• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Again, this isnt too complimentary but at least we are getting some coverage at last.
From todays edition of The Times

Eastwood spots chance to save Southend
By Paul Connolly
Southend United 1 Lincoln City 1

AS THE RUNNERS glimpse the finish line, their legs tighten and their lungs gasp for oxygen. They struggle to remember what it was that brought them to the head of the pack and they plough on stiffly, just concentrating on not making mistakes, desperate for the relief of the end.

This excruciating draw between two sides with tightening limbs at the top of Coca-Cola League Two would have offered sustenance to those who dismiss football as just 22 men chasing leather around a field. Southend United, who before Saturday’s game were in the third automatic promotion place, must take much of the blame for the 86 incident-free minutes that passed before a late flurry of activity. After all they have something of a reputation for being the fourth tier’s footballing aristocrats, their sweet, succinct passing regularly bringing an average of 5,400 people to Roots Hall, an increase of 1,000 on last season.

They are also the division’s form side, this being their thirteenth straight game unbeaten. Indeed, Ben Futcher’s 87th-minute headed goal for the visiting team was the first home league goal that Southend had conceded since Christmas. Given this backdrop, you would have been forgiven for expecting them to administer a footballing lesson to their promotion rivals.

Keith Alexander’s Lincoln City side, like many of their predecessors, have a reputation for concentrating on the less edifying aspects of the game. They press hard, they battle hard, they like getting the ball to their strikers quickly and they rely on man mountains at the back. However, the only lesson doled out on Saturday was that fear of failure is the enemy of creativity. Southend were awful — tentative, nervy and lacking focus. Lincoln, to their credit, were slightly better and in Gary Taylor-Fletcher had the most dangerous player.

But it is all relative. Until Futcher nodded in Kevin Sandwith’s corner and Freddy Eastwood equalised three minutes later from the penalty spot after Lee Beevers’ clumsy foul on Mark Bentley, there had been little of merit on display, least of all the limp performance of Clive Penton, the referee. His poor game gave both managers something to focus on away from their teams’ atrocities. Steve Tilson, the Southend manager, said: “Their goal should have been disallowed and the penalty was the first decision that we got all afternoon.”

The amiable Alexander was slightly more florid. “It was a perfectly good challenge from Beevers. I was amazed when he pointed to the spot,” he said. Most of us were merely grateful that the official eventually blew for full time.

Like the report. Up to the standard I'd expect from The Times.

I'm not sure how to read his analysis of our team. It looks as thought he author is taking a "good team on an off day" persepctive of us. In fact, the praise, although sparse, is rather glowing.

Have to say that I think that report is spot on and does praise us in a backhanded way i.e. we should on form have been capable of enough good football to play them off the park. How many times did the full back get into a position where Flavs could pass to them rather than lump it, which invariably ended with the Lincoln centre halves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 14 2005,09:32)]even the Metro has a picture of Freddy in it today, they're all jumping on the Southend bandwagon
Even the Scottish Metro has a picture of Freddy in it this morning.

Blimey, things are looking up in the publicity stakes!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh_Blue @ Mar. 14 2005,08:39)]After all they have something of a reputation for being the fourth tier’s footballing aristocrats.
We have beem called a lot of things over the years, but this is a new one on me.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 14 2005,09:11)]Like the report. Up to the standard I'd expect from The Times.

I'm not sure how to read his analysis of our team. It looks as thought he author is taking a "good team on an off day" persepctive of us. In fact, the praise, although sparse, is rather glowing.

Yeah, overall, I would say it was complimentary, especially the bit about being the 'fourth-tiers footballing aristocrats'. Fair play to the guy who wrote it, I say. The match, by all accounts, was pretty dire, but he didn't judge us on the merits of one poor game, but by the (outstanding (IMHO)) quality of football we've been playing throughout the season.

A key point that he does make, though, was that this game was between two teams who are pushing hard coming to the last stages of the marathon, having got themselves in to decent positions. But now the fatigue might be starting to tell. One thing we've done really well this season is scrape results. Sometimes games that on paper we should've easily got something from, but, overall, matches that in previous seasons we might've come away from with nothing.

What I think we need now is something that will just rejuvenate the squad a bit, in preparation for the final push. If we were able to get a couple of new faces in I think that would be a great statement of intent and hopefully it would propel us forward to where we all want to see the club go!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonesy tap-in @ Mar. 14 2005,11:39)]What I think we need now is something that will just rejuvenate the squad a bit, in preparation for the final push. If we were able to get a couple of new faces in I think that would be a great statement of intent and hopefully it would propel us forward to where we all want to see the club go!
Interview with Tilly just put up on the offical site about Maher picking up a 2 match ban for his 10th yellow card suggests that there may well be new arrivals this week so watch this space...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Mar. 14 2005,10:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh_Blue @ Mar. 14 2005,08:39)]After all they have something of a reputation for being the fourth tier’s footballing aristocrats.
We have beem called a lot of things over the years, but this is a new one on me.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Roots Hall used to be known as the Wembley of the 4TH Division.

Echo says we have signed Darren Blewitt from West Ham on on loan for a month. Nothing on official site tho.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 14 2005,12:13)]Roots Hall used to be known as the Wembley of the 4TH Division.
Wasn't that just based on it being all-seater & over-priced!!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 14 2005,12:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Mar. 14 2005,10:20)]
[b said:
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Roots Hall used to be known as the Wembley of the 4TH Division.
certainly that was what Keegan called us when he played for Scunthorpe? He said it was always good to come and play on a good pitch with big stands which wasn't common in those days

Quite a decent sized report in the Mirror Mania today with a picture of Freddy Eastwood. Seems they are all jumping on the Southend bandwagon now we are on our way to Cardiff for a second season on the spin. There goes our quiet rise to League 1.

seems quite a good report! & i noticed we were the featured on five live which was good to hear!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Mar. 14 2005,10:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 14 2005,09:32)]even the Metro has a picture of Freddy in it today, they're all jumping on the Southend bandwagon
Even the Scottish Metro has a picture of Freddy in it this morning.

Blimey, things are looking up in the publicity stakes!
So did the Cheltenham Metro
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester Shrimper @ Mar. 14 2005,21:00)]Nothing in the C********r gazette though.
tounge.gif
They probably had a massive article on Ipswich tho, didnt they?!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 14 2005,08:32)]even the Metro has a picture of Freddy in it today, they're all jumping on the Southend bandwagon
the only day the metro was not at the station
mad.gif
so i pick up the independant from the train... NOTHING
mad.gif

Back