• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Toellandbacks Leeds preview

toellandback

Andy Cap
A big game for both

Tuesday night sees the Shrimper’s visit the home of football, Elland Road. A game that is vitally important for both teams although for very different reasons. Leeds are after 3 points to push themselves closer to the promotion hunt and Southend need to get back to winning ways.
With tomorrow being one of the cheaper games and Leeds winning convincingly at the weekend there should be a good crowd.
A lot has changed since we last played each other including a change in management for us with Gary Macalister being replaced by Simon “Larry” Grayson. Here’s to a good game and a safe trip for all those that venture up.

Leeds’ Last 5 League Results:

Leicester (H) 1-1 - Howson
Stockport (A) 1-3 – Becchio, Delph, Christie
Carlisle (H) 0-2
Brighton (A) 0-2 - Trundle, Delph
Peterborough (H) 3-1 – Beckford (x2), Howson

How they lined up on the 28/10/2008:

SOUTHEND UNITED 1 (Harding 18) LEEDS UNITED 0

Southend: Federici, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Revell (McCormack 83), Robson-Kanu, Christophe, Betsy, Harding, Laurent (Scannell 75), Sawyer (Grant 80). Subs not used: Walker, Sankofa

United: Ankergren, Richardson, Michalik, Telfer, Parker, Kilkenny (Robinson 66), Douglas, Delph (Snodgrass 66), Howson, Beckford, Becchio. Subs not used: Lucas, Prutton, White

How they lined up in their last league game:

Leeds United: Ankergren, Hughes, Marques, Naylor, Dickinson, Robinson (Snodgrass 88), Douglas, Delph, Johnson, Becchio (Beckford 59), Trundle (Howson 82). Subs: Lucas, Michalik.

The Gaffer:
Simon Grayson- The new manager of Leeds United celebrated his first month in charge on Saturday. A Leeds fan since he was a boy and a product of our youth academy before being allowed to leave. He went on to have a good playing career including playing for Martin O’Neil. This is perhaps the biggest influence on his management style. A track suited man manager who appears to have the players playing with a smile on their faces. He has shored up the defence and confidence is high with all involved with Leeds United.

The likely Line Up:

Casper Ankergren

Andy Hughes Richard Naylor Rui Marques Carl Dickinson

Andy Robinson Jonny Douglas Fabian Delph Brad Johnson

Jermaine Beckford Lee Trundle

Leeds goalscorers
Jermaine Beckford - 21
Lucciano Becchio - 12
Robert Snodgrass - 6
Andy Robinson - 6
Fab Delph - 6

Toellandback's Ones to watch.

Richard Naylor- A tall, commanding, experienced leader of a centre back. On an initial months loan from Ipswich, hopefully staying for much longer though. He is what we have been missing and has meant that our defence has looked a lot more organised. We tend to do well with ginger captains.

Lee Trundle- Another loan signing and another man who is playing out of his skin. A maverick of a player who without doubt would have been playing at a higher level was it not for a lack of pace. His arrival also means he has been reunited with best mate Andy Robinson and the two appear lean and eager to impress

Jermaine Beckford- Currently on 21 goals for the season having missed over two months of the season. A huge player for us who’s pace frightens every defender in this league. He is also playing up-front having just returned from training and looks lean and hungry.

Fab Delph- Still with us as I type and the driving force behind the team. When he demands the ball we play well. Its easy to forget he is in his first full season in professional football, we are rumoured to have turned down two bids of 8 million for him from Fulham and Arsenal.

Thanks to Ricey whose template I have shamelessly nicked. Any questions you know where I am.

Last edited:
the form we are in you don't stand a chance
watch out for kevin betsy he's class

well done on your challenge btw

We are doomed with are form.

Besty to score a last min goal when were 4-0 behind.

Its scary looking at the Southend team playing in the last match between the two sides & what team is likely to play tomorrow. Only four, although realistically after Betsy awful showing on Saturday, three of that winning team are likely to start tomorrow. How good does that team look compared to the one that played on Saturday?!

A big game for both

Tuesday night sees the Shrimper’s visit the home of football, Elland Road. A game that is vitally important for both teams although for very different reasons. Leeds are after 3 points to push themselves closer to the promotion hunt and Southend need to get back to winning ways.
With tomorrow being one of the cheaper games and Leeds winning convincingly at the weekend there should be a good crowd.
A lot has changed since we last played each other including a change in management for us with Gary Macalister being replaced by Simon “Larry” Grayson. Here’s to a good game and a safe trip for all those that venture up.

Leeds’ Last 5 League Results:

Leicester (H) 1-1 - Howson
Stockport (A) 1-3 – Becchio, Delph, Christie
Carlisle (H) 0-2
Brighton (A) 0-2 - Trundle, Delph
Peterborough (H) 3-1 – Beckford (x2), Howson

How they lined up on the 28/10/2008:

SOUTHEND UNITED 1 (Harding 18) LEEDS UNITED 0
Southend: Federici, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Revell (McCormack 83), Robson-Kanu, Christophe, Betsy, Harding, Laurent (Scannell 75), Sawyer (Grant 80). Subs not used: Walker, Sankofa
United: Ankergren, Richardson, Michalik, Telfer, Parker, Kilkenny (Robinson 66), Douglas, Delph (Snodgrass 66), Howson, Beckford, Becchio. Subs not used: Lucas, Prutton, White

How they lined up in their last league game:

Leeds United: Ankergren, Hughes, Marques, Naylor, Dickinson, Robinson (Snodgrass 88), Douglas, Delph, Johnson, Becchio (Beckford 59), Trundle (Howson 82). Subs: Lucas, Michalik.

The Gaffer:
Simon Grayson- The new manager of Leeds United celebrated his first month in charge on Saturday. A Leeds fan since he was a boy and a product of our youth academy before being allowed to leave. He went on to have a good playing career including playing for Martin O’Neil. This is perhaps the biggest influence on his management style. A track suited man manager who appears to have the players playing with a smile on their faces. He has shored up the defence and confidence is high with all involved with Leeds United.
The likely Line Up:

Casper Ankergren

Andy Hughes Richard Naylor Rui Marques Carl Dickinson
Andy Robinson Jonny Douglas Fabian Delph Brad Johnson
Jermaine Beckford Lee Trundle

Toellandback's Ones to watch.

Richard Naylor- A tall, commanding, experienced leader of a centre back. On an initial months loan from Ipswich, hopefully staying for much longer though. He is what we have been missing and has meant that our defence has looked a lot more organised. We tend to do well with ginger captains.

Lee Trundle- Another loan signing and another man who is playing out of his skin. A maverick of a player who without doubt would have been playing at a higher level was it not for a lack of pace. His arrival also means he has been reunited with best mate Andy Robinson and the two appear lean and eager to impress

Jermaine Beckford- Currently on 21 goals for the season having missed over two months of the season. A huge player for us who’s pace frightens every defender in this league. He is also playing up-front having just returned from training and looks lean and hungry.

Fab Delph- Still with us as I type and the driving force behind the team. When he demands the ball we play well. Its easy to forget he is in his first full season in professional football, we are rumoured to have turned down two bids of 8 million for him from Fulham and Arsenal.

Thanks to Ricey whose template I have shamelessly nicked. Any questions you know where I am.

I have a question, should we bother turning up tomorrow?

I really didn't need to read that, I am depressed enough as it is.

We are gonna get spanked!

:'(

I have a question, should we bother turning up tomorrow?

:D It will be a real test for us, i hope that we can get some form going. Blackpool had a 10-11 match winning run and we could do with starting one of them sometime soon under Larry.

I mentioned Trundle and Beckford starting, that said he could play Lucciano Beccicho instead. Also Robert Snodgrass may replace Bradley Johnson, they will be the only changes i could see from saturdays game.

Could you lend us Johnson for day then if you aren't going to use him yourself... seems a shame for the lad to miss out like that!

Its scary looking at the Southend team playing in the last match between the two sides & what team is likely to play tomorrow. Only four, although realistically after Betsy awful showing on Saturday, three of that winning team are likely to start tomorrow. How good does that team look compared to the one that played on Saturday?!

My thoughts exactly Rich .. oh dear :'(

Lets just pretend we're playing Chelsea again and defend for our lives for 90 mins. A 0-0 would be brilliant. But we'll probably concede after 5 minutes.

:D It will be a real test for us, i hope that we can get some form going. Blackpool had a 10-11 match winning run and we could do with starting one of them sometime soon under Larry.

I mentioned Trundle and Beckford starting, that said he could play Lucciano Beccicho instead. Also Robert Snodgrass may replace Bradley Johnson, they will be the only changes i could see from saturdays game.

That would be a no then.

Good effort Gareth, you have beaten me to it and save me a job ;) I was going to bring my first one of this year for the Leeds game.

Good effort Gareth, you have beaten me to it and save me a job ;) I was going to bring my first one of this year for the Leeds game.

Sorry mate, you can do one still and i will just rubbish it ;). There harder then they look aren't they?!?

Back