• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tolerance when it comes to "Glory Hunting" fans

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Getting a few emails from various mates about where to watch tomorrow tomorrow Champions League game.

One of my mates has just come back with the following comment.

"Watching it with my mate from work - He is a full on scouser".

I have delved a little more into this comment and it turns out being a "full on Scouser" means coming from Sussex but he has been to "a few" games over the past few years.

A few years ago this would not have bothered me but nowadays I really feel unwell at the thought of people just picking a "glory" club for the sake of it.

I know its a natural occurance people want to support a sucess but I really hate the way they think that buying a shirt in our local JJB makes them a fan.

I am now at the point where I would rather watch it at home on my todd in a dark room than sit and watch it with some plastic Liverpool fan jumping up and down and saying "we" when he means Liverpool.

Should I be more tolerant towards these plastics or are they just scum as I think.:finger:

No, they are the scum, and you are 100% correct. When Liverpool played the 2005 final, instead of watching it in the bar, we watched it on a 14inch tele in his room. Neither of us wanted to watch it with a load of plastic football fans. He used to have a seaso at Anfield, and it was much better watching a game with someone who knows football.

My mate's already out there, and even though he's from Southport, has had a season ticket in the Kop since the age of 8, and now works in the football industry, he's still called a Woolyback and not a proper Scouser.

Where do you draw the line?

Personally, I think anyone who a) watches games by telly rather than live; b) only starting watching recently despite no obvious connection and c) are annoyingly "fashionable/middleclass" are gloryhunters.

Many of my best mates are southern Liverpool fans and it does hack me right off. They're all good boys but the fact that they are all glory hunters really grates.

Hence I shall be watching the game round my place with a mate who, like me, has no love for either side. I'm just hoping (although not necessarily hopeful) for a good game of football.

I'm right with you DtS. It ****es me off something rotten and I'll be watching the game at home.

What the **** is the point of just latching on to a successful team, regardless of where you are in the country? What do you get from it? Will any of those Plastic Scousers feel as good as we did when we beat Man Utd? Of course they ****ing won't.

I watched the 2005 Final in Soho House where a mate had organised a viewing of it. Great idea, I thought. Private bar, big telly, all of your mates. Cracking stuff.

Five minutes before kic-off there were 70-odd people in there, all singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in mockney accents. When the second half kicked off, I was one of just seven people still in the room. Five minutes after Alonso's penalty and 63 people burst back into the room having hurried back from a Chinese restuarant they'd gone to when it was 0-3.

What a pack of *****.

I don't subscribe to the view that you should want an English team to win. What the **** have Liverpool got to do with us? If English teams win it just widens the gap between all of us and an 'elite' top 4.

It's all bull**** and the weirdest thing is that Liverpool fans have absolutely no idea how much they're hated. I've heard Liverpool fans from Cumbria who have never been to Anfield, slagging off Chelsea fans as 'Johnny Come Latelys'.

Pot? Kettle? He just called you black!

I don't want to be seem like a football snob, but I am one, so that's how it comes out.

My wish, my genuine wish in football, is that there is a serious financial crisis at the top of football and Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal all get hit hardest, prompting a mass exodus of players to Italy and the slow, drawn-out relegation of all four of them.

Then we'll see how loyal the replica-kit clad masses really are....

My ex-housemate at Uni was a Gooner. He was from Bournemouth, and had never set foot inside Highbury before. Considering I went to London Metropolitan University, which was a stones throw from Highbury (and subsequently now next to the Emirates), you'd have thought that he'd make the effort to see some games throughout his three years living in the capital.

His total match count?

One. An end of season game at home to Southampton. And yet, he still claimed to be the biggest Gooner in history, bought every single replica shirt and used to mock me for travelling to watch the Blues (home and away), and my other two housemates, a Norwich fan, and a Yid (who went to most home games). What made it worse though, was that during those three years, Arsenal were actually playing some of the best football I've ever seen.

No respect from me either, Dave and he is a 100% glory fan. However, personally I will be cheering the Reds on tomorrow purely because their an English side playing in a European Final (although, with only a couple of English players).

Last edited:
Getting a few emails from various mates about where to watch tomorrow tomorrow Champions League game.

One of my mates has just come back with the following comment.

"Watching it with my mate from work - He is a full on scouser".

I have delved a little more into this comment and it turns out being a "full on Scouser" means coming from Sussex but he has been to "a few" games over the past few years.

A few years ago this would not have bothered me but nowadays I really feel unwell at the thought of people just picking a "glory" club for the sake of it.

I know its a natural occurance people want to support a sucess but I really hate the way they think that buying a shirt in our local JJB makes them a fan.

I am now at the point where I would rather watch it at home on my todd in a dark room than sit and watch it with some plastic Liverpool fan jumping up and down and saying "we" when he means Liverpool.

Should I be more tolerant towards these plastics or are they just scum as I think.:finger:

I'm at the point where I would rather not watch the game. Even watching it at home you will be subjected to Clive Tyldseley, who is just as obnoxious as any plastic scouser.

Despite being a Man U supporter*, Tyldesley will still be cheering on the scousers, w^%&ing furiously everytime Steven Gerrard touches the ball and assuming that everyone watching at home is supporting the nominally English side**.

Despite being someone who would watch a kickabout in a park, the Fourth-Place-Third-Place-Runners-Up-and-Champions European Revenue Securing League (the Fourth Upwards Cup Knockout European Revenue Securing League for short?) bores me. I can't stand the hype, I just want to see a competitive game, rather than be told what I'm watching is the pinnacle of football when it blatantly isn't.

*Its a little known fact that Sky's Fanzone was inspired after a Sky executive happened to listen to Clive Tyldesley and Big Racist Ron commentate on a Man U game.

**How English can a club be, who is owned by foreigners, managed by a foreigner, a majority of their players are foreigners, a majority of their supporters are foreigners and whose interest in the English league system is essentially limited to ensuring that they qualify for the European league competition? Whilst Tydslely will proclaim that they will be dancing in the streets of Toxteth, the truth is they'll be more dancing in the streets of Singapore, Bangkok and the US/China depending on where they've highlighted as the next emerging market to capitalise on.

One thing I want to clarify is that isn't necessarily about how many matches you go to a season, or how far you travel. We've all got jobs/degree courses/kids/girlfriends who lose their sense of humour when you annonce that you're off to Burnley for the weekend etc etc etc

I've even got a bit of sympathy for the Cornish Man Utd fans or the Somerset Liverpool fans who watch all the games on telly and get up for one or two games a season. Not much, but a bit.

It's the ***** who have no idea who's in the squad, or who they're playing on Saturday, or who their manager was in 1986. The ones who just adopt a team and leave them lying dormant in their heart until an important match crops up.

"What's that? Champions League Final? Yeah, mate, I'm a big Liverpool fan. Let's hope Cisse can get on the scoresheet again, eh?"

It's like International tournaments. You know how you can't get married in a church unless you've been turning up for regular Sunday services? They should have that with World Cups.

If the landlord hasn't seen you in the pub watching football before, you shouldn't be allowed in to block my ****ing view with your big full-of-knowledge-about-other-things head, you ****ing rugby-preferring twonk.

Hit a nerve Slip or just a bad day mate :p

Top post though, totally agree with your comments.

Ahh, lighten up fellas. That McManaman's a cracking player, isn't he...

:p

To be honest, I happily pop my jingoistic hat on for any English side playing Johnny Foreigner in a European competition. It's the closest I'll get to experiencing the feeling of England winning something (since, clearly, we're rubbish once the white shirts and three Lions are donned).

Besides, I subscribe to the view that the club is the fans. They're English, so I'll support 'em.

Waxing lyrical on the rare occasions that Rangers or Celtic advance in European competition, on the other hand... well, I draw the line there.

Matt

Did'nt watch 2005, no plans to watch tomorrow. I have to coordinate our Wembley box at work so have not been having a great time sorting out the prawn sandwich brigade.Lots of glory hunters amongst them,clueless.

I think there are two types of glory-hunters:
Those who support a big club they have no connection with simply because that club are succesful.
And those who start following their local team when they start doing well.
Obviously this guy falls into the first category and I cannot understand the mentality of people like that at all
I know the second category are equally unpopular with some people but my view is 'the more, the merrier' as we are going to need a lot of them if we are to fill the new ground (if we ever get it).

Its pathetic really, people latching onto successful teams, but we have had that as well.

Anyways, here is hoping Liverpool win tomorrow night with a screamer from Stevie G.

Makes me laugh when people at my old job used to take the **** when Southend lost. Most of them were plastic fans and would go. HAHA YOUR ****!

My reply would be "So how many (insert **** team here) games you been to this year"

They Reply: "errrrrr none I don't have the time"

My Reply: "Exactly so maybe when you get the time you can start ripping into my team you dumb ****!"

GRRRR Really gets on my nerves plastic fans.

I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and even after my old man started to take me to Southend I still considered myself to be a Liverpool fan (note not supporter!) aswell, obviously there is absolutely no choice at all when it comes to who my team is! And yes I have been to Anfield and I have also seen them play at Chelsea twice and Wet Sham twice aswell.

So I will be watching the game tomorrow and I will cheer if Liverpool score and (fingers crossed) if they win and to be honest I don't care what anybody thinks about that.

Of the "big" clubs, I've got the most respect for Liverpool... got some proper scouser mates who support them, so I'll quite happily cheer them on. If it was Chelski or Manure it would have been a different story.

Of the "big" clubs, I've got the most respect for Liverpool... got some proper scouser mates who support them, so I'll quite happily cheer them on. If it was Chelski or Manure it would have been a different story.

I will cheer them on as a neutral, cause yes I admit I don't mind Liverpool. Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are two great english players.

So good luck to them tomorrow I will be in the pub with Tris watching.

What the betting it's going to be a really boring game after the Roy Of The Rovers stuff of 2005?

Back