• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Please dig deep in your own pockets, remortgage your houses, and GIVE (not loan) all your cash to the club so that it can increase our turnover and therefore assist in signing better players.

As diehard fans, would you do that?

No.

So don't expect anyone else to.

We have a wage structure in place that we cannot allow to be broken.  No one player is worth it.  Everyone at this level is replaceable.  Tilly only wants players who want to play for the club, not play for the money.  We've had that before and look where it got us?

For us to stand a chance of getting better players we need to raise more money.

The only way to get this club more money is to put more bums on seats at the Hall.  There were signs that things were turning around last year.  Ok, this week we have had a few hiccups but all is not lost... just remember these players are only Div 3 and all have their faults.  We can pick up other players as there will be hundreds out of work on June 1st.  It is the team blend rather than individual brilliance that will win a club promotion, and we have to back Tilly and Brush in their judgement. They have brought in some decent signings so far (Dudfield, Bentley, Pettefer, Nicolau, Edwards) so why can't we all just trust their judgement and get behind the team next August, whoever is in it?

I said earlier last season that I thought the fans would get the club relegated.  As it turned out we were safe, but the fans have a huge part to play in a clubs success or failure.  Anyone who saw the West Ham v Ipswich play off game at Upton Park and who then listened to the post match interviews will know how big a part the fans played in that game.

So lets all pull together in an attempt to get this club out of this division (in an upwards direction).  After all, we are meant to be supporters.

Oxford Dictionary definition of support:

"give assistance, encouragement, or approval to;be actively interested in (a sports team)."

So, just as we have the power to get fans relegated, we have the power to get us promoted.  Lets get behind the team and management for a while and stop bloody whinging.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

Abso-bloody-lutely.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,07:59)]Abso-bloody-lutely.

wink.gif
Bit miffed about McGleish going to The Cobblers but such is life!

100% behind Tilly all the way to next season and beyond!

These money-grabbing/glory hunting bastards can naff off as far as I am concerned! This includes Constantine, Cort & Maher + any other wannabe stars who are stalling signing their contracts in case something better comes along!

Are you trying to promote anything in your signature space, by any chance?

Bet Mike Vader is working feverishly at his PC, trying to work out a way to move signatures to the Games Room.
biggrin.gif

How are meant to attract new fans though if we miss out on our targets and they see clubs like Peterborough snapping up our best players ?

The club are charging above the division average in Season Ticket prices now lets see a team that is above average.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,08:38)]Are you trying to promote anything in your signature space, by any chance?

Bet Mike Vader is working feverishly at his PC, trying to work out a way to move signatures to the Games Room.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I noticed that Shrimper Jim had done it on his signature!

Get typing OS!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 28 2004,08:41)]How are meant to attract new fans though if we miss out on our targets and they see clubs like Peterborough snapping up our best players ?

The club are charging above the division average in Season Ticket prices now lets see a team that is above average.
It's pretty simple really!

More decent performances like the back end of last season utilising a lower budget team! We have a really good side in the makings even without "the defectors".

It can and will be done!

I seriously hope that with all Peter Taylors money his team become flops and struggle!

Results and performances attract new fans at this level... not signings.

As PoD says, we already have the makings of a good squad... and we must have faith in Tilson to bring in the kind of players we need.

(better signature, PoD?)
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,08:57)](better signature, PoD?)
wink.gif
Flash gits!

You and Bucks Blue are show offs!

Well done chaps and at least it keeps Daft Vader at bay!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,09:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ May 28 2004,10:00)]You and Bucks Blue are show offs!
Why?  
rock.gif
Because you have the link in your signature!

Tried to copy Jim's link but would not work!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShrimperJim @ May 28 2004,09:08)]Nice signatures chaps  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
You gave me the inspiration last night Jim when I saw your original signature!

There is too much seriousness on this board at present and we all need silly season relief!

This relief comes with the sweet contact of the volley coupled with the 4000 points!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ May 28 2004,09:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShrimperJim @ May 28 2004,09:08)]Nice signatures chaps  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
You gave me the inspiration last night Jim when I saw your original signature!

There is too much seriousness on this board at present and we all need silly season relief!

This relief comes with the sweet contact of the volley coupled with the 4000 points!  
biggrin.gif
And from 60-100,000 with a nice crisp penalty.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 28 2004,08:41)]How are meant to attract new fans though if we miss out on our targets and they see clubs like Peterborough snapping up our best players ?

chicken... egg...

Regardless of actual personnel (apart from those of a world class nature) no single player is going to fill Roots Hall on a regular basis unless we are lucky enough to unearth another Collymore, which is unlikely.

So it's good performances on the pitch that puts bums on seats.

Having watched Blues for 35 years I have seen two or three periods of time when supposed "named" players come to ply their trade at the Hall.  Now I am a big fan (as we all are on here!) but I really question the motives of a so-called professional footballer who gives up the opportunity to play in a higher league in front of bigger crowds to come to us.  Face the facts; we are historically a basement league team that has spent approximately 15% of our entire history in a slightly higher division.  So that's our pedigree.  Like it or not we will always be in the shadow of London teams because that's our Geography.  There is no catchment area east of the town because fish aren't football fans. Go South and you hit more water that can't be negotiated until you are nearer London than Southend and once the river is crossed you are firmly in Gillingham territory.  North is hardly densely populated so West is the only area we can call our "catchment".

Having said that history has shown that successful Blues sides in the past have had the ability to attract crowds far higher than the divisional average, which should put us in a far better position than a lot of our competitors.

Look back at the great Blues sides in the last 30 years and in particular the Dave Webb team of the early 90's that got us into the 2nd Division.  There was not one prima donna in that side... they were all journeyman or scr*pheap footballers that we had turned into decent players through good coaching and the right team blend.  Chris Powell was rescued from a free transfer from Palace having been on loan at Aldershot; Dean Austin plucked from St Albans and our own Tilly from Witham, two examples of non-league players made good.  Spencer Prior and Christian Hyslop, up from the youth ranks.  Ok Chris didn't go much further but Spinner played in the Prem.  Brett Angell, who was IMHO "found out" in the top flight but none the less was great for us.  Peter Butler went on to play for West Ham, and Ian Benjamin was an absolute pro in the twilight of his career, but who was probably one of the greatest all round players we have ever had at The Hall.

Where's the big names there?  If we were signing any of them now the doomsters like wiggy would be moaning like mad... "Powell?  Who's he?  Can't even make Aldershot!"

Ahem.

Now look at the periods of decline and they all show a rather worrying trait.  There are "big" names in there... players who are paid too much for what they do and who are in the comfort zone.  They are not interested in playing for the club, but rather playing for the money. Billy Kellock, Barry Silkman  and Glenn Skivington in the mid 80's; Ronnie Whelan, Mike Marsh and other higher division players like Paul Byrne, Mike Lapper, Mark McNally... all of whom had undoubted talent but through either attitude or injury never really contributed what they should have done to the side on a regular basis.

Think of it like buying a car; if someone offered you a Porsche for a couple of grand, it's either

a) ancient
b) broken, or
c) stolen.

Either way, when you get it, it won't be the great bargain you thought because it will either be reclaimed, be off the road and cost a fortune to maintain or will simply give up the ghost altogether.  In any event it will be a disappointment.

So when players leave us for better pay elsewhere, I am neither surprised nor bothered.  I only want to watch players who are as interested in Southends fortunes as I am.  Kevin Maher is an exception... he has been very loyal in the past and may feel that a change is needed for his career.  If he chooses that then good luck and my blessings go to him. But counter that with the fact that in the 7 years he has been here he has been listed twice with no-one showing any interest and was hours away from signing for Orient just before the Carlton-Granada deal went belly up.

So basically a club like us with our pedigree and catchment is only ever going to do well with a team of hungry players with a point to prove. Not a bunch of "names" that have been brought in to appease fans in the short term.

Having now truly competed with MtS for post length (and I hope quality) I would say that it is now down to the fans to try and understand and appreciate what the club is trying to do and lend it's support accordingly... take a leaf out of the Carlisle supporters club book.

Another top post FBM!

Talking of Non-league players, the NLP had an article by Ian Dowie (Palace Manager).

Dowie allows his brother to scour non-league teams for potential talent and indeed grabbed Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews (Now Col U) from non-league whilst in charge at Oldham.

Look at Bentley, in Mark we have unearthed a good solid midfielder who will be team captain next season!

Coupled with the older "Scr*pheap" players FBM refers to a good team will develop.

Take our championship season 1981, Derek Spence was in the twilight of his career when he came to us. Joined forces with Keith Mercer and - BANG - Goal machine!

You do not need a Collymore or Lee Chapman type to perform in Division 3!

FBM - totally 100% agree with you!! Every word made perfect sense and to add to it, I have full faith in Tilly to do the same with new players and lead us back to glory!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 28 2004,09:41)]There is no catchment area east of the town because fish aren't football fans.
What about Billy the Fish?
rock.gif

Seriously, top post. I'm really not worried and still feel that we have a really good season on the horizon. So much at this level is down to decent coaching and management, and it is in that department that I think we are strong.

As much as I will be upset to see Kev leave does anyone on here really believe that he isn't replacable? With hundreds of players being released, together with all the youngsters being released by the top clubs (which is how we got Kev in the first place!) I'm sure that we will be able to replace him. We also appear to have forgotton about the gems that we may be able to pick up from the Conference (Gower for instance).
If i'm honest, I have to admit that i am a bit excited by the idea of seeing a team not built solely around Maher.

So far I have been very impressed by Tilly's purchases and have faith that we will have a strong, and happy, squad for next year.... if I'm wrong you can punish me by sending me to Layer Road for a Saturday afternoon  
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Custard Splat @ May 28 2004,10:09)]As much as I will be upset to see Kev leave does anyone on here really believe that he isn't replacable?
We already have an ideal replacement!

Mark Bentley is the perfect replacement and to be truthful does not know how to pass sideways!-
biggrin.gif

Kevin who?
tounge.gif

Back