• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane today 40 years ago..Watford v Blues FA CUP...1978

So from tonight,the whole town was buzzing....
The best team in the world were coming to Roots Hall,what a relief that was when the ref blew for full time....now time(asp),to get tickets
Correction Ozzie.the second best team in the world was visiting the best team in the world. lol

I was at the game, the pleasures of a company car which allowed me and friends to do lots of away games for free. On the way back the draw was done.

All those great days standing,jumping,swaying,knees up mother "Browning" in the PAK..North bank.THose Villa,Gills,Chelsea,Qpr games,to mention a few always to be remembered...sadly never to be repeated

Remember the day well. Hugely pleased to take them back to the Hall for the replay. Went by coach and the draw came on the radio, we all went mad when the winners got the draw Liverpool at home. We were in a traffic jam, with another Blues coach behind us, but they were strangely reserved, no reaction at all, so we misted up the back window and wrote"Liverpool home" in the biggest letters we could and the coach erupted. great day!!

Last edited:
I was at both games...wonderful memories...Vicarage Rd much changed these days!
I was in the west with my Dad, Morris picked up the ball and went on one of his runs.."Skin 'im Colin"..I called; he duly did and Polycarpou finished!..Happy time

I remember Ray Clemence had a column in Shoot at the time. In the column after the replay with Watford, "in the third round we have been drawn away to Southend United. The only player I have heard of is Andy Polycarpou and that is only because he scored in the replay they won against Watford"

Well at least he had to meet him and the rest of our team twice.

Last edited:
I remember Ray Clemence had a column in Shoot st the time. In the column after the replay with Watford, "in the third round we have been drawn away to Southend United. The only player I have heard of is Andy Polycarpou and that is only because he scored in the relay they won against Watford"

Well at least he had to meet him and the rest of our team twice.

Andy was dropped for the game so Ray may never have met him. But still a bit dismissive of him.

Did anyone else ever here the story of why Clemence had to leave Liverpool. It allegedly involved a woman and I was told by one of our former goal keepers.

Never heard that one Riggers, I heard about him getting clocked at Spurs by Paul Walsh and allegedly Webby wanting him on loan to push us forward in the promotion battle, but Jodson refusing which was the beginning of the end for Webby's first tenure here.

PM me your story please pal?

Today,40 years ago,we played Watford away in the 2nd round of the FA cup.
Cannot remember the score,maybe 1-1,but we drew.Cannot remember anything about the game to be honest.
As like most Watford away games,plenty of things happened around the town.
This time,Watford gave us (Blues),the Rookery,the home end....after a visit by "Leigh Comm" a few years before and knowing that Southend were taking "loads" of fans,they put us in the home end..which normally did not happen.
After the game,i ended up being taken back to Southend in a car.Sadly cannot remember who was driving it,but there was only two of us.
The draw was made a while after the game :So on the way back ,we stopped and listened to it......
Then the bloke on BBC radio said.....Southend United or Watford versus...LIVERPOOL
We went mental...forget Del boys"3 wheeler" when he became a millonaire...that car"bounced around"like never before:
So the reason for this "thread"is...after todays game(40 years ago)...SOUTHEND,the Blues and the whole area went mental..we could be playing the best team in EUROPE,the World...and im sure EVERYONE who lived those weeks will remember them fondly.
So the build up starts today...we still have a replay
Cannot remember the score,maybe 1-1,but we drew.Cannot remember anything about the game to be honest.
This time,Watford gave us (Blues),the Rookery,the home end....after a visit by "Leigh Comm" a few years before and knowing that Southend were taking "loads" of fans,they put us in the home end..which normally did not happen.
After the game,i ended up being taken back to Southend in a car.Sadly cannot remember who was driving it,but there was only two of us.
The draw was made a while after the game :So on the way back ,we stopped and listened to it......
Then the bloke on BBC radio said.....Southend United or Watford versus...LIVERPOOL
We went mental...forget Del boys"3 wheeler" when he became a millonaire...that car"bounced around"like never before:
So the reason for this "thread"is...after todays game(40 years ago)...SOUTHEND,the Blues and the whole area went mental..we could be playing the best team in EUROPE,the World...and im sure EVERYONE who lived those weeks will remember them fondly.
Was at both Watford games & both Liverpool games also. Great times although a little depressing that it was so long ago!

Back