• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to put our money where our mouth is?

Exactly that RHB. At the end of the Tilson regime, we were already in discussions with the necessary regulatory bodies about how and what we could do to help. As a member of officially recognised supporters' clubs/trusts - call them what you will - that advice and guidance is available to us in such case as might be needed.

The Shrimpers Trust is very highly regarded, and yes, we do already have a "fighting fund", much of which was raised by the previous "Save our Southend United" appeal, although clearly not enough to cover the extent of the debts of the current club.
Exactly that RHB. At the end of the Tilson regime, we were already in discussions with the necessary regulatory bodies about how and what we could do to help. As a member of officially recognised supporters' clubs/trusts - call them what you will - that advice and guidance is available to us in such case as might be needed.

The Shrimpers Trust is very highly regarded, and yes, we do already have a "fighting fund", much of which was raised by the previous "Save our Southend United" appeal, although clearly not enough to cover the extent of the debts of the current club.
Those of us who have our own business are only too well aware of the importance of cash flow, and so perhaps my calling this proposed regular commitment as a "fighting fund " is completely wrong. If the club knew they could rely on an say an additional 35k + a month (only for funding the purchasing of players or paying wages) it must make a difference surely?

I'd happily put more money if I knew it was controlled by someone I can trust.

The thing is, our help is unwanted.

I remember a few years ago there was a collection at a home match (I think the last time we knew players weren't paid) but Ron doesn't really want the fans stepping in.

He has also in the past been TOTALLY against outside investment - significant sums have been offered and he won't even entertain the thought.

He's going nowhere.

The thing is, our help is unwanted.

I remember a few years ago there was a collection at a home match (I think the last time we knew players weren't paid) but Ron doesn't really want the fans stepping in.

He has also in the past been TOTALLY against outside investment - significant sums have been offered and he won't even entertain the thought.

He's going nowhere.
I agree, but an investment is placed in order to obtain a return of some description? This would be a monthly gift in order to help towards the running of "our" football club.

I agree, but an investment is placed in order to obtain a return of some description? This would be a monthly gift in order to help towards the running of "our" football club.

Pay day loans are never the answer. There is plenty of money coming in to lower league football. We just need to reduce our wage bill....its as simple as that.

That would of course mean us fas would have to lower our expectations and not have a revolving door of mangers and players etc.

Pay day loans are never the answer. There is plenty of money coming in to lower league football. We just need to reduce our wage bill....its as simple as that.

That would of course mean us fas would have to lower our expectations and not have a revolving door of mangers and players etc.

I think in the modern world, a revolving door of players is almost impossible to avoid at our level.

Anyone any good will be snapped up by a bigger team. Anyone not up to it we can't wait to get rid of. Youngsters coming through the academy cut their teeth with us before getting sold on or dropping down and anyone who doesn't fall into that category is likely to be unspectacular in any direction, and we won't tolerate that!.

Most contracts I would say are either up or reviewed every 2 years, meaning that unless all the contracts start at the same time and are of the same length, there will always be 5 or 6 changes minimum and you'd only bring people in who were better than what there is, meaning those changes will almost always be reflected in the team selection.

Every year, the starting line up will therefore significantly differ from the one from the previous campaign.

Last edited:
I think it's a nice thought but there's no way you'll get TefRon to commit to using it on players etc - plenty of people have put money in their pocket to help the club in the past based on Ron's promises and it rarely ends with a satisfactory outcome for them.

I echo the earlier sentiments - join the Trust. The more powerful the main supporters trust gets, the more they will be able to help the club in its hour of need.

I think in the modern world, a revolving door of players is almost impossible to avoid at our level.

Anyone any good will be snapped up by a bigger team. Anyone not up to it we can't wait to get rid of. Youngsters coming through the academy cut their teeth with us before getting sold on or dropping down and anyone who doesn't fall into that category is likely to be unspectacular in any direction, and we won't tolerate that!.

Most contracts I would say are either up or reviewed every 2 years, meaning that unless all the contracts start at the same time and are of the same length, there will always be 5 or 6 changes minimum and you'd only bring people in who were better than what there is, meaning those changes will almost always be reflected in the team selection.

Every year, the starting line up will therefore significantly differ from the one from the previous campaign.

Yes I agree with what your saying. What I meant was the fans add to the pressure and expense of the revolving door.

Managers aren't good enough because they weren't your choice in the first place
We don't see the potential in players like Ralph or Hutch. even Hamilton.
Oxley isn't good enough for us and then any goal is blamed on him.
Kelman not strong enough, Wordsworth not hard enough, Timlin can't pass, Turner to old, Bolger not good enough on the ball and every forward isn't Freddy or Stan etc.

Our downfall started when we finished 7th in L1.....Anything other than play-offs the following season was seen as failure. Some even wanted brown sacked as they thought we should be in the automatics let alone top 6.

Ron and Brown were both under pressure and mistakes were clearly made chasing the pointless pre FF, dream of the Championship.

Had we been realistic and aimed for a top 12 finish we could have binned Ranger after his prison stint and sold Lenny in the summer and had a much better squad. PB expected Lenny to go all through August and Lenny played like he thought so too. In the end that unfit, unpopular, waste of space known as Nile Ranger failed us all rather than score the goals that could promote us.

RH became as place to moan but we had a few glorious months when CP had his honeymoon period. Same the following year, CP will take us up, he proved that last season
The moment we failed to take about 10 chances on the opening day v Donny it started. We had lost Dru, Barratt, Lennon and Hyam after one game. Then Dieng limps off at Luton. ..

The injuries never stopped and got even worse.....Many people expectations didn't and CP was disgracefully targeted......Have we ever recovered since?

I am not suggesting a loan of any description. Purely and simply a gift of (say) £10.00 per month from each season ticket holder for a year....this would equate to approx £420,000

Fully accept that, and with respect that is not the point. Am just asking how many of us would be prepared to contribute into a "fighting fund" for our Club? It would have to be run correctly of course. Could make a big difference to us next season (too late for this one I suppose, but if things ARE as bad as they seem???)

you’ve gone from blowing 420,000 on players when everybody is available on a free transfer and we already have the fifth highest wage bill in the division, to ‘a fighting fund which is run correctly’, in the space of 2 hours. Shrimperzone at its finest!

I am going to start a riot here (and don't care to be totally honest).

There are fans that moan about the finances, the way the club is run, a lot of which has to do with a lack of finances, we moan about staff and players not being paid (or paid late), a lot of which has to do with the finances ...... You get my point.

However, where do you all think a bulk of this money comes from ?

Let's face it, the club relies on getting bums on seats. We have been brilliant on attendances this year despite the performance, but when the club is doing it's budgets for the season, this starts way back in the season before and is partially based on that previous seasons P&L's.

So for those that like to avoid micky mouse cup games, or "I can't be bothered because they are ****" etc etc .... just remember, 'that' lack of support is stripping the club of income, despite what you feel about that particular cup, the chairman or the current players. And hands up, I feel the same way as many about the CheckTheTime and Cowabout cups, but the fact is we as a club need that revenue stream.

As an example, last season we played Cambridge (at home) in the Checkatrade. The gate was 1,421. The ticket price was £5. (adult). A revenue stream of approximately (based on those figures) returned £7,105 ..... then remove any concessions.
How much of that cost was used to cover the staff, stewards, ball boys and other outgoings for that game ?

A lot of you want to help, a lot of you have some great ideas, and a lot of you love the club and want it to survive .........Well ..... You could just go to the games. It all helps.

Rant Over

From where (genuine question)?

The market isn't "on" at the moment so there is no revenue from that.
At Wycombe they had a beer tent, with proper local brewed beer, that was open for home and away fans in the main car park.
A similar arrangement at the north east corner, involving Leigh or St George's breweries might generate some cash and attract a few in earlier?
Price it at round figure cash or contactless payment.

From where (genuine question)?

Ticket sales, TV money, merchandise, food and drink etc.

We turnover more than £5m a year. So since w have been back in L1 thats £25m. A wild guess would be 80% of that goes on players and coaching staff.

Could Demetriou survive on £3,000 per week instead of £4,000....I think he could so there you East Green,,,,,,Thats 400 subscribers towards your monthly scheme....Makes you think doesn't it.

P.S thats not a dig at East Green, the scheme makes sense but i don't see it as the best and obvious answer.

Ticket sales, TV money, merchandise, food and drink etc.

We turnover more than £5m a year. So since w have been back in L1 thats £25m. A wild guess would be 80% of that goes on players and coaching staff.

Could Demetriou survive on £3,000 per week instead of £4,000....I think he could so there you East Green,,,,,,Thats 400 subscribers towards your monthly scheme....Makes you think doesn't it.

P.S thats not a dig at East Green, the scheme makes sense but i don't see it as the best and obvious answer.
I agree Rigsby that in a perfect world SUFC would be operating well within it's budget and even making a profit. That, as we all know is not the case.

I know we all contribute by buying season cards etc etc, and loyally supporting our club. Simple fact is however, that we are really struggling financially.

It is however, OUR club, and we ARE able to do something positive rather than just slagging off Ron Martin (and I don't care what anyone says, we would be dead and buried without his support)

So at the risk of being repetitive, £10 per month from each season card holder would bring in £35,000 monthly, (£420,000 in a year)

Some card holders would I am sure, contribute more than £10

Money where our mouth is?

I agree Rigsby that in a perfect world SUFC would be operating well within it's budget and even making a profit. That, as we all know is not the case.

I know we all contribute by buying season cards etc etc, and loyally supporting our club. Simple fact is however, that we are really struggling financially.

It is however, OUR club, and we ARE able to do something positive rather than just slagging off Ron Martin (and I don't care what anyone says, we would be dead and buried without his support)

So at the risk of being repetitive, £10 per month from each season card holder would bring in £35,000 monthly, (£420,000 in a year)

Some card holders would I am sure, contribute more than £10

Money where our mouth is?

Well rather than just give an extra £10 why not upgrade to one of the match day meal deals and bring a few friends who wouldn't normally be going that day.

failing that what about the Shrimperzone day at the Centre Circle bar. If we took all 38 places we would get a very decent discount.....Plus everyone on here would have a chance to, as you say....Put their money where their mouth is.

The market isn't "on" at the moment so there is no revenue from that.
At Wycombe they had a beer tent, with proper local brewed beer, that was open for home and away fans in the main car park.
A similar arrangement at the north east corner, involving Leigh or St George's breweries might generate some cash and attract a few in earlier?
Price it at round figure cash or contactless payment.
They had exactly the same thing at Tranmere this season. The beer tent was mobbed.

I think it's a nice thought but there's no way you'll get TefRon to commit to using it on players etc - plenty of people have put money in their pocket to help the club in the past based on Ron's promises and it rarely ends with a satisfactory outcome for them.

I echo the earlier sentiments - join the Trust. The more powerful the main supporters trust gets, the more they will be able to help the club in its hour of need.

At the risk of upsetting everyone again, the Trust behaves like a supporters club.

No problem with that. I was a committee member of the Junior Supporters Club back in the sixties.

The problem as I see it is that we need a Trust for, as you say, the club’s ‘hour of need’ as opposed to it’s day to day support, for which we need a supporters club.

That’s why I believe there should be two entities - the Trust and a supporters club - or at the very minimum two funds, one for the ‘hour of need’ and one for day to day help.

No problem with the same people running both.

........and, for the avoidance of doubt, my question ‘what is the point of the Trust?’ on a different thread last week was in respect of the lack of a fighting fund after almost 20 years of the Trust.

At the risk of upsetting everyone again, the Trust behaves like a supporters club.

No problem with that. I was a committee member of the Junior Supporters Club back in the sixties.

The problem as I see it is that we need a Trust for, as you say, the club’s ‘hour of need’ as opposed to it’s day to day support, for which we need a supporters club.

That’s why I believe there should be two entities - the Trust and a supporters club - or at the very minimum two funds, one for the ‘hour of need’ and one for day to day help.

No problem with the same people running both.

........and, for the avoidance of doubt, my question ‘what is the point of the Trust?’ on a different thread last week was in respect of the lack of a fighting fund after almost 20 years of the Trust.

Oh yes, of course, because we're not busy enough doing what we're already doing, while all holding down our own jobs, and with our own lives away from football with all that that can entail!

You have NO IDEA of what goes on in the background - the amount of time spent chasing Club employees or the owner for answers/reaction etc. We were about to put a statement out at the end of last week when Ron pre-empted that with his assurances that people had been paid.

I find your remark odd - we are supporters so why would we not behave as supporters? As a school Governor for over 12 years, we were always told we should be a "critical friend" - I think that is what we are at the Trust too. The trouble is the "challenge" never affects the man at the top, the person you would hope it did. He is his own man.

There IS a fighting fund, I said this before. It's not just there from the "Save our Southend" appeal 11 years ago, but money that was there before that too. It is held within our accounts and clearly earmarked as such. That fighting fund would probably not last longer than a couple of weeks, a month at most though.

Oh yes, of course, because we're not busy enough doing what we're already doing, while all holding down our own jobs, and with our own lives away from football with all that that can entail!

You have NO IDEA of what goes on in the background - the amount of time spent chasing Club employees or the owner for answers/reaction etc. We were about to put a statement out at the end of last week when Ron pre-empted that with his assurances that people had been paid.

I find your remark odd - we are supporters so why would we not behave as supporters? As a school Governor for over 12 years, we were always told we should be a "critical friend" - I think that is what we are at the Trust too. The trouble is the "challenge" never affects the man at the top, the person you would hope it did. He is his own man.

There IS a fighting fund, I said this before. It's not just there from the "Save our Southend" appeal 11 years ago, but money that was there before that too. It is held within our accounts and clearly earmarked as such. That fighting fund would probably not last longer than a couple of weeks, a month at most though.

The only problem with my suggestion of each card holder committing to paying a fixed sum every month, would I am afraid only add to the work load of the Trust.

A scheme like this would have to obviously be policed properly by a trusted (and independant) part of the football club.

As a matter of interest OldBlueLady, what is your personal opinion of my suggestion?
Bearing in mind it is not for a fighting fund as such, but to accumulate a sum of money (that could be significant?) to be used for purchasing players in the future.

Back