• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Today's Meeting.

Trying to do things on the cheap is false economy.
Exactly this. Same premise applies when buying anything, e.g. a football. If I buy one of those cheap £5 footballs from Sports Direct, I guarantee I will be coming back to buy another one in no more than a month or two's time. If I invest in a decent £30 Nike match ball, I shouldn't need another one for a long while.

Investing in a CEO and stability will stop you buying lots of cheap rubbish and chopping and changing regularly (which we have in both players and management) and you will get a better return for your buck.

I think Stan made the case that he has not earnt any money for the past 30 or so years from outside the football Industry. Therefore if he has a vibe that the candidate would suit us well, I am sure he isn't just making that statement as a blind opinion, but also through what he knows himself and also other people within the football world.

I for one think that an appointment of such a person, with the right remit that he or she is comfortable with and the budget to do the job, be able to work with Ron, PB, should he stay or whoever manages the team if he doesn't and have Stan as a club advisor sounds a massive step forward than where we have started the last three seasons.

I am not holding back in my hopes and will be bitterly disappointed if this doesn't come off.

For that reason I am behind Stan's involvement 100%

Oh and thanks again Stan for the open update, with what information you feel is appropriate at the current time.

I get the feeling a lot of people are sceptical about this whole Stan thing than they're willing to say.

You had obviously already 'had enough' and felt negative when you set up your user name in Oct 2020 and I believe it was March 19th when you posted this:

"I have to say, it's been a pleasure to talk to so many good people on this thread, people who give out great information, those who vaccinate on a daily basis, understanding and caring with empathy, it's made me realise not everyone is bad. As for the rest of this site, it's just toxic in so many ways, even during a pandemic, a lot of people are just nasty. With that (in my 5 months on this site), I won't be coming on here anymore, but I wish all of those I've chatted too great health going forward and look after yourselves :Thumbs up:"

Since then you have had made a great number of posts which is surprising, what brought you back ?
The vast majority are really pleased that Stan is doing his best to help our club and keep us updated on how things are going so please don't speculate on what others are thinking.

Last edited:
Great news, but... a question;

I’m not trying to play Devil’s advocate, but who is going to pay the salary of the potential said CEO?

We all want this to happen, but why would RM be able to afford to pay for this person now we are in the NL, when he kept his hands firmly in his pockets previously?

Is their a 3rd or even 4th man contributing?
Because he is about to find out about planning permission which will see him able to access a decent amount of money.

Lets not forget that Ron actually wants the club to succeed and has never been reluctant to invest when he could in the past.

Also I think people are overestimating how much a CEO of a national league team will get paid by at least 30-40%

I cannot believe some people, We are on our arse as a club right now and I am delighted that an ex player - especially one who's profile within the game is as high as his is, is willing to help us. He isn't a fan of Southend, He played for us for 6 months and yet he has gone out of his way to offer us some support and I for one am delighted he is doing so.

Phil Gridlet, Andy Sussex, Neville Roache, Barrington Belgrave, Ian Selley or Stan Collymore - every player who is willing to help us right now I would embrace. The club is hurting, the fan base is hurting and I am loving the proactivity to try and enact change within the confines of what Rons choke hold will allow until his pay day. If this ends up being nothing it can't be any worse than the reality we find ourselves in, so lets all get behind the club and anyone who wants a positive future for Southend - Whether that be Stan, SOS, The Trust or anyone else who are making actions to provoke change
What about Trevor Fitzpatrick?

Has this been edited? Seeing a different version on twitter with reference to old Liverpool players?

If you’re talking about John Barnes & Ian Rush, they both played in this game alongside Stan.

Barnes started the game & Rush was a 85th minute substitute.

Thankyou for putting yourself out for us Mr Collymore. Amazing what can be achieved with contacts & a bit of willpower.
You are & always will be a Shrimpers Legend in my book. ?? ? ?

You had obviously already 'had enough' and felt negative when you set up your user name in Oct 2020 and I believe it was March 19th when you posted this:

"I have to say, it's been a pleasure to talk to so many good people on this thread, people who give out great information, those who vaccinate on a daily basis, understanding and caring with empathy, it's made me realise not everyone is bad. As for the rest of this site, it's just toxic in so many ways, even during a pandemic, a lot of people are just nasty. With that (in my 5 months on this site), I won't be coming on here anymore, but I wish all of those I've chatted too great health going forward and look after yourselves :Thumbs up:"

Since then you have had made a great number of posts which is surprising, what brought you back ?
The vast majority are really pleased that Stan is doing his best to help our club and keep us updated on how things are going so please don't speculate on what others are thinking.

Congratulations on being a stalker.....

Because he is about to find out about planning permission which will see him able to access a decent amount of money.

Lets not forget that Ron actually wants the club to succeed and has never been reluctant to invest when he could in the past.

Also I think people are overestimating how much a CEO of a national league team will get paid by at least 30-40%

He has been about to be finding out about the new stadium for the last 20 years.

For a chairman who wants a club to succeed he sure has a funny way of showing it. Bills unpaid, players unpaid and embargoes. No real structure the club. Poor marketing and no hierarchy.

Last edited:
It stands to reason that if you want a loaf of bread you would go to a baker and not a banker.

It also stands to reason that if you want a new football stadium built you would go to a property developer and not a footballer.

And if you want success on a football pitch you would go to a footballer with years experience behind them to guide you in the right direction and dare I say it not a property developer.

The thing is here we need both the property developer and the football expert to work as a family along side the most important part, the fanbase!

Perhaps we do now have everything we need? The property developer, the football expert and the ever so passionate fanbase that bring the emotion to the game like no other.

Is it possible that we could all work in the same direction? Experts doing what they know best giving our club the best chance of moving forward?

Imagine us all getting what we really wanted. Hard to believe I know in the current situation. But what if it all works out and Ron’s weight from his shoulders gets lifted and the team start to progress again?

Maybe just maybe when the ground is built and the football side of things is back where it should be Ron could find it in his heart to set up a scheme where the fanbase could invest in the stadium and facilities and allow our club to own these valuable assets again!

Who knows?

C'mon pal, how can we get you excited? Tell me what you want and let's see if we can make you happy!

Stanley, send him a copy of 'The Stanley Collymore collection of goals' video of your amazing 6 months at the club?
I still get moist watching it, & i'm nigh on 64!. Hopefully it's not the start of incontinence problems!!.

Hi Guys

Met with Ron and potential CEO today over a very constructive 2 hours.

As a courtesy to you guys, the most important part of the club, and to the guys in the meeting today, I'll keep it to the facts above, and that the meeting was incredibly positive.

Will report back at the end of the week.

Stan ?

Thank you Stan for the update, all your hard work and support, it's very much appreciated ?

I did have an amusing reply in my head but thought I'd better not, you've done all that and got the T shirt :Smile:

Here we go. Hinting at Stan's past and getting personal. Why the funny face? it's not funny or clever at all. Many on here have been going on about a CEO ever since the last one left. Stan has stepped in, and we may actually be getting one. How we can afford it I don't know, as staff have been laid off. But we shall see on that one. Put it this way, Do you think Stan's involvement and help and connections will put us in a better place? Surely the answer is yes. He's the best thing that's happened to the club in years. A total breath of fresh air and a new way of looking at things. He's actually jumped onboard a sinking ship. How posters can have a go at him, I don't know.

Back