• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We are in an enviable position! We are all but certain to be in the playoffs but seeing as we can't make the autos, is it time to rest some players?

In essence, is it really worth going into the playoffs knackered (just to try and get the 2nd leg at home) when we have a golden opportunity to gain an advantage over our competitors?

If I were Phil, I'd rest half his starting 11 for Fleetwood and the other half for Burton... in the last couple of years, the 2nd leg at home made no difference.

Point otherwise taken but I'd want to see us go into the playoffs on the confident crest of a further six points and as a team in form.

How knackered are they going to be with 2 games in a fortnight?

No need to rest anyone unless they are injured and confidence (ie winning) is probably more important than home advantage.

If we find ourselves 3-0 up, it might be an idea to bring Laird on for Leonard, Loza on for Corr etc to give them some match practice in case we need them from the bench.

If our players can't cope with playing 2 games in a fortnight then there's a serious problem, absolutely no need to rest players and disrupt the team.

Why loose momentum. Most of the players have had a decent rest at some point in the season with only Coker and Bentley playing almost every game. Personally why change it up.

Out of our last 3 league games we play Fleetwood and Burton - one or both we will meet in play offs.
I can see both arguments here - firstly go and give them a beating so to undermine their confidence when we play them again and secondly, play alternative line ups so not to show strongest hand.
Brown will have to consider this at least as will the managers of Fleetwood and Burton.

No need to rest anyone unless they are injured and confidence (ie winning) is probably more important than home advantage.

If we find ourselves 3-0 up, it might be an idea to bring Laird on for Leonard, Loza on for Corr etc to give them some match practice in case we need them from the bench.

What he said, you know what I mean, innit.

does anyone know if we have any players close to suspension re bookings? If so, then it might be a case to rest those who may be close.

Not for me. Play the best team and keep momentum going. We rested the team a few years ago before Doncaster in the playoffs which didn't do us any good.

Scunthorpe may have an issue if we 'rest players' and lose to Fleetwood, when, if we take a point off Fleetwood then Scunthorpe are promoted regardless of what their result is.

No, I wouldn't. The only area you might tinker with is midfield. They've all had a rest day today so I expect they'll be raring to go by Saturday.

I think beating Fleetwood on Saturday would send out a great message to all those in the play offs.
Sure it's no guarantee that we will win at Wembley ( or indeed get through) , but it will put doubts in others minds.
Equally , if Fleetwood were to best us we'll , it would give them great belief.
Saturday not crucial , but IMO very importantly.

The team are all buzzing at the mo and want to play and Win the rest of the rest of the games. Don't forget this is Southend here and Fleetwood have an outside chance of promotion, Burton want home advantage on the return leg..... Oxford face Newport and Northampton. This is a scenario but we loose the 2 games 3-0 and Oxford win 3-0 both games, we're still here in Lancashire League 2. Lets get a positive result first before talking about resting players.
Just a thought. :smiles:

Quote from Pak Power

does anyone know if we have any players close to suspension re bookings? If so, then it might be a case to rest those who may be close.

All cards rescinded as of 2nd Sunday of April, only worry was John white but we're all ok that side. it's the red cards we have to concern ourselves with.

Absolutely this !! :happy:

Apart from momentum and form and the fact we are only playing one game a week, which everyone else has rightly said, the other fact is the two teams we are about to play are two we may well end up playing in the playoffs. As such those games still mean plenty, beating either could give us a nice psychological boost.

We could also still steal 5th place so there is plenty to play for. You can argue that being at home second leg makes no difference, but it makes plenty of difference to us supporters, Id rather be there the match that it gets decided on if nothing else.

I would be tempted to give all of the subs a bit of game time over the two games. What we don't want is for somebody to get injured and have to bring in a replacement who hasn't played for a couple of weeks.

Back