• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tom Hopper is back.

Good news to gradually get him match fit but to be honest I wouldn't put him in the first team until the manager situation is properly sorted. No point in rushing him in to games we're 99% certain to lose whether he plays or not.

I thought there were less injuries on 3/4G pitches?

Weren't most of our serious Knee injuries caused by catching studs in the turf?

Great news ... but will have no impact until the midfield is fixed

He may we’ll be someone that helps the midfield and help show that they aren’t actually bad players or the trot of the problem.

Most of our goals are conceded in transition and that’s largely due to the ball not staying in possession or in an area of the pitch long enough, no one of them have time to get their shape or re group.

It will also help our midfield to be creative if someone ahead of them is actually making some movement for them to play to rather than standing still waiting.

None of our current lot have to worry about turning too fast and leaving studs in the turf :Smile:

Being behind closed doors i wonder if the new manager will be there

Clubs generally refuse to allow their pros play or train on it. Ted Smith for example couldn’t play any 23s games last year that were held at Aveley.

The studs on the 4g are even more likely to get caught.....although it’s soft it’s very unforgiving on movement of the foot.

Clubs generally refuse to allow their pros play or train on it. Ted Smith for example couldn’t play any 23s games last year that were held at Aveley.

The studs on the 4g are even more likely to get caught.....although it’s soft it’s very unforgiving on movement of the foot.

In Teds case it was for his shoulder. We train at Eastwoodbury lane when the weather is bad

Moulded studs? Astrofturf boots?

Last edited:
In Teds case it was for his shoulder. We train at Eastwoodbury lane when the weather is bad

Moulded studs? Atrofturf boots?

Ted was just an example.....clubs are very very reticent of their players playing on Astro and it’s ankle, knees and backs that they are most protective of or most at risk of.

It’s like very very lush grass and when it’s dry it’s incredibly difficult to have any movement once the studs are in.

This is the best thing that's happened so far this season, beating Pompey calling our game off by a nose.

Ahem... ‘will make no difference if there’s no service to the forwards’...

There is service to the forwards. Our problem is that they're all too similar, and none of them are any good at holding the ball up. They're all the type of player that need to be playing off someone like Hopper.

Him alongside either Cox, Humphrys, Goodship or Kelman is (ideally) what we need.

I remember when Brett Angell was rushed back from a similar injury. If memory serves me correctly he returned around February time but didn't score/look remotely the same player until April.

I remember when Brett Angell was rushed back from a similar injury. If memory serves me correctly he returned around February time but didn't score/look remotely the same player until April.
I'm not sure Brett was ever the same player again after that injury (thigh muscle IIRC)

SOUTHEND United striker Tom Hopper is scheduled to make his return from a year long spell on the sidelines today, Echosport understands.

More...

Good news to gradually get him match fit but to be honest I wouldn't put him in the first team until the manager situation is properly sorted. No point in rushing him in to games we're 99% certain to lose whether he plays or not.
He may be coming back from months on the sidelines following what could have been a career threatening injury... but does he need that long?

Back