• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

griblet

Presume this is the man: Rhys Taylor- Looked and certainly sounds interesting...

Born in Neath, West Glamorgan, Taylor played mainly in the Chelsea Reserves and the Youth Team but occasionally got called to sit on the bench when another goalkeeper got injured. He joined Queens Park Rangers on loan in November 2009 until 4 January 2010. [SUP][2][/SUP] During the 2009–10 season, he made eight appearances for Chelsea's reserve team as their first choice goalkeeper.[SUP][3][/SUP]
He joined League Two team Crewe Alexandra for pre-season training in June 2010 and an agreement was made for him to join the club on loan.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] The loan was initially set to last for two months, with Taylor expected to gain first team experience as a replacement for injured goalkeeper Steve Phillips.[SUP][6][/SUP] The loan was completed on 6 July.[SUP][7][/SUP] On 12 July he appeared for Crewe's first team in a friendly match against Quorn,[SUP][8][/SUP] earning a clean sheet in Crewe's 4–0 win.[SUP][9][/SUP] The loan period was subsequently converted into a season-long arrangement,[SUP][10][/SUP] with Taylor soon establishing himself as first-choice goalkeeper.
On 2 January 2012, Taylor moved to Rotherham United on a one-month loan deal.[SUP][11][/SUP] He made his debut the same day in a 3-0 win over Bradford City, despite not even training with the squad prior the match.
On 31 January 2012, Rotherham extended Taylor's loan deal until the end of the season.[SUP][12][/SUP]
Rhys returned to Chelsea at the end of Npower League 2 season after a successful spell at the club, playing 20 games. On 1 June 2012 Rhys was released with Salomon Kalou, Jose Bosingwa and Marko Mitrovic. He never made a professional appearance Premier League side.
[h=2][edit] International career[/h]Taylor was called up to the Wales under-21 squad at the age of 17 in 2008. He has subsequently been identified by manager Brian Flynn to be one of the country's most promising future prospects. Flynn considers him to have a promising future for the Wales national football team.[SUP][13][/SUP]

Thought Taylor looked reasonable- probably worth a punt- BUT I agree he didn't come for any crosses. The first WH goal was a header in our 6 yard box.

Now if you dont come for crosses the oppo can swing it into the 6 yard box with impunity- not good for defenders. Although conditions were pretty bad. But if he stays on his line in L2 then the oppo will take advantage. On the other hand his distribution was good rolling/throwing it out to get us moving rather than aimless hoofs.

He was defo a fault for the second goal- should have stopped it.

PS has had a good look at him in training so suspect after today he will make a decion one way or another.

Hmmm...looked very keen to impress to me. Diving full length at every chance, sliding on the ground to collect loose balls and looking to make a statement. I'm not sure about him though. Maynard's header came from a cross he should have collected and he waved a shot wide - unfortunately it nestled in the corner for 2-0.

Worth another look? Don't see the need tbh. Think he elevated his game for the trial (as you'd expect) and over a run of games don't think he'd be what we are after. A number two? Perhaps, but why bring in a keeper as a second choice when we have Bentley?

I think Sturrock is obviously looking for an improvement on Morris and Belford and he's not as good as either of those two. Smith the same. Keep looking Luggy!!

Taylor may have been nervous, but I like a keeper who will cut out the crosses. i thought that he was as fault for both goals (I was sitting behind his goal), lthough he may have been un-sighted for the 2nd.

For me (on what I saw today) both goalies were not imposing enough and wouldn't inspire confidence towards the defence

So if it was up to me I would look elsewhere.

Too be fair to Smith, he did have to have the second half in front of 2,000 West Ham fans, so not the ideal way to make your debut.

That said, we were quite disappointed he turned up late. If you are on trial for a club, I'd like to think you'd bust a nut to impress and the traffic didnt look that bad around Essex. Leave (very?!) early, get there a few hours before and relax...

Yeah, more than anything it bothers me that he turned up late. If I turned up nearly an hour late to a job interview I simply wouldn't be seen. Surely you'd allow for any eventuality considering the conditions and leave extra early, not very professional to be in the starting line up and not turn up until half time.

Too be fair to Smith, he did have to have the second half in front of 2,000 West Ham fans, so not the ideal way to make your debut.

That said, we were quite disappointed he turned up late. If you are on trial for a club, I'd like to think you'd bust a nut to impress and the traffic didnt look that bad around Essex. Leave (very?!) early, get there a few hours before and relax...

Does he live in Essex?

Back