• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to put our money where our mouth is?

East Green I 83

Schoolboy⭐⭐
Two things..........Many of us refer to this as "our football club" and a very large number continually berate Ron Martin for his insufficient financial support .
If each season ticker holder (3,500 I believe?) were to commit to pay a minimum of £10 per month to the club for twelve months that would equate to £420,000 at least . Condition could be made that the money were to be spent only on new players for example? Why not?

Possibly because our season tickets are already amongst the costliest.
Fully accept that, and with respect that is not the point. Am just asking how many of us would be prepared to contribute into a "fighting fund" for our Club? It would have to be run correctly of course. Could make a big difference to us next season (too late for this one I suppose, but if things ARE as bad as they seem???)

Two things..........Many of us refer to this as "our football club" and a very large number continually berate Ron Martin for his insufficient financial support .
If each season ticker holder (3,500 I believe?) were to commit to pay a minimum of £10 per month to the club for twelve months that would equate to £420,000 at least . Condition could be made that the money were to be spent only on new players for example? Why not?

Not a chance.

I won’t be a season ticket next season anyways, but I pay enough for that, travel, pre-match drink, food etc to justify sticking another £10 a month towards the Club.

Keeping a roof over my families head, and food on the table is a lot more important to me to be honest.

Probably the time for this sort of gesture would be if we have been liquidated and a new phoenix SUFC 2021 is rising from the ashes.

There are ways to do it that have some return for your money, I've bought some kits for relatives for Xmas that I probably wouldn't have done and have hired the pitch for a knockabout with my mates for example.

We pay enough as is

if anyone wants to set up a supporters company/trust/organisation and do all the admin and running around i would support it ..

certainly having a fund controlled by the supporters with a fully legal set of aims etc would be a good tool to have.

as you point out 420k should be possible to raise and the infra structure around it - legals/charity status/board etc - would be in place if -

a/ work with existing owner (board member?) to use the funds in best interests of the club

b/ the supporters needed a body to take over the club in case of liquidation or unforseen things ...

You are right Rayleigh Boy, I wonder if the Shrimpers Trust have considered something along these lines? Reactions above so far do not seem too positive, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes for us all to commit to individual REGULAR contributions?

You are right Rayleigh Boy, I wonder if the Shrimpers Trust have considered something along these lines? Reactions above so far do not seem too positive, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes for us all to commit to individual REGULAR contributions?
The thing is that the Shrimpers Trust already exists and I would be absolutely amazed if they have not considered any amount of scenarios. Probably the best way that supporters can help the club is by joining the Trust. That way any monies paid over are ring fenced in case the worst happens. There are lessons to be learnt from the demise of Bury. Many there put money into the club and look how that ended. Now they have a phoenix organisation which is dedicated to the resurrection of the team under a new banner.

Its not even small change for Sol, However having chipped in a 4 figure sum to keep us alive before I would do it again so save my beloved club

I've already bought a couple of players this season who are ripping a bathroom out at the moment.

The thing is that the Shrimpers Trust already exists and I would be absolutely amazed if they have not considered any amount of scenarios. Probably the best way that supporters can help the club is by joining the Trust. That way any monies paid over are ring fenced in case the worst happens. There are lessons to be learnt from the demise of Bury. Many there put money into the club and look how that ended. Now they have a phoenix organisation which is dedicated to the resurrection of the team under a new banner.

Exactly that RHB. At the end of the Tilson regime, we were already in discussions with the necessary regulatory bodies about how and what we could do to help. As a member of officially recognised supporters' clubs/trusts - call them what you will - that advice and guidance is available to us in such case as might be needed.

The Shrimpers Trust is very highly regarded, and yes, we do already have a "fighting fund", much of which was raised by the previous "Save our Southend United" appeal, although clearly not enough to cover the extent of the debts of the current club.

Back