• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
This is from today's Guardian........great line "Melancholy is second nature to them"

Southend enjoy rare optimism

Southend are hoping this year could be third time lucky. After two defeats at the Millennium Stadium in a little over 14 months, in the past two LDV Vans Trophy finals, Steve Tilson's team return to Cardiff in more optimistic mood.
Having squandered an automatic promotion berth, a feeling of anti-climax had descended on Roots Hall, but this victory has greatly alleviated any such apprehension.

Tilson said Southend will not let the size of the stage affect them on Saturday. "It's just another game, although it's a big arena," he said. "We've just got to do what we normally do."

This was a hard-fought victory that will stand them in good stead for the challenge that Lincoln City present. "They are a strong side," said Tilson. "Big and physical, with three giants at the back."
More than physical attributes will be needed against Lincoln, though, and Tilson knows it. "We need to keep the ball a bit better," he said.

Northampton's manager Colin Calderwood was upset his side lost by such a narrow margin but praised Southend. "They have been right at the top of the league for most of the year," he said.

That is why Southend will be favourites to win in Cardiff - but their fans will not be over-confident. Melancholy is second nature to them.

This season brought their first top-ten finish since 1991. Southend's most recent memories of anything that could be termed success was during a spell in the old Second Division in the early 1990s.

That was followed by a spec tacular fall from grace, so their supporters could have been excused for fearing the worst in the play-offs. Fortunately the team seems to have rediscovered their resilience.

This may have been scrappy but Southend must be given credit for taking the single opportunity presented to them, as Freddy Eastwood scored with a penalty following Chris Wilmott's foul on Mark Bentley. Then they gave no quarter as Northampton looked despairingly for an equaliser.

"Obviously it was a crucial spot kick," said Eastwood. "I thought 1-0 was going to win the tie with it being such a tight game."

Apart from that moment, there was precious little to shout about at either end, other than Scott McGleish's goal-bound which brought out an outstanding save from Southend's Darryl Flahavan.

Man of the match: Nicky Nicolau (Southend United)

At least they were spot on with Mark Bentley getting fouled for the penalty.... If you pardon the pun!!

Seperated at Birth... Mark Bentley and Nic Nicolau.... I think not!

Fair point, but if you can find me in a Southend shirt, then please feel free to let me know, cause I used google, msn and Yahoo and the only pics were either in a Brentford shirt or a Tooting and Mitchum one!!

A couple of places that I have read a match report have stated that it was Bentley that was brought down for the penalty.

It was Nicky.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ May 23 2005,15:38)]Fair point, but if you can find me in a Southend shirt, then please feel free to let me know, cause I used google, msn and Yahoo and the only pics were either in a Brentford shirt or a Tooting and Mitchum one!!
This gives me another chance to bore you all with the fact that the shirt Richard wore for his last competitive game for the Blues at Stockport is framed and hanging on my wall at home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ May 23 2005,15:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ May 23 2005,15:38)]Fair point, but if you can find me in a Southend shirt, then please feel free to let me know, cause I used google, msn and Yahoo and the only pics were either in a Brentford shirt or a Tooting and Mitchum one!!
This gives me another chance to bore you all with the fact that the shirt Richard wore for his last competitive game for the Blues at Stockport is framed and hanging on my wall at home.
Cool, have you got a digital camera, so you can snap it & post for all to see?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ May 23 2005,15:50)]
[b said:
If that was in my posession, I too would quietly draw the world's attention to my good fortune. Sadly, however it is in your posession, so I hate you!

tounge.gif
Ā 
biggrin.gif

Back