• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Taylor showed good handling in very tricky conditions, worth a second look.

Didn't like the look of Smith.

Dont like the white keeper kit.

Too be fair to Smith, he did have to have the second half in front of 2,000 West Ham fans, so not the ideal way to make your debut.

That said, we were quite disappointed he turned up late. If you are on trial for a club, I'd like to think you'd bust a nut to impress and the traffic didnt look that bad around Essex. Leave (very?!) early, get there a few hours before and relax...
Ok, a word on the traffic, I've no idea where he was coming from but the journey on paper to Southend isn't very long. Fairfax Drive was closed heading towards the ground so if he came that way, he'd have been stuck in traffic and detours. The A13 was queued back from the Palace to Chalkwell Park. If you don't know the area, you don't know short cuts so you have to stick with it. I've no idea what the A127 was like so can't comment on that.

Spot on about being in front of the Spammer supporters. Also probably being in front of our main singing section and not getting the support a home keeper normally would (that's not a criticism by the way, just an observation).

Taylor showed good handling in very tricky conditions, worth a second look.

Didn't like the look of Smith.

Dont like the white keeper kit.

I hated the white keeper's kit! Thought it was awful! Take a leaf out of West Ham's book, Jaaskelainen looked very smart in green.

While we have white keepers that's what kit we will have to use :smile:
? :unsure:

I didnt like the white kit for its worth, but i did think the cross was too high for him to come from which they scored. taylor looked to have good hands even in those conditions an was very quick to get back to his feet after parrying balls wide unlike smith who looked slow to recover from anything an pushed the ball nicely to there lad. at least taylor has potential ti still fulfil always sell him if he does come good.

One thing I'd say about the (1st) goal is perhaps Taylor should have come, but West Ham piled people round the keeper (got to love Allerdyce!?) and it was very hard for him to move anywhere, especially with the bulky Nolan in front of him all the time.

Dunno... perhaps he could have been stronger.

I think the other saves he DID make probably make up for any errors (the point blank save in the 1st minute before the disallowed goal was very good) and I'd be happy with him for this level anyways.

Ok, a word on the traffic, I've no idea where he was coming from but the journey on paper to Southend isn't very long

hahahaha hilarious. Genius. If you didn't know where he was coming from how can you say the journey on paper is not that long

hahahaha hilarious. Genius. If you didn't know where he was coming from how can you say the journey on paper is not that long

Hmmm ..... three posts only, all in support of the seemingly hapless Smith; I guess you're a bit closer to him than most of us. Was he unlucky that a good team like Swindon lost 75% of the League games in which he played last season? Were there mitigating circumstances? You don't want to judge a player entirely on statistics, nor would you wish to ignore them altogether !

I do take you point about that ludicrous statement though!

One thing I'd say about the (1st) goal is perhaps Taylor should have come, but West Ham piled people round the keeper (got to love Allerdyce!?) and it was very hard for him to move anywhere, especially with the bulky Nolan in front of him all the time.

Dunno... perhaps he could have been stronger.

I think the other saves he DID make probably make up for any errors (the point blank save in the 1st minute before the disallowed goal was very good) and I'd be happy with him for this level anyways.

Intersting point re crowding/Nolan- front the East it just seems a corner comes into our 6 yard box and keeper on the line.
He was obviosly rated by Wales and Chelsea early on and has done well wherever he has been on loan (incl most recently Rotherham). Would imagine he is the most likely now.

Fact is if you are out of work and want to impress a new employer, he shouldve left plenty of time or even booked a hotel overnight on friday. Id be surprised if he gets another run out.
A goalkeeper is possibly the most vital position in the team so we need to do better than a 32yr old Swindon reject in my view. Look at the teams who got promoted last season and they all had good keepers. Smith in my opinion is no better than Morris and certainly not better than Belford. Taylor sounds promising, would like to see us maybe try and get Daniels back on loan for the season or look elsewhere. If we ship out Mohsni could we not use the money to get a decent goalie?

Because the journey on paper to Southend doesn't take into account any of the myriad number of traffic crippling delays that are going on at the moment...or is that too difficult a concept to take on board???!!! :dim:

You look at a journey by SatNav, AA or simple, plain old map book and judge by the distance. A journey to Southend from anywhere is going to look less on paper than what it is because nothing can possibly allow for roadworks!

Because the journey on paper to Southend doesn't take into account any of the myriad number of traffic crippling delays that are going on at the moment...or is that too difficult a concept to take on board???!!! :dim:

You look at a journey by SatNav, AA or simple, plain old map book and judge by the distance. A journey to Southend from anywhere is going to look less on paper than what it is because nothing can possibly allow for roadworks!

Ok seems I misinterpreted your original post, and I think I now understand what you were trying to say, and agree with you.

I Appologize if I offended

Ive always left in plenty of time an planned my journey for the ' just in case' im only late when i dont care or when i know i can take the **** either of which is not good

Hmmm...looked very keen to impress to me. Diving full length at every chance, sliding on the ground to collect loose balls and looking to make a statement. I'm not sure about him though. Maynard's header came from a cross he should have collected and he waved a shot wide - unfortunately it nestled in the corner for 2-0.

Worth another look? Don't see the need tbh. Think he elevated his game for the trial (as you'd expect) and over a run of games don't think he'd be what we are after. A number two? Perhaps, but why bring in a keeper as a second choice when we have Bentley?

I think Sturrock is obviously looking for an improvement on Morris and Belford and he's not as good as either of those two. Smith the same. Keep looking Luggy!!

That is particularly unfair. I was in the West Stand right behind the ball. There is no way on earth any goalkeeper would have save that. The ball only just missed the inside of the post, i.e. it was about as far away from the 'keeper as it could be and still be on target. He simply couldn't reach it.

As for Smith. I have a certain amount of sympathy for him. He turned up late because he was stuck in trafffic. (He was supposed to play the first half.) The goal he let in was a nightmare of a shot given the conditions. However, he didn't instill the same level of confidence as Taylor in the first half.

No wish to se either again unless they are playing for the opposition.

Back