• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Today's Football Department Meeting

Which is key. Several of the clubs we signed players from in January commented on how nice it was to do business with SUFC. That's all Tom Lawrence and can only help us to build beneficial relationships and rebuild this club's reputation throughout the game.

I’m fairly sure that was just a nice bit of PR requested by Southend, maybe with a £500 sweetener thrown or the promise of a friendly.

Regardless, good to see.

Hi Guys

Hope you're well and the football withdrawal symptoms haven't started yet.

Met Kev and John in deepest Essex today to consolidate, unify and finalise targets. These are players that have all been watched extensively.

There's a unity in names, numbers and positions, and we're ready to strike immediately.

In budget, due diligence and now in complete agreement one day after the old season ends.

Incredibly proud of the work Kev, Daz, Benno, John, the scouts and I have done to get to this point.

We're ready.

Stan ?
Sorry I’ve logged onto the wrong forum, this can’t be SUFC !
Joking aside, well done Stan ?‍♂️

Aortic stenosis. Had a procedure at 14 to repair it and claims that he doesn't feel at risk. So don't know what will happen with that one. Surely Dorking are paying an inflated insurance premium for him though, so can't be that prohibitive?
My son suffered from this condition and has a mechanical valve and so has to take a blood thinner, in my sons case warfarin. The advice to my son was that there is a moderate risk in pursuing contact sports due to the risk of an internal bleed. However my son has always been very active and pushes weights around like they were toys. I’m also pretty sure if my memory serves me right that both Roger Black and Arnold Swarzeneger, bet I spelt that wrong, both suffered from this condition as well

Thanks Stan. Before you came on board I was almost ready to give up on my home town club, thinking something was rotten in the club. For the first time in years I feel like we have a way forward and life has meaning again. Thank you from the Newell family, from the bottom of our hearts.

That would be great wouldn't it? I think what we have to bear in mind is that, just because we have identified targets, that doesn't mean that a deal can be reached that quickly, and that's assuming they want to come.

I think it's also interesting to note that Stan's post has gone down well, and so it should. It shows intent and that the club is on the front foot. But what we don't really know is if this is that much different from previous season (I would imagine that it is, but we don't know that for sure.) Hopefully the difference will be that these players will sign before pre-season training because (hopefully) we'll have different people speaking to the players and their agents, and we won't have RM conducting any negotiations.
Yes it feels completely different recruitment wise and i think it is , and that has been obvious to date. and not just the morale, culture , wit, structure and enthusiasm, blimey we are even exploring young hungries
One of the biggest issues Stan made a critical point about was our dire recruitment and that we needed a completely new structure, That has been put in place with the 3 Amigos knowing the divisions thoroughly, Stans Mega commitment, energy and enthusiasm ( how would you turn Stan down if cornered in aroom ) ? dear Mr Still and his genius, plus his army of volunteers and Anton Robinson, thats before our bright and Charming Tom gets to work his magic

Ive not forgotten the dark , poorly structured days of no signings, last in the line, embargo after embargo, signing players on paper who actually never got to play for us etc.

I think things have changed a bit !

Yes it feels completely different recruitment wise and i think it is , and that has been obvious to date. and not just the morale, culture , wit, structure and enthusiasm, blimey we are even exploring young hungries
One of the biggest issues Stan made a critical point about was our dire recruitment and that we needed a completely new structure, That has been put in place with the 3 Amigos knowing the divisions thoroughly, Stans Mega commitment, energy and enthusiasm ( how would you turn Stan down if cornered in aroom ) ? dear Mr Still and his genius, plus his army of volunteers and Anton Robinson, thats before our bright and Charming Tom gets to work his magic

Ive not forgotten the dark , poorly structured days of no signings, last in the line, embargo after embargo, signing players on paper who actually never got to play for us etc.

I think things have changed a bit !
Yeah, this. You can’t imagine Stan or any of the people in place now making some of the awful signings we have done in the last 3/4 years. I’m confident that the people in charge of scouting/recruitment now can source players and characters we need to push forward. They might not all work out but I’ve a feeling that the vast majority will.

My son suffered from this condition and has a mechanical valve and so has to take a blood thinner, in my sons case warfarin. The advice to my son was that there is a moderate risk in pursuing contact sports due to the risk of an internal bleed. However my son has always been very active and pushes weights around like they were toys. I’m also pretty sure if my memory serves me right that both Roger Black and Arnold Swarzeneger, bet I spelt that wrong, both suffered from this condition as well
I have a mechanical aortic heart valve. My condition was inherited and I knew nothing about it until my mid 30's when I was taken to hospital after breaking my ankle playing football. I had no prior symptoms and amongst other sports I used to run halve marathons, play football and swim.

Yeah, this. You can’t imagine Stan or any of the people in place now making some of the awful signings we have done in the last 3/4 years. I’m confident that the people in charge of scouting/recruitment now can source players and characters we need to push forward. They might not all work out but I’ve a feeling that the vast majority will.
That to me is the key point. When you buy young players you're always taking a bit of a risk and some won't work out. The important thing is that we don't berate the management team if that is the case. Even Dave Webb had a pretty average record with signings.

That to me is the key point. When you buy young players you're always taking a bit of a risk and some won't work out. The important thing is that we don't berate the management team if that is the case. Even Dave Webb had a pretty average record with signings.

Or old players, or players that smashed the league apart the previous year.

No signing is risk free.

Or old players, or players that smashed the league apart the previous year.

No signing is risk free.
Absolutely this.

Young players aren’t inherently more risky than old players. Players from the next division down aren’t inherently more risky than players from the division above. If anything the bigger wage that players from higher divisions usually command is the bigger risk.

The main exceptions would be if a player was stepping up from u23s to first team football or moving up say 3 levels in the football pyramid then it’s a crap shoot.

The main exceptions would be if a player was stepping up from u23s to first team football or moving up say 3 levels in the football pyramid then it’s a crap shoot.
They'd fit in well, then. That's our finishing, week in, week out.

Absolutely this.

Young players aren’t inherently more risky than old players. Players from the next division down aren’t inherently more risky than players from the division above. If anything the bigger wage that players from higher divisions usually command is the bigger risk.

I tend to agree.
Older players have less to prove. At a certain age, plus 30 for example, they tend to be slower.
Yes, you need experience, but I think most of us would take speed and control over experience in this league, something like seven to four in any one team?

All sounds good but this is the same club that can't even update their own website with the results of their blues lottery promotion.

I heard we lost out on 2 signings after they saw the state of our website and heard about the Lottery Promotion **** up.
Mock all you want but not everybody is able to attend games at the moment and rely on the club for the information as the prizes aren't posted out like before.

Back