• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to make Ricky Duncan Director of Football

So we need a CEO and a Director of Football, do we? We're not Man United! That's a couple of hundred thousand of salary probably - who's covering that? We're a non-league club.
Equally we've chopped and changed managers in the last few years which isn't good and is unusual for us. But it just brings us in line with the rest of them. We were unusual in that we often featured in the long serving managers list - Tilson, Sturrock, Brown all lasted a few seasons which is relatively unheard of.

So we need a CEO and a Director of Football, do we? We're not Man United! That's a couple of hundred thousand of salary probably - who's covering that? We're a non-league club.
Equally we've chopped and changed managers in the last few years which isn't good and is unusual for us. But it just brings us in line with the rest of them. We were unusual in that we often featured in the long serving managers list - Tilson, Sturrock, Brown all lasted a few seasons which is relatively unheard of.
It’s like buying a chicken. Suddenly you don’t need to buy eggs anymore and eventually the chicken ? pays for itself!

CEO and Director of Football are completely different roles. We need a CEO for obvious reasons and a DoF is something that’s really good to have to ensure continuity and consistency, but I would agree not essential.

I wouldn’t go actively looking for a DoF, but if the opportunity presented itself for the right person, I’d jump at it. Both Ricky and Stan are the right people in my opinion, but I want them both involved next season and I wouldn’t want to pull Ricky away from his involvement with the academy either.

Don’t really mind what way round we do it, but getting Ricky and Stan heavily involved in the football side of things can only be a good thing.

CEO and Director of Football are completely different roles. We need a CEO for obvious reasons and a DoF is something that’s really good to have to ensure continuity and consistency, but I would agree not essential.

I wouldn’t go actively looking for a DoF, but if the opportunity presented itself for the right person, I’d jump at it. Both Ricky and Stan are the right people in my opinion, but I want them both involved next season and I wouldn’t want to pull Ricky away from his involvement with the academy either.

Don’t really mind what way round we do it, but getting Ricky and Stan heavily involved in the football side of things can only be a good thing.

Why would getting stan involved in the football side of things be a good idea? He was possibly our best ever player but since his career ended 15 years ago has been a left field pundit.

Why would getting stan involved in the football side of things be a good idea? He was possibly our best ever player but since his career ended 15 years ago has been a left field pundit.

Have you been living under a rock for the last three weeks?!

Hi Amsemp!

Radio and TV ( 2 Sports Journalist Awards and 4 other broadcast awards for my left field punditry!) have been a part of my last 15 years.

Set up a mental health charity from scratch which helps 30,000 people nationwide.

Produced, directed football series around the world, I think there's a post very early on here which puts the names in a list. There's probably a handful of people in football who can contact those guys direct and get them ( for free) to give their time.

Have visited dozens of clubs in England, Europe, Asia and Americas collating information on academies, grass roots football, senior team development, structures and performance analysis.

Was asked by the FA to give evidence amongst a small group within the game on the future of the English game.

Mentor players with mental health problems in the sport.

National Union of Journalists accredited journalist, which has to have a strict criteria to be accredited.

A contacts book due to the above of 15,000 plus football people around the world. An example today was your club Chairman wanted to communicate with one of the most influential people in English football. I put him in touch within 30 minutes.

As I've said elsewhere, feel free to ask me whatever you like, but please do your homework. I haven't been a left field ( pure theatre on talkSPORT, a station I walked into as a mess and walked out of being bought for £220m) pundit for some time.

If enough Shrimpers don't like the idea of my involvement at Southend United, that's fine. I'd still send best wishes from afar. My life is perfect as it is today. Perfect.

So I guess to everyone on here, it's your right to like, love, revere, despise whoever you like, but as the part of any team, over the course of two careers, I've bought way more value and results in my industry than any negatives.

The club is in the National League, it shouldn't be, I can accelerate the exit process into a higher division. I want to because although I acknowledge I don't love or breathe the club like you guys do, I can accelerate a process to make sure your love on Saturday is beating Peterborough or Oldham, not Borehamwood or Bromley.

I'm polite, courteous, extremely hard working, diligent and have energy for the fight.

If enough want me gone, I'll be on the first flight to Lisbon to enjoy a post lockdown siesta!

Always here, always will engage, feel free to ask questions. ?

Have you watched any of the zoom meetings as that will answer your question

Hi Amsemp!

Radio and TV ( 2 Sports Journalist Awards and 4 other broadcast awards for my left field punditry!) have been a part of my last 15 years.

Set up a mental health charity from scratch which helps 30,000 people nationwide.

Produced, directed football series around the world, I think there's a post very early on here which puts the names in a list. There's probably a handful of people in football who can contact those guys direct and get them ( for free) to give their time.

Have visited dozens of clubs in England, Europe, Asia and Americas collating information on academies, grass roots football, senior team development, structures and performance analysis.

Was asked by the FA to give evidence amongst a small group within the game on the future of the English game.

National Union of Journalists accredited journalist, which has to have a strict criteria to be accredited.

A contacts book due to the above of 15,000 plus football people around the world. An example today was your club Chairman wanted to communicate with one of the most influential people in English football. I put him in touch within 30 minutes.

As I've said elsewhere, feel free to ask me whatever you like, but please do your homework. I haven't been a left field ( pure theatre on talkSPORT, a station I walked into as a mess and walked out of being bought for £220m) pundit for some time.

If enough Shrimpers don't like the idea of my involvement at Southend United, that's fine. I'd still send best wishes from afar. My life is perfect as it is today. Perfect.

So I guess to everyone on here, it's your right to like, love, revere, despise whoever you like, but as the part of any team, over the course of two careers, I've bought way more value and results in my industry than any negatives.

The club is in the National League, it shouldn't be, I can accelerate the exit process into a higher division. I want to because although I acknowledge I don't love or breathe the club like you guys do, I can accelerate a process to make sure your love on Saturday is beating Peterborough or Oldham, not Borehamwood or Bromley.

I'm polite, courteous, extremely hard working, diligent and have energy for the fight.

If enough want me gone, I'll be on the first flight to Lisbon to enjoy a post lockdown siesta!

Great to hear from you Stan, but it wasn’t me that posted it! You have my full support, 100%.

You’re involvement and plans to take us forward has been one of the only real positives we’ve had in a number of seasons ?

Hello Stan,
that last post by rlb999 was out of order in my view. 99 percent of posters on here are right behind you mate. Please don't let a numpty comment put you off.
Your input into our club is crucial and highly valued by many here. And once again thank you for all that you are doing.

I won't be happy until everyone is happy, that's the truth. It's how I tried to play and how I'm approaching you guys.

As long as everyone knows why I'm here and can see it, feel it and measure it, I'm happy.

Hi Amsemp!

Stan,
We’re now at the end of what is the arguably the worst season in the clubs history & I should be drowning my sorrows & feeling like sh!te staring into the abyss of non league obscurity.

Yet oddly,for the first time in Christ knows how many seasons, I actually feel a distinct sense of optimism for our future with the appointment of a New manager & impending (hopefully) CEO plus possible promotions for the likes of Craig Fagan & Ricky Duncan & I hope, you.

I don’t believe I’m alone in saying that It feels like the intervention & initiatives by yourself have come at a crucial time without which our glass would seem a lot more than half empty as opposed to half full.
We are glad & proud you are standing alongside us as a fellow Shrimper, without sounding like a patronising old bugger, keep up the good work ? ??.

As you said yourself yesterday Mr C...
Keep. The. Faith ?

Last edited:
Manager: Phil Brown
Assistant: Craig Fagan
Director of Football: Ricky Duncan
First Team Coach: Michael Timlin
Club Ambassador & Advisor: Stan Collymore

What a team that would be!
Love it ?

Back