• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And for the second time today I agree 100%...well almost.

I wouldn't categorise Marsh as a not trying when he was here. He was just crocked and still tried his best, but maybe that's the old rose tinted specs.

Otherwise spot on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ May 28 2004,10:19)]And for the second time today I agree 100%...well almost.

I wouldn't categorise Marsh as a not trying when he was here. He was just crocked and still tried his best, but maybe that's the old rose tinted specs.

Otherwise spot on.
I didn't mean to infer that Marsh or Whelan weren't trying (although I think Marsh could have had more influence further up the pitch rather than always playing incisive crossfield passes in our own half) but more the fact that, like the car analogy, there was something wrong with them, i.e. damaged goods and therefore disappointing.

Thats fine if you have a good scouting system in place. Our non league talent has been Rio Alderton, Mark Beard, Baz Belgrave, and that guy from Frome his name slips me.

Obviously this has been under previous management but course there are examples of low budget teams being a success, Lincoln is a good example.

But what Torquay and Lincoln have both done over the past 2 years is keep there best players at the club.

Don't break the bank but be competitive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 28 2004,11:06)]Thats fine if you have a good scouting system in place. Our non league talent has been Rio Alderton, Mark Beard, Baz Belgrave, and that guy from Frome his name slips me.
Erm, Belgrave, Alderton and Beard all played in the League, I believe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 28 2004,11:08)]Erm, Belgrave, Alderton and Beard all played in the League, I believe.
True, but without sounding too much like I am agreeing with FM, Beard came to us from Kingstonian.

I think FM is inferring that they came to us from Non-league clubs!

Cannot remember who Belgrave/Alderton came to us from though to substantiate what he says.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 28 2004,11:06)]Thats fine if you have a good scouting system in place. Our non league talent has been Rio Alderton, Mark Beard, Baz Belgrave, and that guy from Frome his name slips me.

Obviously this has been under previous management but course there are examples of low budget teams being a success, Lincoln is a good example.

But what Torquay and Lincoln have both done over the past 2 years is keep there best players at the club.

Mark Salter is the name that escapes you.

Rio Alderton came from Millwall.

Beard came from Sheffield United or Millwall (IIRC) first time around and won player of the year... then he dropped into non-league when we got him again.

Bentley, Bramble and Gower have all come from non-league...

Torquay and Lincoln have got notoriously strict wage budgets and do not break the bank for players. And one of Lincolns so called stars, Ben Futcher, has just slapped in a transfer request.

So it's not just us is it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 28 2004,11:15)]
[b said:

Mark Salter is the name that escapes you.

Rio Alderton came from Millwall.

Beard came from Sheffield United or Millwall (IIRC) first time around and won player of the year... then he dropped into non-league when we got him again.

Bentley, Bramble and Gower have all come from non-league...

Torquay and Lincoln have got notoriously strict wage budgets and do not break the bank for players.  And one of Lincolns so called stars, Ben Futcher, has just slapped in a transfer request.

So it's not just us is it?
Thank you fbm for that.

Agreed Nappy.  I thought Alderton came from Millwall & Beard originally came from Sheffield United.  Admittedly Belgrave had been in non-league after a couple of league clubs let him go, but he was highly rated & Webb chased him for months.  God only knows why.

But we'll bow to ArseMad's superior knowledge.  Like f*ck we will!!  
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ May 28 2004,11:13)]True, but without sounding too much like I am agreeing with FM, Beard came to us from Kingstonian.
Not when we first got him. Don't forget we signed him twice. So it's probably best to continue not agreeing with ArseMad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 28 2004,09:41)]Chris Powell was rescued from a free transfer from Palace having been on loan at Aldershot
And IIRC in another period of financial strife, as were most days under Vic, we argued with Palace over a £5000 fee for the man who turned into our most popular player & ended up going to a tribunal!  How close were we to missing out on a legend.

Surely, however, if some supporters have worries or misgivings the best place to express them is on a message board as opposed to shouting them at the players during a game? Supporting the team doesn't mean turning a blind eye to the club's faults and, obviously, some people on here have concerns about what's gone on since the end of the season.

I'm all for constructive criticism on here, especially as in general you're more likely to have the more committed supporter on here and, when it comes down to it, will get behind their club whatever. It'd be a pretty dull web-site if everyone agreed with everyone else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ May 28 2004,11:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ May 28 2004,09:41)]Chris Powell was rescued from a free transfer from Palace having been on loan at Aldershot
And IIRC in another period of financial strife, as were most days under Vic, we argued with Palace over a £5000 fee for the man who turned into our most popular player & ended up going to a tribunal!  How close were we to missing out on a legend.
True. Andy Ansah had a big say in things as well- Powell didn't want to come here initially.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Custard Splat @ May 28 2004,10:09)]I have to admit that i am a bit excited by the idea of seeing a team not built solely around Maher.
Yeah, but what's Nick going to put on the back of his shirt now...?!

wink.gif

FBM... top posts, sir. I've agreed with almost every word you said, although one of those "the"s you used troubled me...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ May 28 2004,11:19)]And for the second time today I agree 100%...well almost.

Otherwise spot on.
Yeah, fbm, agree to most points... but to say some of the 'name players' we've had have let us down is, quite frankly, totally harsh and unjustified.

One name springs to mind of a 'big name' who had passion for the Shrimpers... gave his all and cared for nothing but our club.

Yes, I am talking about Jeroen Boere... top pro who lived for Southend United Football Club AND its supporters.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,15:03)]Yes, I am talking about Jeroen Boere... top pro who lived for Southend United Football Club AND its supporters.
And used to have an eye for goal

rock.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 28 2004,15:03)]Yes, I am talking about Jeroen Boere... top pro who lived for Southend United Football Club AND its supporters.
You really should use a smiley to indicate sarcasm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lordlumpington @ May 28 2004,15:09)]
[b said:
And used to have an eye for goal

rock.gif

biggrin.gif
Cruel post alert!
tounge.gif

Back