• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Today's Echo - Who owns the Blues? (2010 thread)

I think when they value players it is the players' registration rather than their wages. Remember your employer can't buy or sell you like football clubs do for players.

Correct, you cannot generate a new intangible asset by renewing a contract simply by capitalising future wages, as was suggested by FBM.

Yep I do.....I think anywhere he can.....are you still under the opinion he is Whiter than White then?

Let me also make this straight I don't care who run's SUFC as long as we exist but would prefer somebody who is lets say more honest to be at the helm.

I expect I will be the first served with some libel charge.

Where have I ever said that RM was whiter than white? I have simply tried to keep some perspective on a situation that no-one can think is satisfactory. I do however think that personal loathing of RM is leading to people wanting to find evidence of dodgy dealing, when it seems more likely that he has simply run out of money. How he has dealt with that reality is a different question.

Correct, you cannot generate a new intangible asset by renewing a contract simply by capitalising future wages, as was suggested by FBM.

Thinking aloud here, but are transfer fees not amortised over the span of their contract?

In that case, extending a contract would have an impact on the accounts wouldn't it?

Thinking aloud here, but are transfer fees not amortised over the span of their contract?

In that case, extending a contract would have an impact on the accounts wouldn't it?

No.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but basically you cannot generate "internal goodwill".

Michael Owen being case in hand (this was the case I used when I last had to consider this...). Liverpool clearly had an asset there, but FRS 10 prohibits you from capitalising your own asset as there is no ascertainable market value. Same way as you couldn't just chuck a lump of "goodwill" into a set of accounts without actually purchasing it.

If the player was owned by a third party, and you had to pay a renewal fee, you would be able to capitalise that over the course of the extension.

If it is your own player, the wages are no different from the wages of an employee (say a ticket office member) and shouldn't be capitalised. You would also be over-stating profits by not disclosing the cost of employing that individual

Last edited:
Player Purchases and sales go into the profit and loss account, the player registrations are capitalised and amortised over the length of the contract, when acquired. This is the accounting policy described in the latest SUFC accounts.

No.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but basically you cannot generate "internal goodwill".

Michael Owen being case in hand (this was the case I used when I last had to consider this...). Liverpool clearly had an asset there, but FRS 10 prohibits you from capitalising your own asset as there is no ascertainable market value. Same way as you couldn't just chuck a lump of "goodwill" into a set of accounts without actually purchasing it.

If the player was owned by a third party, and you had to pay a renewal fee, you would be able to capitalise that over the course of the extension.

If it is your own player, the wages are no different from the wages of an employee (say a ticket office member) and shouldn't be capitalised. You would also be over-stating profits by not disclosing the cost of employing that individual

PS Agents fees on renewal (external costs) can be capitalised and spread over the period.

Player Purchases and sales go into the profit and loss account, the player registrations are capitalised and amortised over the length of the contract, when acquired. This is the accounting policy described in the latest SUFC accounts.

PS Agents fees on renewal (external costs) can be capitalised and spread over the period.

Cheers chaps

Not "Sundry Expenses" - Admin Expenses. And as Firestorm has pointed out ad nauseum, these have stayed pretty much constant since the early '90's - and the Auditor isn't going to have signed them off without knowing what they are, and being satisfied that they are legitimate. Do you honestly think that RM is so dim that if he is ripping off the club, he is going to do it via such an obvious area of the accounts?

The "auditor" might not care, seeing as Vantis PLC (HLB Vantis do the audit...) have gone into administration today!
http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/oh-irony
http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=3545124
http://www.accountancyage.com/accountancyage/news/2265621/vantis-heading-administration

Last edited:
There is no evidence to substantiate claims that RM has been taking any money from SUFC to prop up his other businesses, if he wanted money from SUFC surely he would just call in some of the Millions in debts which SUFC owe the parent undertaking, other than a small reduction in the debt to the parent Undertaking, as reported in the last accounts and discussed on that thread there is nothing to indicate that SUFC's indebtedness has reduced.

WRONG....

in 2009 SUFC paid back almost 50% of the money they owed to SEL (522,720 out of 1,161,732)

There were investments / Financing of 1.3M Loans 400K - guaranteed by RM, 606K deed of assignment against MD's property in benfleet 45 K loan from MarkScheffel and 80K loan from Lockett.

So, to sum up .............in a week of revelations and frantic posts..............absolutely nothing has changed................ apart from Martin's credibility, that has shrunk to somewhere near the size of our squad for next season..............or even smaller, if that could be possible. On the bright side.........................doesn't the transfer window open tomorrow? ;)

So Grant's 2.5 year extension would have an effect on the capital account, yes? Am I understanding you correctly?

So Grant's 2.5 year extension would have an effect on the capital account, yes? Am I understanding you correctly?

No it won't.

The only thing that can be capitalised is any agents / other external cost, amortised over the length of the contract extension.

Wages are a P+L expense, whether you are a shopkeeper or a football club.

A signing on fee (if paid) would be deferred over the period, but not capitalised.

Back