• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Clarky_Blues

Manager
A well deserved 3 points. Not the greatest spectacle, in fact more like 90 minutes of head tennis!!

I really don't know after Bury's performance today how they were higher than us in the league, they simply could not pass the ball to each other and a high percentage of their passes were shanked out of play.

The majority of the game was scrappy and we battled very hard throughout the team, the game seemed to bypass the midfield therefore Gower & Maher rarely got a touch of the ball, Bentley was getting stuck in and winning plenty of headers.

Barrett and Spinner were imense today absolute nothing got past them, I think they won every single header, the whole defence was solid, Hunt and Wilson equally had very steady games.

As for our penalty we were at the opposite end so could not see it, strange one really as no players seemed to appeal and no one knew what the ref had given until Gray put the ball on the spot. Calmly taken penalty, rolled it down the middle of the goal. Eastwood had a good turn and shot also in the first half.

Second half was much of the same really, Bury had a couple of attacks but nothing threatned Bart to much. A good move from from us saw Gray out pace their right back and put in a great cross for Fredy who only needed to side foot in to the net but somehow he balloned it over the bar.

Tilly then made a couple of changes, Dudders on for Fredy and Nicolau for Gower. Deep in to injury Bury broke away and put a cross in and not sure who it was tried to block the cross, the lino flagged, ref goes over and a penalty is given - great we all think same as last year when Bury equalised 4 mins in to injury time. Their player puts it to Bart's right and he saves it - queue mental celebrations and then the final whistle.

A good appreciation to the players at the end who all seemed to be well chuffed with the result and we now sit 6th in the table.

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way o what fun is to see Southend win away!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Dec. 11 2004,18:42)]... they simply could not pass the ball to each other and a high percentage of their passes were shanked out of play.
"shanked"?!?

WS

rock.gif

Never heard it but like it! Gonna use that word from now on..Shanked!

shank  (n.)

The part of the human leg between the knee and ankle.
A corresponding part in other vertebrates.

The whole leg of a human.
A leg or leglike part.
A cut of meat from the leg of a steer, calf, sheep, or lamb.
The long narrow part of a nail or pin.
A stem, stalk, or similar part.
Nautical. The stem of an anchor.
The long shaft of a fishhook.
The part of a tobacco pipe between the bowl and stem.
The shaft of a key.
The narrow section of the handle of a spoon.
Printing. The section of a body of type between the shoulder and the foot.

The narrow part of the sole of a shoe under the instep.
A piece of material, such as metal, that is used to reinforce or shape this part of a shoe.
A projection, such as a ring, on the back of a button by which it is sewn to cloth.

See tang1.
The part of a tool, such as a drill, that connects the functioning head to the handle.

The latter or remaining part, especially of a period of time.
The early or primary part of a period of time: the shank of the evening.

tr.v. Sports shanked, shank·ing, shanks
To hit (a golf ball) with the heel of the club, causing the ball to veer in the wrong direction.

[Middle English shanke, from Old English sceanca.]

shanked adj.

Mystery solved!

WS

rock.gif

Wow, you obviously lead a hectic life! Why would you even wanna look it up!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Dec. 11 2004,20:02)]Wow, you obviously lead a hectic life! Why would you even wanna look it up!
I live in Spain.

I don't work.

I have to have something to do sometimes ...

WS

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Dec. 11 2004,19:58)]shank  (n.)

The part of the human leg between the knee and ankle.
A corresponding part in other vertebrates.

The whole leg of a human.
A leg or leglike part.
A cut of meat from the leg of a steer, calf, sheep, or lamb.
The long narrow part of a nail or pin.
A stem, stalk, or similar part.
Nautical. The stem of an anchor.
The long shaft of a fishhook.
The part of a tobacco pipe between the bowl and stem.
The shaft of a key.
The narrow section of the handle of a spoon.
Printing. The section of a body of type between the shoulder and the foot.

The narrow part of the sole of a shoe under the instep.
A piece of material, such as metal, that is used to reinforce or shape this part of a shoe.
A projection, such as a ring, on the back of a button by which it is sewn to cloth.

See tang1.
The part of a tool, such as a drill, that connects the functioning head to the handle.

The latter or remaining part, especially of a period of time.
The early or primary part of a period of time: the shank of the evening.

tr.v. Sports shanked, shank·ing, shanks
To hit (a golf ball) with the heel of the club, causing the ball to veer in the wrong direction.

[Middle English shanke, from Old English sceanca.]

shanked adj.

Mystery solved!

WS

rock.gif
hence the phrase "you stupid fluckin shanker"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Dec. 11 2004,20:21)]Don't work!!!!
Ok for some!
Easy to do ... buy your house when the market is sh*te then sell when it's bouyant = 175% profit ...

WS

wink.gif

Shank's also used in golf for a shot where the perpetrator lifts the head on the through swing and opts to hit the top of the ball with the bottom of the club face, resulting in the ball hopping up briefly and rolling about ten to fifteen yards.

E.g. I shank, you sh....well...I defintely shank.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Dec. 11 2004,19:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Dec. 11 2004,18:42)]... they simply could not pass the ball to each other and a high percentage of their passes were shanked out of play.
"shanked"?!?

WS

rock.gif
The Trading Rooms just round the corner from here serves a nice Lamb Shank!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Dec. 11 2004,20:40)]Can't live off that forever though? Surely?
Nope.

But for two years or so we can, so we're going to enjoy it while we can!!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Dec. 11 2004,20:55)]Sweet! Then after...?
No idea.

But we have a few business projects in progress ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Dec. 11 2004,18:42)]I really don't know after Bury's performance today how they were higher than us in the league, they simply could not pass the ball to each other and a high percentage of their passes were shanked out of play.
Had a good chat with my Bury supporting mate, who was thoroughly gutted about the Shakers' performance. He assures me that that's the worst they've played this season... after all, this is a side that won 3-0 at the Vetch only a few weeks ago (hence why they were above us in the table before yesterday). They normally do play it on the deck but - for reasons which eluded him - they simply allowed the Shrimpers to dictate the style and tempo of the play.

He said we were quite physical and well-organised... and the one player he picked out was Wayne Gray, who he said terrorised the Shakers' rearguard for pace all afternoon.

He said that our penalty was for a somewhat questionable hand-ball, and that really only the ref & lino saw it - none of the Southend players did. I think the Bury penalty at the end was also a handball... weird?!

rock.gif

Anyhow, needless to say I am absolutely fuggin' delighted with the performance. 4 points from those two very difficult away fixtures says a lot about the team's confidence and belief. Roll on Chester City next Friday... time to get back to winning ways at home (after a draw last time out against Grimsby).

biggrin.gif

COME ON YOU SHRIMPERS!!!

Matt

Indeed I used the term 'shank' as I am a golfer. JS you are correct with your sporting definition of the phrase!

You cannot beat a good old shank!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Dec. 12 2004,19:15)]Indeed I used the term 'shank' as I am a golfer. JS you are correct with your sporting definition of the phrase!

You cannot beat a good old shank!!
I'm not sure persistent shanking permits the title of 'golfer'!

A good solid team perfomance, exactly the way you need to perform away from home in this division if you are to do anything. Well done Tilly and the boys.

PS: What an awful atmosphere though, it was like being at a reserve game with their lot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ Dec. 13 2004,08:57)]PS: What an awful atmosphere though, it was like being at a reserve game with their lot.
The official attendance was 2,500 odd. To me there didn't look more than about 1,500 there, including 250 shrimpers (top turnout). There wasn't one area with any concentration of home fans, hence the poor atmosphere.

Atmosphere was particularly weird when the penalties were given - not a murmour from the home fans despite both penalties being at their end.

Atmosphere was excellent in the away end though, especially following the penalty save and at the final whistle. Managed to injure my knee, and my mobile went flying, jumping up and down like a loonie. Another top away day.

biggrin.gif

Back