• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To keep or not to keep - That is the question (Part 2)

To keep or not to keep

• Total voters
I remember Egbri playing against Borehamwood and his desire stood out even against those 7ft cloggers.

We need players capable of causing teams problems, Egbri and Kinali seem to fit that mould. I'd also like to see what Nile can do as he could be the guy to fire us back into the league
Indeed. He came on as a sub at 2-0 down and within five minutes it was 2-2, with him scoring the equaliser. If you can bare to watch the highlights, look how quickly he reacts when ANG's shot is saved. Just the sort of poaching we've been crying out for in recent weeks.

He may be a titch but he's also a pest and one who never shies away from the ball. Good at winning free-kicks as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54839964

As someone pointed out in the post match thread, terrel getting a bit agro about that throw in was actually the highlight of the game...

I think we’ve missed Egbri, he gets stick because he isn’t the finished article (another one thrown in too early) but he’s tricky to play against and you can see teams struggle with his pace and quick change of direction. He breaks up opposition play drawing fouls in the right areas and with some quality role models to learn from (can but dream we sign one) he could develop into a decent prospect, in my opinion.

More from this lot - Egbri, Kinali, ANG, Akinola, Rush & Phillips. I would keep Gard but he's had two big injuries in the last two seasons so unsure if he can get to the level we need.

I think we’ve missed Egbri, he gets stick because he isn’t the finished article (another one thrown in too early) but he’s tricky to play against and you can see teams struggle with his pace and quick change of direction. He breaks up opposition play drawing fouls in the right areas and with some quality role models to learn from (can but dream we sign one) he could develop into a decent prospect, in my opinion.
He tore NL Boreham Wood a new one, suggests to me that he would be up to scratch for next season for sure.

There are some youngsters definitely worth keeping, they did well under Sol and at times under MM. They need to show they are developing and improving and not just stagnating like so many before. Certainly would keep hold of Clifford, Egbri, Kinali and Rush.

We've just had a double relegation...and there's no reason at present to suggest that we won't make that a Hatrick next season, so for their own benefit I suggest keeping none of them!

We've just had a double relegation...and there's no reason at present to suggest that we won't make that a Hatrick next season, so for their own benefit I suggest keeping none of them!
I did have that thought, but I also then thought that if we binned everyone, how confident would you be that we could recruit better players than those gone? I decided that as we are no better organised as a Club than we were three years ago, then who would really want to join us that was any better? After that thought process I decided I would retain a core of players that deserve a second chance.

I remember Egbri playing against Borehamwood and his desire stood out even against those 7ft cloggers.

We need players capable of causing teams problems, Egbri and Kinali seem to fit that mould. I'd also like to see what Nile can do as he could be the guy to fire us back into the league
I agree desire is part of it, but you also need muscle and thud in the NL.
Those who do well as attacker or defender are a bit more than 5ft 4ins - and that's TE's 'official' height.
Not a totally fair comparison, but Gerd Muller, 'Der Bomber' had a trunk and legs almost as big as his 5ft 9ins stature.
Eggers needs more strength, cos he sure ain't getting any more height.

Would you bin our academy and u23 team as well?

The National League is not too dissimilar to League 2 to be honest. We got mugged by Boreham Wood and Dover don't forget. So not many of this crop are good enough if we are looking to bounce back. Plus they are enriched with a losing mentality. Similarly to when Bond signed a load of players who were used to losing with their former clubs. Losing becomes a habit!

I don't know if many of you noticed but Stockport bought Paddy Madden for 250k a few months back, 4 goals in 9 games already. That's figures we can only dream of, both in terms of expenditure and goals!

How anyone believes that Aquah will be good enough I'll never know! Rush we have no idea about. We've had many youth players bang in goals (Wabo, Williams, Aquah, Ademeno etc.) And they haven't been up to it at all.

Akinola is the only one who can boast some goals at NL level, so he may be alright.

We need a lot more than that though!

I did have that thought, but I also then thought that if we binned everyone, how confident would you be that we could recruit better players than those gone? I decided that as we are no better organised as a Club than we were three years ago, then who would really want to join us that was any better? After that thought process I decided I would retain a core of players that deserve a second chance.
Would you bin our academy and u23 team as well?
Apologies, I think you've both overestimated my flippant comment, which was posted in anger (and didn't deserve a reply let alone 2 and let alone from 2 staff members :Smile: ) - I have no idea who we should or shouldn't keep, I just watch football matches! Which I suspect I can't do very well as I have no idea who Stewart O'Shane is (and 26 people voted to keep him!)

Apologies, I think you've both overestimated my flippant comment, which was posted in anger (and didn't deserve a reply let alone 2 and let alone from 2 staff members :Smile: ) - I have no idea who we should or shouldn't keep, I just watch football matches! Which I suspect I can't do very well as I have no idea who Stewart O'Shane is (and 26 people voted to keep him!)
No need to apologise my friend, as staff members we should have realised you were being flippant, but as mods we don't get out very much so replying to posts on here is a joy for us both, eh Yorkie?

And as for Shane O'Shane, I only included him as he's in the contracts thread at the head of ChitChat, but I don't know who he is either.

Our back four is quite solid so I'm not sure we need to tinker with that. No guarantee they'll all stay of course but if they do it's a plus because defensively we've improved a lot. We're desperately poor going forward and that's the priority.
Yes, my thoughts as well. We need a couple of strikers to take the pressure off Akinola, who struggles in a lone striker role, and a couple of powerful midfielders to complement Ferguson who, despite being trashed by quite a few on here, is very calm and composed on the ball. He's been quiet recently but it's not his fault if the ball is whacked over him all the time.

I'm convinced there's a good team/squad already hiding in there. Or at least potentially. We need a full, focused pre-season developing the fitness and shape of the team, and better coaching to encourage bravery on the ball and better movement.
I agree desire is part of it, but you also need muscle and thud in the NL.
Those who do well as attacker or defender are a bit more than 5ft 4ins - and that's TE's 'official' height.
Not a totally fair comparison, but Gerd Muller, 'Der Bomber' had a trunk and legs almost as big as his 5ft 9ins stature.
Eggers needs more strength, cos he sure ain't getting any more height.
Like I previously said, he proved against BW that he can compete physically. Maybe it's just me but it looks like he's bulked up a bit since earlier in the season.

Back