• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to make Ricky Duncan Director of Football

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
We can't continue with the managerial merry-go-round we've endured these last few years. We need some stability and long term planning.

The one aspect of the club that has been a success these last five years has been the Academy under the leadership and direction of Ricky Duncan. Leverage that and give him responsibility for the direction of the entire footballing aspect of the club. As DoF it wouldn't be his responsibility to coach or select the first team but it would be his responsibility to chart a way forward, establishing a Southend style of play and standards to be replicated from youths through to the first team.

Let him choose a head coach that subscribes to the same philosophy. Ron's record of appointing managers has been patchy at best anyway - remember Tilly fell into the job by luck when Martin wanted Ian Atkins. Pass that responsibility onto Ricky Duncan so that he can appoint someone that fits his vision and can ensure that our youth team products continue to graduate to the first team.

I don’t know who might be the best for a DoF role at our club and Ricky Duncan may be a good choice but we definitely need someone to fulfil this role and establish a strategy for our further development. I am not at all clear, at the moment, what the Southend philosophy is in terms of style of play. It all seems a bit random and unplanned. Sorting out the infrastructure and establishing a planned, way forward is key to our recovery. So much in recent years has been pinned on getting a new stadium without being clear on the footballing implications and requirements needed to towards develop a successful football team on the pitch. FWIW this could be the start of an exciting period in the club’s history if the right structure is put in place and with a good crop of young players coming through the ranks.

Can someone please explain to me the role of a director of football? I’ve never understood the point and wonder is it really necessary at a club of our status both financially and in the leagues.

To establish some consistency in the club so that when a manager departs you still have a structure and philosophy in place. The constant zig-zagging as you change managers from one who say favours the long ball to one who favours possession football back to long ball is unhelpful. Better to plot a straight line. For example Dieng was a player favoured by Campbell and we gave him a new deal just before Campbell left. If the new manager has a different idea of what he wants in a centre-half we're stuck with the contract and have an unhappy player on our books.

Ideally you have the youth, u23s and first team all aligned so that the academy graduates have been playing the Southend style since they were kids and can slot seamlessly into the firsts.

The idea is that managers come and go but they'll fit into the existing structure without having to rip it up and start afresh. That will save money in the long run (and Duncan is already on the pay-roll so it shouldn't be too much additional cost in the first place) - just think how much money we've spent binning assistants over the last couple of years. You want some continuity as it's cheaper and you don't have the new manager learning the hard way the same lessons as the previous manager.

I quite like the idea of taking away the chairman's role of choosing a new manager ! "Taking us forward" "a pathway for success" .. look, just try and win football matches, thats the one direction needed, everything after that normally falls into place. I think there is a style at SUFC and its a ball playing one, i say that because the fans kind of demand it and get vocal about players who are not comfortable on the ball.
I actually would be happy about Ricky in this role you suggest, i just think it wont happen until the stadium is built/building.

Can someone please explain to me the role of a director of football? I’ve never understood the point and wonder is it really necessary at a club of our status both financially and in the leagues.
This article explains it well in the context of a lower league club I guess. Whether this is what Ron envisages his perfect CEO doing in effect is quite possible too as Ron is as we know very hands on shall we say.

The role as described at Plymouth would provide a number of positives (but it needs the right person). Wouldn't necessarily be an additional headcount because to an extent its a reallocation of responsibilities.

To establish some consistency in the club so that when a manager departs you still have a structure and philosophy in place. The constant zig-zagging as you change managers from one who say favours the long ball to one who favours possession football back to long ball is unhelpful. Better to plot a straight line. For example Dieng was a player favoured by Campbell and we gave him a new deal just before Campbell left. If the new manager has a different idea of what he wants in a centre-half we're stuck with the contract and have an unhappy player on our books.

Ideally you have the youth, u23s and first team all aligned so that the academy graduates have been playing the Southend style since they were kids and can slot seamlessly into the firsts.

The idea is that managers come and go but they'll fit into the existing structure without having to rip it up and start afresh. That will save money in the long run (and Duncan is already on the pay-roll so it shouldn't be too much additional cost in the first place) - just think how much money we've spent binning assistants over the last couple of years. You want some continuity as it's cheaper and you don't have the new manager learning the hard way the same lessons as the previous manager.
I think Duncan fulfils some of it but not all- a big part is for example player recruitment. So in the ideal world someone who know the lower leagues, clubs, managers, players, scouts etc very well, and builds relationships with the Prem/Championship clubs to facilitate loans etc.

This article explains it well in the context of a lower league club I guess. Whether this is what Ron envisages his perfect CEO doing in effect is quite possible too as Ron is as we know very hands on shall we say.

The role as described at Plymouth would provide a number of positives (but it needs the right person). Wouldn't necessarily be an additional headcount because to an extent its a reallocation of responsibilities.

Thank you both, makes a lot more sense now. I always thought a DoF was brought in when a chairman had lost faith in a manager and it was similar to a vote of confidence. Reading the CV of the guy Plymouth have brought in he appears to be a similar sort of person to Duncan.

As you say RD would be the perfect candidate he’s been here since the dawn of time. Seen us through the good, the bad and the ugly! I would be happy for him to go into that role, it’s whether it’s what he would want.

I dont know duncan at all, by all accounts seems to have done well keeping things ticking over with the youth, there must be a reason why through all these years he has never been considered for a higher role. Maybe he doesnt want one? Or ron just doesnt see it?

Surely if he had higher ambitions he would have left a long time ago?

Seems unlikely to me that after all this time ron would suddenly make him director of football.

I quite like the idea of taking away the chairman's role of choosing a new manager ! "Taking us forward" "a pathway for success" .. look, just try and win football matches, thats the one direction needed, everything after that normally falls into place. I think there is a style at SUFC and its a ball playing one, i say that because the fans kind of demand it and get vocal about players who are not comfortable on the ball.
I actually would be happy about Ricky in this role you suggest, i just think it wont happen until the stadium is built/building.

The fans also get vocal when a player loses the ball playing out from the back.

We are more in desperate need of a CEO than DOF at this time.

I'm pretty sure we can get a new manager, assistant, CEO & DOF for a lot less the the suggested £1m we were paying Sol, Andy, Herman & the fitness guy

The idea of a DoF is more a redistribution of responsibilities. So should be no need for a head count. It more plays to the Spencer Prior observation that the first priority is to set the structure going forward. Probably a DoF role providing continuity would be a good idea IF the right person is in the role. Is RD that person? I don't know. Ideally the person would amongst other things head up player recruitment. Would RD have that in his bag, again I don't know.

However, if Ron were to be thinking along the lines of a DoF then really you do need to make that decision before deciding on the manager (as the managers role is then more of a Head Coach)

Of course Ron probably has no intention of having a DoF so it just an excuse to fill a few more pages.

Not sure I'd agree the fans want a ball playing style, a lot of the fans seem to get wound up whenever a pass is played sidewards even though that's an essential component of ball playing teams. The fans mainly seem to want a counter attacking style where once we've got the ball it's in the box within 4 or 5 touches.

I'd say a manager would be first priorty. Then some players.

No, if you go down this route you need the Director of Football to choose the manager. Bringing one in over the head of the manager never works.

We already have the only candidate for the job employed in a position that already covers part of the role: this is about expanding his remit to ensure a joined up approach across the club... and ensuring he makes the appointment instead of Ron.

Ricky Duncan should be the last person taking a new role imo. He is the only person at Southend United running something properly. Don't take him away from that. I'm pretty sure as well he has said in the past that first-team football isn't of any interest to him
I wouldn't see RD as a DoF requiring a change to his role really. He could continue to head the academy, and the DoF would be an extension to what he does... ensure that the management, coaching, and recruitment policy are all in sync with the academy and to avoid a reinvention every 12 months.

The main idea about a DoF is that they're someone who's in post for 10-20 years. RD is very settled at Southend and I think it's a great idea to try and inject a new approach into this significant rebuild.

Being a DoF doesn't mean he has to be scouting, or negotiating contracts, but just ensuring that there's a plan and strategy behind all of those things. Then the manager can focus on the coaching, match-day, and man-management.

Back