• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

so much over-reaction on here. Chill out people.

The target this season was a play off challenge. We have a whole team out injured and are just short of that. We are forced to play loads of kids because we have to play whoever is available. If they got a knock, are out of form, low on confidence, issues off the field, not ready yet, anything like that - they play because they have to.

As a result of all that we are frustrating and madly inconsistent. Every game we lose people on here lose their minds. they start going on about sacking the manager, being guaranteed relegation to the Essex Senior League, going bust etc. etc. Sack the manager with what money? Replace him with what money? Sign the new manager's players with what money?

If we carry on like we have been we'll stay up. It won't be pretty but it'll be fine. If we get the striker we need we'll be even more comfortably mid table.

Everyone just needs to keep a far more level head. What was Powell meant to do yesterday? Don't play one up top? We only have one striker! Who of the 0 other senior players should play? Wabo? Off the back of a 20 minute cameo one year ago? Who can't get in teams in the conference? We've seen with McCoulsky, Hutchinson etc. that playing youths when they aren't ready is a risk. And saying 'it can't be any worse' is complete toilet.

Just relax people, we win some, we lose some. We are a mid table team about where we should be given the injuries. So just take it a bit easier

Why should we chill out, we were 3-0 down at home to the team second from bottom.

You ask what CP should have done up front - well personally he should put someone up with Cox, we know Cox can't do the lone striker role, so therefore try something different. How exactly could it have ended up worse than a defeat!!!!

I loved Chris Powell as a player. One of my favourites of all time. He is a really genuinely nice man and a decent ambassador for the sport, but as a manager he is not up to the task.

We are a team of complete snow flakes. No will, no desire, no aggression and no idea how to win games and entertain.

I'm sorry Chris but you aren't the answer mate.

Andy is though :Highfive:

Why should we chill out, we were 3-0 down at home to the team second from bottom.

You ask what CP should have done up front - well personally he should put someone up with Cox, we know Cox can't do the lone striker role, so therefore try something different. How exactly could it have ended up worse than a defeat!!!!

give us a name then. Dieng? I said what I'd have done, and that's part of my point. I'm saying people shouldn't say we can't play one up top then not even say who else they'd put up there. I said Hutchinson. And don't say Kelman coz that's using hindsight which isn't fair.

And also do chill. Everyone should. We are still mid table, pretty remarkable really. And also, it's only football

MK shrimper I am sorry you are talking bollox i’ll Have a £500 bet with you we won’t get relegated despite our injury list I look forward to hearing from you

give us a name then. Dieng? I said what I'd have done, and that's part of my point. I'm saying people shouldn't say we can't play one up top then not even say who else they'd put up there. I said Hutchinson. And don't say Kelman coz that's using hindsight which isn't fair.

And also do chill. Everyone should. We are still mid table, pretty remarkable really. And also, it's only football

IMO there were 4 options, Dieng, Kightly, Kelman and Ba - however, I'm not the manager so I don't know which one I would have gone with, that's the coaches and managers job to try the different options. All I know, is I wouldn't have gone with one up front.

I know it's only football, and personally I'm not that fussed, but you can't expect everyone to be happy at the moment, with 10 home defeats (and if this carrys on, how much longer will we be mid table) - and to add, I'm not fully blaiming CP for our current predicament.

How do you know it is hindsight re: Kelman?
I have been banging on about starting him for weeks. He has obviously been in Powell's thoughts for the last 15 games, since he bravely brought him on for two minutes when we were comfortably beating Southampton U21s in November.
He is clearly a natural goal scorer and Powell, for reasons only he will understand, failed to take a gamble on him when he has had next to no alternative.

That is why when most of the crowd were enthusing about his wonder goal on Saturday, I was seething in anger and frustration at Powell's pigheadedness.

Hi Mk that’s a shame although I am pleased you didn’t Make a counteroffer that we would be closer to the bottom than the top of the division ?

How do you know it is hindsight re: Kelman?
I have been banging on about starting him for weeks. He has obviously been in Powell's thoughts for the last 15 games, since he bravely brought him on for two minutes when we were comfortably beating Southampton U21s in November.
He is clearly a natural goal scorer and Powell, for reasons only he will understand, failed to take a gamble on him when he has had next to no alternative.

That is why when most of the crowd were enthusing about his wonder goal on Saturday, I was seething in anger and frustration at Powell's pigheadedness.

I’m going with the fact that only 7 people said to start him in the pre match thread and you werent one of them!!!!????

I’m going with the fact that only 7 people said to start him in the pre match thread and you werent one of them!!!!????
That might be connected to the fact that I don't tend to contribute to that particular pastime.

The basic complaint here is that Powell takes less grief than Brown, because he’s got credit in the bank from his days as a player. It’s true - it’s not fair, but that’s football.

.......and he doesn’t tout himself for every other managerial vacancy (dream job) that becomes available.......

That might be connected to the fact that I don't tend to contribute to that particular pastime.

Maybe you should? Maybe if you actually say the team you’d pick and your reasons why you’d have a little more credibility than blindly saying you’d have picked him to start AFTER he scored a once in a lifetime freak goal......

Maybe you should? Maybe if you actually say the team you’d pick and your reasons why you’d have a little more credibility than blindly saying you’d have picked him to start AFTER he scored a once in a lifetime freak goal......
I'm not looking for credibility. I know what I have been saying the last few weeks. Sorry I haven't found it necessary to have to share my every thought and view with Shrimperzone as well as with my friends and fellow fans.

I'm not looking for credibility. I know what I have been saying the last few weeks. Sorry I haven't found it necessary to have to share my every thought and view with Shrimperzone as well as with my friends and fellow fans.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and whether you seek credibility or not is fine. But if you offer it on here you must want it to carry some credibility or be taken seriously in some form. To do that you’ll find posting prior to an event really helps!!!

I’ve checked your posts and you’ve never once even mentioned Kelmans name let alone championed him to start games!!

Serious question, was Saturday your first actual sight? It makes no odds to me and like I say if you want him to start that’s fine but don’t expect anyone to believe you’ve been suggesting it for weeks while everyone else was in dumb ignorance!

Hi Mk that’s a shame although I am pleased you didn’t Make a counteroffer that we would be closer to the bottom than the top of the division ?

My limit is 50p and a Mars Bar, though on some occasions I could be pushed to £1.

Who is the answer then?

Get In a manager who can motivate the team to give 100%. It's the least the fans deserve.

Maybe a manager who sets his team up to actually win games by attacking the opposition.

Or maybe a manager who actually shows some passion in the dugout.

Just a few things that spring to mind.

This time last year we had just lost at home to Fleetwood. It was the last game Phil Brown was in charge of. Those of you with short memories may need reminding just how bad that was. Just how bad was the last 3 months of his reign. Poor team selections, crazy press interviews, players out of position, defensive tactics and no plan B. We'd turn up, concede and that was it.

A year later where are we.....

To be honest, with the exception of the crazy press interviews, we are in exactly the same place. The addition of course if having Oxely, Dimi, Coker, Lennon, Moore, Kiernan, Kyps, Barratt, Bunn and crucially Hopper on the injured list. That's a major factor. Up until the Hopper injury we weren't playing dreadful turgid football. We saw some pretty useful performances, where we attacked and looked full of goals. Those injuries would cripple anyone working with a minimal squad, SCP is no excpetion. But I am sure if the manager was anyone other than Chris Powell, the angry voices would be louder.

People have yelled about playing kids. We've got some excellent kids, but as we saw on Saturday you need your experienced pros to make sure they're ok if they are having a bad game. We didn't actually see that on Saturday though. We saw Hutchison look a mile out his depth, Elvis and Dru struggle badly. Where was Hendrie, Dieng, Kightly when they needed to step up. They were too busy suffering their own personal nightmares.

People moan about Theo, but didn't we miss him on Saturday? Cox on his own doesn't work, unless you have some real craft in the middle. We didn't.

Fact is..... you could bring any manager in at this moment, and nothing will change because nothing can change because we don't have the personnel to make that happen nor do we have the finances to buy our way out it.

I gather things aren't rosey at the club at the moment, I suspect the pressure around the lack of movement on the ground front has something to do with it (and I think that may be a far bigger concern than our dip in form) and this may now start effecting players.

What do we do about it? I dunno. I suppose from the fans perspective we attempt to be the twelfth man, but that's tricky with the understandable negativity that permiates from the stands.

Everyone has the right to their opinion and whether you seek credibility or not is fine. But if you offer it on here you must want it to carry some credibility or be taken seriously in some form. To do that you’ll find posting prior to an event really helps!!!

I’ve checked your posts and you’ve never once even mentioned Kelmans name let alone championed him to start games!!

Serious question, was Saturday your first actual sight? It makes no odds to me and like I say if you want him to start that’s fine but don’t expect anyone to believe you’ve been suggesting it for weeks while everyone else was in dumb ignorance!

Wrong ! ....... click here

Trust me, he's mentioned it more than once. Couldn't stop him at times !

I stand corrected...however I’m not sure one post in November where he was behind the suggestions of Dieng up front, utilising McCoulsky or Robinson or taking a “punt” on Wabo, Ba or Kelman really constitutes “banging on about starting him for weeks”!!

And he said yet to answer if Saturday was his first viewing of him?

I’d also say, at the risk of standing alone, that I’m not sure one freak of a goal in injury time (as good or as ballsy as it was) is a good reason to suggest he’s ready to start games now let alone weeks ago!!

Last edited:
Back