• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Timetable Set

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
First of all apologies if this is old news...

In tonights Echo, Uncle Ron talks timescales for the new stadium..

A few key lines I've picked out..

Ron is aiming to have us in our new ground for the start of the 2008/09 season..

A detailed application for a multi-million pound stadium at Fossetts Farm, should be submitted in the next "three or four months"..

If the council back the plans and in quick time, Ron aims to send the diggers in around March or April next year..

Ron has said "I have set out quite a rigid timescale and I expect it to be kept to"..

The capacity will be around 17,000..

Major consultations with Southend Council are due, regarding future development of Roots Hall...

Roots Hall site expected to be a mixed use development with some housing, retail and office space and a green area..

Anna Waite, Southend Council leader says "I look forward to discussing the relocation plans with Ron Martin, we must make sure the club has every chance to continue it's success"

Sounds promising, although we've been down this road many, many times before...

thought's anyone?

rock.gif

Being realistic the start of 2008/9 will be the earliest IMO, and if work goes ahead at the snails pace of Wembley the who knows?

Another stumbling point may be Southend Council, bearing in mind local elections are today, and it may throw up an anti stadium / development group. There again previous support for stadiulm developments has been pathetic.

This amount of detail is a rarity, so this is all good news. I can't see there being any severe problem with the stadium build that would stop its development, only minor details that will need council consultation such as transport and capacity... the increased tourism and public support of the team will be benefical.

Being in t'championship is a huge help, as the council are more likely to get behind us and support us ...

Cannot see any major problems with this. Council has back us all the way and can see no change after these elections. Protests will be to a minimum (there is nothing to protest about in my eyes). The only thing I am intrigued about is transport links. Someone mentioned on here before that every new satdium needs to have a park and ride link to it - so where does that go? Sure the transport issues will be answered in time though. I also guess that it is 17,000 seater to start and then rise to a further 8 or 9,000 maybe? Also I would like to see the proposed design of the stadium soon. Something like Swansea's would be great minus all the grey

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 04 2006,14:38)]Being in t'championship is a huge help, as the council are more likely to get behind us and support us ...
Like Brighton you mean?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (class @ May 04 2006,20:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 04 2006,14:38)]Being in t'championship is a huge help, as the council are more likely to get behind us and support us ...
Like Brighton you mean?  
rock.gif
Or like the last time we were in this division.

I think the Brighton situation is more down to the fact that the site in question falls over 2 neighbouring sites, Falmer and Lewes. Falmer council want the stadium, and are backed by Brighton, whereas Lewes oppose the stadium.

Yup, I'd say 17,000 is the right size at first. Attendances will rise with the building of a new stadium, but not that much. We'll only need 25,000 capacity in the (very slight) possibility that we get the the Premier$hite...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ May 05 2006,10:58)]Yup, I'd say 17,000 is the right size at first. Attendances will rise with the building of a new stadium, but not that much. We'll only need 25,000 capacity in the (very slight) possibility that we get the the Premier$hite...
Had a mother of all Hangover this morning and missed the parade......

But it was live on BBC Essex n Ron said he will be putting in an app for the new ground with capacity for 22,000

Well Done Ron it makes sense

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

I thought Ron said it would be able to be upped to 22000 if necessary, but i may have hear wrong as there was this bloke screming "Champions" in my ears whilst i was trying to listen!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimptank @ May 07 2006,17:28)]I thought Ron said it would be able to be upped to 22000 if necessary, but i may have hear wrong as there was this bloke screming "Champions" in my ears whilst i was trying to listen!
He said a new application for a Capacity of 22,000 will be submitted within 3 months.... cos clearly 17000 is not big enough ...  
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ May 07 2006,17:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimptank @ May 07 2006,17:28)]I thought Ron said it would be able to be upped to 22000 if necessary, but i may have hear wrong as there was this bloke screming "Champions" in my ears whilst i was trying to listen!
He said a new application for a Capacity of 22,000 will be submitted within 3 months.... cos clearly 17000 is not big enough ...  
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif
It dnt think it wud be worth leavin roots hall to go to a stadium just 5,000 seats bigger. Plus you gotta think ahead fot three years time when we're playing in the champions league!!!!
tounge.gif

IIRC, Ron said that we could have sold out the BC match twice over, and his original intention had been for a 17000 seat stadium, but when traveling with the Blues he has seen some of the new stadiums and facilities around the country and he is now seriously considering wether he ought to go for a 22000 seater.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 09 2006,09:56)]IIRC, Ron said that we could have sold out the BC match twice over, and his original intention had been for a 17000 seat stadium,  but when traveling with the Blues he has seen  some of the new stadiums and facilities around the country and he is now seriously considering wether he ought to go for a 22000 seater.
At the parade on Sunday, when interviewed by BBC Essex, Ron did confirm that the capacity would be 22,000

Isn't that bigger than Millwall's ground?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ May 09 2006,15:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 09 2006,09:56)]IIRC, Ron said that we could have sold out the BC match twice over, and his original intention had been for a 17000 seat stadium,  but when traveling with the Blues he has seen  some of the new stadiums and facilities around the country and he is now seriously considering wether he ought to go for a 22000 seater.
At the parade on Sunday, when interviewed by BBC Essex, Ron did confirm that the capacity would be 22,000

Isn't that bigger than Millwall's ground?
Yep, certainly is...

The New Den has a capacity of just over 20,000.

suspect.gif

Anyhow, whatever the capacity is I just hope the design isnt like Millwall's with the open corners etc...

If we could have a bowl type design like Swansea's that would be great just for the simple fact that the atmosphere would be awesome.

So, come on Ron, we want a bowl not a hole!

wink.gif

I hate the millwall design, its look bland & horrible .... An Swansea or AZ (dutch club that finish 2nd in Premier League of Holland) type design would do nicely or an 22'000 verison of Fossett Farm design from year 2000 would be awesome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ May 11 2006,12:54)]I hate the millwall design, its look bland & horrible .... An Swansea or AZ (dutch club that finish 2nd in Premier League of Holland) type design would do nicely or an 22'000 verison of Fossett Farm design from year 2000 would be awesome!
22,000 capacity Ron is talking about now, cost of that will be in the region of £30 million, mind you they will get about 10% paid for by the Football Ground Improvement trust.

I think a design like AZ would be good but would cost too much. I have seen AZ play at their old ground & they are probably a smaller club than Southend so they have done well to get such a nice ground.

Back