• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to make Ricky Duncan Director of Football

No, if you go down this route you need the Director of Football to choose the manager. Bringing one in over the head of the manager never works.

We already have the only candidate for the job employed in a position that already covers part of the role: this is about expanding his remit to ensure a joined up approach across the club... and ensuring he makes the appointment instead of Ron.
Zero chance of DoF making the choice not Ron- DoF would be part of the process but ultimately Ron would make the decision. Also you don't want DoF choosing managers, they are then tied to that decision and too often would go with the manager- the point of the DoF is to provide longer term stability even if managers change.

Aren't a DOF and a CEO essentially the same thing in football, it seems to me that it's just more people doing the same job that an old school manager used to do like Fergie at utd. That was his club and he ran it in his vision for the way they should play and who they should sign.

the question is who should decide the identity of our team, do all the academy teams play the same way and is it effective? if so RD might be worth a go.

Aren't a DOF and a CEO essentially the same thing in football, it seems to me that it's just more people doing the same job that an old school manager used to do like Fergie at utd. That was his club and he ran it in his vision for the way they should play and who they should sign.

the question is who should decide the identity of our team, do all the academy teams play the same way and is it effective? if so RD might be worth a go.
A CEO is more responsible for running the wider business- everything, and will be both financially and commercially very ware (hopefully) and will have experience of running a business (hopefully).

We need a CEO full stop. If we had a DoF the role would be defined and should result in needing one less in the coaching staff (probably first team) as they are taking some of the load away. So it should be relatively cost neutral whilst introducing joined up long term planning on the football, consistent player development across age groups, and a recruitment policy delivering on longer term goals (not just the short term). Also ensuring that recruitment and approach on contracts is consistent with the long term goals of the club and sustainability.

As with everything its setting the structure and then putting the best people in it. Actually as described by Spencer Prior.

Really like the idea of this. If we could get Duncan into a prominent position in the club and get Barrett/Maher/Fagan involved too, we’d have a team that knows this club, the supporters and history inside out. We’ve been crying out for that for years.

I don't know much about Ricky Duncan or his skill set. He's been there a while and the word on the street is he adds a lot of value - for that reason I'd want to keep him round the place so we get a little bit of stability.
Whether that makes him a good bet for DoF is another matter, just because he's been a really good Academy Manager. In the same way as some bloke who was a great left back in his day, isn't necessarily a good first team manager.
Equally DoF and Chief Exec are two well paid roles I'd guess. Do we need both? At our level isn't a Chief Exec the priority? An experienced manager of the Sturrock should be capable of directing football operations - we aren't a premier league club with a massive set up.

Guys, due to being absolutly potless and on the brink, and with money owed, barring a massive cash injection, we will not be getting a DOF or a CEO. The other thing is, Ricky Duncan is almost irreplaceable in the job he does. He has said before that he loves his job, he loves working and nurturing youth talent. He gets a massive buzz each time one of his young players steps on the field for the first team. He's so good at it that his job is one of the most secure in the whole of football. He's a straight talking honest guy. When he's not happy and the time comes when he wants to step up a roll, he will knock on Ron's door.

Although Directors of Football are employed by many clubs they can often be the cause of conflict with the manager/coach. They are also costly, not a good idea for a club of our limited means. If you want a good example of a blueprint on playing systems throughout a club from first team down to under 13's then look no further than Nuno Espirito Santo and the revolution he has worked at Wolves.

I have absolute respect for Ricky Duncan but it isn't always good to change the role for someone who is exemplary at what they do now. A gain, possibly, for the position of DoF,could be huge loss for the job he is doing.
Agreed, many occupations promote,staff until they cannot do the job.
Unless Ricky thinks otherwise, sit tight with your lot....

I can see the value of a director of football, but only if it's a properly though-through decision as part of a plan, not another random knee-jerk decision.
As to Ricky Duncan, I think he's too valuable to move. He needs to stay where he is because his is the only part of the club functioning well at the moment and we rely on it

A few people have alluded to a director of football increasing costs for the club, but If done well this simply isn't the case. Just think of how many players are paid up, released, signed on the whim of a manager who gets the sack a few months later. Part of the point of a director of football is to ensure continuity within transfer dealings. The turnover of players when a manager leaves and gets replaced by someone with completely different ideas costs far more than one additional staff role.

I am very surprised that a championship or even Premier league club hasnt tapped him up.

Seems like this is happening to an extent. With a manager in situ already that means he doesn't get to prescribe the values that will be adopted from first team to youth team though, which seems like an opportunity missed.

Back