and attack it in the box.

Cox - Play off Humphrys and shoot when you have the chance

Yearwood - Drive forward, support Cox and Humphrys and shoot when you have the chance.

Is that too simple?

The formation does matter. Whilst we may not have done a lot of business in January we did sign a striker to fill the Hopper void

But so far in the 2 home games I’ve seen where we’ve had zero width he has been stifled of any service

In the Bradford game we had Hyam sitting in front of the defence allowing Mantom and Dieng more license to go forward. Interestingly Dru didn’t play that day and we hammered someone. In Hyam’s absence Powell hasn’t seemed sure who is best to fill that defensive role so he’s played them all there

But when you have 2 forwards and 1 of them is an absolute lump they need the service. That needs to come from the wingers of the attacking midfielders. Since Bradford the midfield has been so deep it’s been embarrassing. May as well have had 6 centre backs

The formation does matter. Whilst we may not have done a lot of business in January we did sign a striker to fill the Hopper void

But so far in the 2 home games I’ve seen where we’ve had zero width he has been stifled of any service

In the Bradford game we had Hyam sitting in front of the defence allowing Mantom and Dieng more license to go forward. Interestingly Dru didn’t play that day and we hammered someone. In Hyam’s absence Powell hasn’t seemed sure who is best to fill that defensive role so he’s played them all there

But when you have 2 forwards and 1 of them is an absolute lump they need the service. That needs to come from the wingers of the attacking midfielders. Since Bradford the midfield has been so deep it’s been embarrassing. May as well have had 6 centre backs

Agreed... but the point I was trying to make is that the formation is fluid, not rigid.

I heard a rumour on Saturday that the team aren't impressed with CP's handling of Dru (i.e. his quote that he's the best player we have, and making him captain for the Checkatrade games). they think he's been bigged up too much to the detriment to the rest of the side. Could be complete cobblers, but......

Back