• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

I voted for the exact same team as Powell selected, but i certainly didn't expect him to play Cox up front on his own and stupidly expected Hutchinson to be up there with him which is ironically the change that Powell himself made at the start of the second half - didn't have any time to change the course of the play as we conceded so early in the second half.

He doesn't have much flexibility with the players given our terrible injury situation and the fact that we are embargoed until we pay HMRC but he sure as hell as the choice of what formation he plays.

Hutchinson is a midfielder- maybe number 10- playing people in their positions was one of the first comments SCP said and I am a SCP supporter

Hutchinson plays off the forward for the u-23's and as you say is a No. 10

So I guess with Coxy we thought we could give two number 10s a go..

We we at HOME verses a bottom side- surely we could have been outrageously brave and risked two up front?

You would hope so, but Hutchinson started off wide right midfield then switched with Bunn but certainly wasn't up front to support Cox.

Paul Clark called it absolutely right pre match when he said that with the selection that he couldn't see Cox getting any support or us getting anyone in the box.

Hutchinson plays off the forward for the u-23's and as you say is a No. 10

So I guess with Coxy we thought we could give two number 10s a go..

We we at HOME verses a bottom side- surely we could have been outrageously brave and risked two up front?
You would hope so, but Hutchinson started off wide right midfield then switched with Bunn but certainly wasn't up front to support Cox.

Paul Clark called it absolutely right pre match when he said that with the selection that he couldn't see Cox getting any support or us getting anyone in the box.

Paul Clark as often the case completely right - management and 90% of people in here completely wrong..

Problems on the field
Problems off the field

These are the exact same problems we’ve faced for the past 10 years.

There’s one common denominator.

without whom we'd have been shut down years ago.

Schrödinger’s Cat.

One thing we can say with a degree of certainty is that in the last 10 years, we’ve experienced all this before, and have not progressed at all.

Still moaning about managers,
still moaning about team selections,
still wasting money on old crocks’ wages,
still questioning if the players have been paid,
still avoiding the tax man
still wondering if we’re under an embargo,
still no new stadium.

First half embarassing.
Second half good - especially the first 15 of it.
Their first goal a farce.
Second goal decent.
Third goal offside, I’m pretty sure.
Amazing goal.
Will remember it for the rest of my life, that’s why I go and watch every week and also why I watch as much football as I can. In the hope I see something remarkable!
Some embarassing comments about Powell.
Clueless some of you. Another ****tttttttter supporting us.

UTB!!!!!!!
Happy Saturday! x

Last edited:
Powell's hands are tied somewhat by our financial difficulties, if the recent rumours are true then even more so.

However his demeaner in pre/post match interviews doesn't inspire any confidence. If your manager has the appearance of a broken man, what hope do we have? Let's see that smile and some positivity Chris, if the enthusiasm is not there any more then perhaps it's best to walk away.

Schrödinger’s Cat.

One thing we can say with a degree of certainty is that in the last 10 years, we’ve experienced all this before, and have not progressed at all.

Still moaning about managers,
still moaning about team selections,
still wasting money on old crocks’ wages,
still questioning if the players have been paid,
still avoiding the tax man
still wondering if we’re under an embargo,
still no new stadium.

and unless we suddenly tempt a passing billionaire I'd get used to more of the same.
I bore myself saying this but all the money is in the premier league, look at the parachute payments given to relegated clubs and tell me how anyone else is expected to compete.
I'm amazed we still have a club never mind four professional divisions.

First half embarassing.
Second half good - especially the first 15 of it.
Their first goal a farce.
Second goal decent.
Third goal offside, I’m pretty sure.
Amazing goal.
Will remember it for the rest of my life, that’s why I go and watch every week and also why I watch as much football as I can. In the hope I see something remarkable!
Some embarassing comments about Powell.
Clueless some of you. Another ****tttttttter supporting us.

UTB!!!!!!!
Happy Saturday! x

All three goals were embarrassing defensively from us. Third goal offside? I don't see how? Second half good :Stunned: better going forward perhaps, but still zero shots on target until the (fortunately given) pen; we were even worse defensively too.

Amazing goal - agreed. Too little too late though. I'm glad you're happy, does it feel good to belittle others who are understandably a bit ****ed off that they wasted £20 on watching a shower of ****. You might be ultra loyal, others won't bother next time.

Anyways UTB!, Happy Sunday:Moon:

All three goals were embarrassing defensively from us. Third goal offside? I don't see how? Second half good :Stunned: better going forward perhaps, but still zero shots on target until the (fortunately given) pen; we were even worse defensively too.

Amazing goal - agreed. Too little to late though. I'm glad you're happy, does it feel good to belittle others who are understandably a bit ****ed off that they wasted £20 on watching a shower of ****. You might be ultra loyal, others won't bother next time.

Anyways UTB!, Happy Sunday:Moon:

If you want to post on an open forum or comment in any open space you can expect to be called out or challenged. Some of the comments are an absolute embarrassment. The three goals. Terrible defensively. Completely right.

But I’m afraid I’m allowed to say the second half was good. You’re allowed to say it wasn’t. That’s how it works.

I’d say £20 well spent after seeing a player start his career with a goal you won’t forget. Where we are in the table is where we will finish. Look at the squad. Look at the lineup.

Don’t base where we should be on where you want us to be. Mid table team with the injuries. Top 6 with a fully fit side.

But **** me the first half. Absolute dire to watch, but, what can we expect with the injuries?

Last edited:
If you want to post on an open forum or comment in any open space you can expect to be called out or challenged. Some of the comments are an absolute embarrassment. The three goals. Terrible defensively. Completely right.

But I’m afraid I’m allowed to say the second half was good. You’re allowed to say it wasn’t. That’s how it works.

I’d say £20 well spent after seeing a player start his career with a goal you won’t forget. Where we are in the table is where we will finish. Look at the squad. Look at the lineup.

Don’t base where you want us to be on where we should be. Mid table team with the injuries. Top 6 with a fully fit side.

But **** me the first half. Absolute dire to watch, but, what can we expect with the injuries?

Fair enough OBD, you're obviously a dedicated supporter as am I. My worry is that others will stop coming after such a poor performance, I'm not sure that Kelman's goal would have even been witnessed by many of the casual fans who left early. Like it or not we need them or our finances are going to be even more ****ed.

Fair enough OBD, you're obviously a dedicated supporter as am I. My worry is that others will stop coming after such a poor performance, I'm not sure that Kelman's goal would have even been witnessed by many of the casual fans who left early. Like it or not we need them or our finances are going to be even more ****ed.

Yep. Fair. But the casual supporter still comes back. And if they didn’t stay and see one of the most remarkable things all of us have ever seen live, considering the player was 17, then they deserve not to see it.

We can all be hurt by football. But you get what you deserve. Stay till the end, even when we are playing like a bunch of lazy knob eds and sometimes you get what you deserve.

Let’s hope we bring in 3 players at least in the next week and inject a bit of inspiration. If I was the manager I’d play Kelman next home game no doubt and I’d tell the squad I was planning on it.

I think we’ve been a bit too comfortable and used to having good seasons. When you’re midtable - sometimes you loose sometimes you win.

Let’s dig in and get to 50 points ????????

It says something where you miss the player everyone slags off (Robinson).

UTB!

and unless we suddenly tempt a passing billionaire I'd get used to more of the same.
I bore myself saying this but all the money is in the premier league, look at the parachute payments given to relegated clubs and tell me how anyone else is expected to compete.
I'm amazed we still have a club never mind four professional divisions.
Absolutely correct.

Let's find the silver linings on the horizon. Bored with all the crap-trap and negativity. We all know it was poor, and we should be better... but we are also not a premiership club, with buckets of money and a huge squad and never will be, so get over it!

We have a manager and team totally ham-strung by problems that the chairman and board have failed to address over a 20+ year period. These are biting us hard again - so how exactly is that the manager, or the players faults...??

IF the rumours are true, the lack of motivation from senior players is no surprise. They have mortgages and young families too, and they will have similar money worries as the rest of us. In that situation I would be worried and not performing at my best either ?!

My positives are as follows, in no particular order:

1) we lost 3-2 in the end, when we were down and out at 3-0. Somehow, against all the odds, we woke up and got back into the game around the 75th minute. Far too late of course, but still - goal difference now 0, not -2. That will help us.

2) we only dropped down to 12th. That could have been far worse as well. Now, I know that points-wise we are closer to the bottom than the top, but have you studied the table? Note that there are at least 3 teams above us who could also be involved in and affect our involvement in a relegation dog fight? Reality is that this is a close league, anyone can beat anyone - no certainties.

3) Charlie Kelman! Just wow. Who knew that young man would have such a dramatic debut and have such a huge impact on the game? The chap on the Quest EFL show was raving about the goal, brilliant! It was a privilege to witness a very special moment in what I hope will be the start of a glittering career - that started right here at Roots Hall!

4) The youngsters. We have some seriously good young stars in the making who have come through our youth system, and are playing in our first team - albeit possibly prematurely. The trouble with young players is that they make mistakes. What they need in an ideal world is the experience around them to guide them and help them out when they mess up. We don't have that luxury right now. The trade off is we are going to remain inconsistent- so as fans it is our job to support and encourage, not complain, boo and systematically destroy these youngsters confidence!

5) Demi and Barratt should be back soon!

6) Ben Clarkson!!!

7) the number of times ex-shrimpers turn up at Roots Hall and score... just proves to me they were very able and capable, and somehow our very large band of idiotic and bullying boo-boys got to them and they couldn't do the business for us. Our current targets are Hendrie and Robinson... and I heard some big complaints in the East yesterday about Elvis and Hutchinson yesterday. Really...? See point 4!!

8) Simon Cox. Totally isolated up front week in week out, and we don't play to his strengths 99% of the time, at the moment by necessity - as his strike partner, Hopper, is out for the season. Yet, when it mattered, cool as a cucumber, that penalty was inch perfect!

9) the humour. I heard someone quip "nah, don't fancy it..." when Bunn came off injured and Hyam, Kightley and Macca were too busy having a chat at the corner flag. That made me laugh!

10) we know that a number of teams in L1 are at least as bad as us, and they don't have anything like our on and off the field problems... huge positive for me!

11) Dru clocked up 50 appearances... at 18 years old!

Substitute positives

12) John White - possibly not the most talented player in the squad, but probably the most reliable and underrated.

13) heard some Plymouth fans on the way out, totally deflated and bemused by conceding 2 goals in the last 15 minutes.

14) the feel-good feeling of watching said last 15 minutes made me feel far more positive and uplifted... reminded me that we are still in this, and this season is most definitely not over yet!

Last edited:
Let's find the silver linings on the horizon. Bored with all the crap-trap and negativity. We all know it was poor, and we should be better... but we are also not a premiership club, with buckets of money and a huge squad and never will be, so get over it!

We have a manager and team totally ham-strung by problems that the chairman and board have failed to address over a 20+ year period. These are biting us hard again - so how exactly is that the manager, or the players faults...??

IF the rumours are true, the lack of motivation from senior players is no surprise. They have mortgages and young families too, and they will have similar money worries as the rest of us. In that situation I would be worried and not performing at my best either ?!

My positives are as follows, in no particular order:

1) we lost 3-2 in the end, when we were down and out at 3-0. Somehow, against all the odds, we woke up and got back into the game around the 75th minute. Far too late of course, but still - goal difference now 0, not -2. That will help us.

2) we only dropped down to 12th. That could have been far worse as well. Now, I know that points-wise we are closer to the bottom than the top, but have you studied the table? Note that there are at least 3 teams above us who could also be involved in and affect our involvement in a relegation dog fight? Reality is that this is a close league, anyone can beat anyone - no certainties.

3) Charlie Kelman! Just wow. Who knew that young man would have such a dramatic debut and have such a huge impact on the game? The chap on the Quest EFL show was raving about the goal, brilliant! It was a privilege to witness a very special moment in what I hope will be the start of a glittering career - that started right here at Roots Hall!

4) The youngsters. We have some seriously good young stars in the making who have come through our youth system, and are playing in our first team - albeit possibly prematurely. The trouble with young players is that they make mistakes. What they need in an ideal world is the experience around them to guide them and help them out when they mess up. We don't have that luxury right now. The trade off is we are going to remain inconsistent- so as fans it is our job to support and encourage, not complain, boo and systematically destroy these youngsters confidence!

5) Demi and Barratt should be back soon!

6) Ben Clarkson!!!

7) the number of times ex-shrimpers turn up at Roots Hall and score... just proves to me they were very able and capable, and somehow our very large band of idiotic and bullying boo-boys got to them and they couldn't do the business for us. Our current targets are Hendrie and Robinson... and I heard some big complaints in the East yesterday about Elvis and Hutchinson yesterday. Really...? See point 4!!

8) Simon Cox. Totally isolated up front week in week out, and we don't play to his strengths 99% of the time, at the moment by necessity - as his strike partner, Hopper, is out for the season. Yet, when it mattered, cool as a cucumber, that penalty was inch perfect!

9) the humour. I heard someone quip "nah, don't fancy it..." when Bunn came off injured and Hyam, Kightley and Macca were too busy having a chat at the corner flag. That made me laugh!

10) we know that a number of teams in L1 are at least as bad as us, and they don't have anything like our on and off the field problems... huge positive for me!

11) Dru clocked up 50 appearances... at 18 years old!

Substitute positives

12) John White - possibly not the most talented player in the squad, but probably the most reliable and underrated.

13) heard some Plymouth fans on the way out, totally deflated and bemused by conceding 2 goals in the last 15 minutes.

14) the feel-good feeling of watching said last 15 minutes made me feel far more positive and uplifted... reminded me that we are still in this, and this season is most definitely not over yet!

^
Excellent overview, MsB.

For me who wasn't at the game, it's great to have a realistic view of how it went and where we are.

Things aren't perfect, but there are some positives from any match that can be taken forward.

Agreed on JW. I'm not his greatest fan, but as a squad player who can help out in the back four, he does a decent job.

Well I’ve read it all now, he’s League Two level at best, he’s an upgrade on Luke Prosser and that’s not a compliment. Notice when he’s in the team we concede more goals. Moore and Turner work well together bring White in and it goes to pot. He’s a good player to have as a back up because he can play across the back 4 but that’s about it! Had we had a full Stengel back four all season with no suspensions or injuries White would not be getting a look in.
I don't know what a stengel back four is Ricey but I'd love to see one:Winking:. More seriously, it's not JW's fault that we have so many injuries, and I, for one, am glad he is available and puts himself on the line every game for Southend when the chips are down. True, he is past his best, but time and time again he has put in goal saving tackles in games and he can only do what the manager asks.

Yeah, what an old has been, leaping to head home the equaliser against Rochdale the other week and getting stuck in where it hurts at the other end.

Back