• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tom Hopper sold

I agree with the sentiment, but let’s not pretend that we’re different from anyone else. We’ve all got our own herbert’s at the end of the day.

I remember one game we had during the Brown era, we raced into a 2-0 lead, after about 15 minutes, which was a very rare treat. However, regardless of that, someone in the East (possibly Dagenham Kev, I’m not sure) started demanding that Brown “sort it out”. That will always live with me, as a stark reminder of how completely withdrawn from reality, some of our fans are - or at least, can be.

Whilst on the topic though, I will admit, that watching football abroad is always good, especially if you can’t speak the language fluently. Half the time I can’t tell if the fans shouting are, slating the team, encouraging them or simply reciting their shopping lists.

Although I do enjoy a long, drawn out, passive aggressive arm-roll, accompanied by an exasperated ¿POR QUÉ? from time-to-time.

This is how I envision @Tangled up in Blue, when he watches Espanyol. Well that, and the occasional ¡Olé!

Not too big on the ¡Ole! front but I'm quite happy to stand up and applaud when a goal or piece of good play deserves it.

Incidentally,the fans where my mate and I used to sit at Monjuic used to crack me up.Can't say the same for those at Cornellà ((our view is much better though).

According to Sol on Saturday, even if we don't sign anybody, he will carry on with what he has got , Problem is Sol you wont have anybody Ron is going to see to that.

He knows how to shaft managers and the fans alike.

I wouldn't disagree with you regarding the majority who attend games but there is a proportion of loud, gobby individuals who spoil other fans' enjoyment of games and can definitely be heard by players on the pitch. I was a regular spectator at Roots Hall from 1966 until I left Essex in 1984 and then did a 280-mile round trip every couple of weeks to take my kids to see matches at Roots Hall between 1989 and 1993 and there has almost always been a boo-boys contingent there, usually picking on their favourite scapegoats all the way from Gary Moore in the late 1960s through to the likes of Theo Robinson more recently. I have watched matches all round this country and can think of very few grounds where as many fans turn on their own players as individuals in this way, however badly their team is performing.

Yes, agree with that .. there's a few of those at the Hall. Not sure it's just at Southend that happens though. Off the top of my head I remember Stefan Payne making an 'obscene gesture' at Bristol Rovers fans after getting pelters from some loudmouths in the stand a few years ago. And the classic Cantona kung fu kick. I've often visualised one of our players losing it and diving studs first into the South Lower.

Quite- could instead have pointed to the fact we are 12th in the form table over the last 6 games with just one loss.

Even if, with those players left after the fire sale is over, we manage to maintain the heady form from the "form table" (acquired against teams in 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 23rd and 1st positions) we would finish with exactly 34 points - a fact scarcely worth pointing to.

Not so at Huddersfield though eh?

We've seen the Cowleys do an outstanding job at Concord, Braintree and Lincoln. Why do you feel the need to belittle their efforts for merely having made a steady start at Huddersfield ?

We've seen the Cowleys do an outstanding job at Concord, Braintree and Lincoln. Why do you feel the need to belittle their efforts for merely having made a steady start at Huddersfield ?

I'm not belittling them at all, trying to add a shot of reality. I obviously don't follow Huddersfield's progress or have any interest in The Championship so if they've made things better then good for them.

You're over thinking it! In an ideal world Hopper would be the one I'd like to keep but if he wants to go, he goes - and if it's £150k now or nil in the summer, it's £150k now. Also for Kelman to be worth anything like £0.5m would mean he needs to do 20 a season, probably for a couple of seasons, and be in a long contract. At this stage the lad has scored a couple of goals and doesn't have much else to his all round game. I'd wager that when he does leave - whether it's in 6 months or 6 years - it's on a free!

I'll happily take that wager

Yep I'm in on the wager.
Also if Kelman bangs in 20 a season for 2 seasons starting from now aged 18 he'll be worth a stack load more than half a mil.
Example - Kemar Roofe 18 in 40 for League 2 Oxford. Fee to Leeds United over 3million

Last edited:
Even if, with those players left after the fire sale is over, we manage to maintain the heady form from the "form table" (acquired against teams in 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 23rd and 1st positions) we would finish with exactly 34 points - a fact scarcely worth pointing to.

Well if you want to find the negative badly enough it certainly possible to find it..:-)

I'm with Riggers too. Kelman has got great potential and will undoubtedly go a lot higher.
10p ?
Bet that is.

Last edited:
I'm not belittling them at all, trying to add a shot of reality. I obviously don't follow Huddersfield's progress or have any interest in The Championship so if they've made things better then good for them.

You've kinda contradicted yourself there. On one hand stating you're trying to add a shot of reality, whilst simultaneously admitting you have no interest or idea what they've achieved.

In my opinion, they've done a phenomenal job wherever they've been. The fact they've steadied the ship at Udders in the 2nd tier of English football, having come from humble beginnings at Fitz/Concord, is very impressive.

Whilst there's the slightest possibility of staying up you do not sell your remaining best striker ....just days after releasing the only quality player in the squad.So reminiscent of the Barnard sale and the resulting relegation.
Sorry but this must solely be to bail out Ron's financial position and a third relegation purely down to him. Don't give me this cr*p about strengthening the squad now .Ron you can stick your Season ticket renewal invitation where it hurts...Any supporter still thinking he will lead us to the promised land must be short of brain.This really is the lowest point in over 50 years of following this club because we have been here before 10 years ago and he has allowed it to happen again.....football coming second in every decision
That my friend is spot on!

And Ron's pathetic recent interviews bul l s hitting us that improvements are on the way.....guess what Cox Hopper and Humps are dust......and they were our 3 bits of quality.....wowww takes some believing!

I actually thought Saturday's result with a couple of decent signings and Barratt back would pull us up the table.
So now i have just cancelled the transaction to buy the next home game ticket.......thanks Ron you big deceiving liar!
Totally with you on this

No guarantee Hopper will agree terms. He knows that we are desperate for cash and that at the end of season he will be a free agent. Suspect that he will be looking for a signing on fee from Lincoln and a share of the transfer fee from a Blues. As a free agent he will command a sizeable signing on fee in lieu of transfer fee paid so will be looking to squeeze both clubs as the days tick down. Other clubs might come in too. It's not as if Lincoln are that bigger draw and would necessarily be his first choice.

Yes, agree with that .. there's a few of those at the Hall. Not sure it's just at Southend that happens though. Off the top of my head I remember Stefan Payne making an 'obscene gesture' at Bristol Rovers fans after getting pelters from some loudmouths in the stand a few years ago. And the classic Cantona kung fu kick. I've often visualised one of our players losing it and diving studs first into the South Lower.
To refer to the Cantona kick in this particular discussion is classicly inept. He was playing for Manure at Selhurst Park and he jumped into a HOME section to try his luck against an abusive Palace bonehead.

Back