• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update To the Silent Majority. The Bare Facts. The Result.

Cricko, in your opening post one of your suggestions was sponsorship - might be an idea to set out the offerings / packages for that to help garner interest?

For what it is worth, to anyone with a business interested, by way of example, a couple of years ago I got in touch with one of the businesses advertising on here who I only was aware of through the zone. Since then they would have made several thousand of pounds from that intro. So advertising can work!

You can go and look at the accounts online they are there for all to see. I am not going to spend anymore time explaining every small detail to you, now give it a rest please.

In fairness to the poster presumably they are just micro accounts so wont show such info. You could of course think it none of his business Whilst Dubai’s post may come across as being a bit blunt I guess he is trying to say that knowing the shortfall may help.

how about a share sale - could be the one time the fans get their 50+1 model ?

Sounds like a great response to John's "plea" so well done to those who did donate. I must admit I've not donated ever but have taken part in various things over the years but my time and inclination when it comes to anything SUFC is pretty low and now mainly lurk. One of the only threads I did add anything/read has now sadly been locked (not sure why!?) which was dissapointing given whats going on in the world! I think Dubai was only asking some honest questions and got shot down a touch harshly. I think the ? thing is a nice idea, any chance we can bring back the positive / negative rep yet!? ?

Stay safe & all that jazz

X

@Cricko Came back to suggest a premium membership scheme and others had already done it. May be hard technically to do, but was thinking something like £5 a month for unlimited posts otherwise it’s capped at I don’t know, 25 posts a month or something.

Also £2000+ sounds a lot for hosting a forum. I know there’s plenty of historical data to pull from but have you looked around for alternatives to reduce costs?

Tbf there are very few if any issues when browsing the zone in terms of speed or errors which is great but also seems you’re paying an absolute premium for that. May be worth another look around.

final idea is a sz lottery. Our kids school does one and makes a decent amount. Assume would need some sort of license at a certain level though, but a weekly (or even monthly) sz lottery could be fun. £1 a week, say a 1000 do it, give away 500 in prizes and make 500 toward zone?
Yes, I also think £2k is expensive for hosting, although it does seem like an excellent, reliable service. Also, the platform XenForo might have certain hosting requirements/licensing.

Regarding the lottery, I thought of possible SUFC merchandise up for grabs, like signed shirts etc. Buy a shirt, have it signed, then put it up as a prize for tickets at maybe £2 a ticket. Not sure about regulations and licences in England for this, but may be easier than cach prizes. But I do like your idea of a cash lottery if it is possible.

Yes, I also think £2k is expensive for hosting, although it does seem like an excellent, reliable service. Also, the platform XenForo might have certain hosting requirements/licensing.

Regarding the lottery, I thought of possible SUFC merchandise up for grabs, like signed shirts etc. Buy a shirt, have it signed, then put it up as a prize for tickets at maybe £2 a ticket. Not sure about regulations and licences in England for this, but may be easier than cach prizes. But I do like your idea of a cash lottery if it is possible.

It is actually £2200 per year. The reason we have gone down this route is that we have our own dedicated server which unlike years ago does not break down every 5 minutes. We tried other routes they were very painful. We also have a daily back-up of our data. We have kept every single post (apart from those that went by accident haha) from the forums going back over the years as it is really nice for some to find facts or older threads. We also have great help from Nimbus if we ever need it and they do not charge us for that service.

XF is the best, which is why we have them onboard for you all. :Smile: Yes they do cost us but their service and forums are second to none. We left vBulletin because their service was rubbish and they no longer did any thing for us at all! I have a great relationship with their owner and a guy they use in the USA who is at hand 24/7 if we get a problem. Vb was originally designed by the now XF owners who also left them to go it alone as they had no help themselves.

I will be collating the figures from yesterday this morning and will let you all know how it has gone so far later today. I have just been answering 30 pm's and trying to catch up with the posts etc.

Thanks to all that have donated so far and all the other ideas. X

Last edited:
It is actually £2200 per year. The reason we have gone down this route is that we have our own dedicated server which unlike years ago does not break down every 5 minutes. We tried other routes they were very painful. We also have a daily back-up of our data. We have kept every single post (apart from those that went by accident haha) from the forums going back over the years as it is really nice for some to find facts or older threads. We also have great help from Nimbus if we ever need it and they do not charge us for that service.

XF is the best, which is why we have them onboard for you all. :Smile: Yes they do cost us but their service and forums are second to none. We left vBulletin because their service was rubbish and they no longer did any thing for us at all! I have a great relationship with their owner and a guy they use in the USA who is at hand 24/7 if we get a problem. Vb was originally designed by the now XF owners who also left them to go it alone as they had no help themselves.

I will be collating the figures from yesterday this morning and will let you all know how it has gone so far later today. I have just been answering 30 pm's and trying to catch up with the posts etc.

Thanks to all that have donated so far and all the other ideas. X
Yep, and you do get what you pay for with good/more expensive hosting, especially with a dedicated server.

This and what XF offer are very evident in the user experience.

I don’t want to set up a PayPal account so I’ll transfer some cash this payday and then each one after. Not much but a little something as I do like this place. And as others have said it was really helpful in lockdown. @Cricko you can see who’s donated via card, I guess?

If you don't want to set up a Paypal direct debit, then I am sure @Cricko can provide you with the bank account sort code and number to set up a standing order from your own bank?

More RTT92 book royalties just received from Amazon just donated which is why its a strange amount. Not much this time, most folk must have got their RTT92 fathers day presents in years gone by. Never mind,may be catching a few non-buyers to date with a copy at a SUEPA stand I'm hoping to have at MTBD:Smile:
Keep up the great work

Back