• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tom Hopper sold

He was the most saleable asset that we had - Ron said we were £150k down on budget and we get offered £150k. Tom goes back home to Lincolnshire and Ron plugs the black hole. Tom was never going to say I hated it here. Players only tell the press what we want to hear.

As Tom has now signed for Lincoln City, sadly it is time for this thread to move across to the Ex Shrimpers Forum. It's sad because had he not been injured last season we might not have been in the mess we are now in. Such is life I guess.

While I understand completely why he's been sold in the window ,without him our relegtion to L2 will come that little bit quicker.Starting with our defeat at Donny on Tuesday. :Cry:

How many did he score? No, thought not

You sound bitter mate. 10 goals in 30 games for us, pretty good, a similar goal scoring rate to Corr, for example.

He's one player I still had respect for and I can't understand why you feel the need for the snide comment :Sad:

You sound bitter mate. 10 goals in 30 games for us, pretty good, a similar goal scoring rate to Corr, for example.

He's one player I still had respect for and I can't understand why you feel the need for the snide comment :Sad:

He's not pulled up and trees since he came back from injury. Not shown the pre injury form. I know we had to sell him or lose him for free at the end of the season but that's because he doesn't want to lower himself and play in L2. Supported him thru his injury and thought he might stand by us

He's not pulled up and trees since he came back from injury. Not shown the pre injury form. I know we had to sell him or lose him for free at the end of the season but that's because he doesn't want to lower himself and play in L2. Supported him thru his injury and thought he might stand by us

As you say we needed the money, there's no evidence that he agitated for a move. I found your dig unneccasary, there's far more deserving targets IMO. Hopper's one player who as far as I know treated Southend with respect. :Sorry:

As you say we needed the money, there's no evidence that he agitated for a move. I found your dig unneccasary, there's far more deserving targets IMO. Hopper's one player who as far as know treated Southend with respect. :Sorry:

It was a dig at Lincoln more than Hopper. I hate the fact that the vultures are circling. I personally hope Hopper does nothing at Lincoln but then moves on elsewhere and does well. That'll teach Lincoln

It was a dig at Lincoln more than Hopper. I hate the fact that the vultures are circling. I personally hope Hopper does nothing at Lincoln but then moves on elsewhere and does well. That'll teach Lincoln
Strangely, I'm with you on this, always hated Lincoln.

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell insists he knew nothing about a relegation release clause in Tom Hopper's contact.

More...

So would you take a pay cut at your company or if an offer come to keep your salary and maybe better you would turn it down

Bear in mind there were days you had not been paid, and like all jobs you get sick pay or an Insurance against being injured

Not hard to do the maths I believe, there is no loyalty or hardly any in todays modern game only the supporters who turn up each week

So would you take a pay cut at your company or if an offer come to keep your salary and maybe better you would turn it down

Bear in mind there were days you had not been paid, and like all jobs you get sick pay or an Insurance against being injured

Not hard to do the maths I believe, there is no loyalty or hardly any in todays modern game only the supporters who turn up each week

And why should there be? They're just employees just like you and me.

Came on in 58th minute for Hesketh

From what I heard he knew nothing about Lincoln wanting to speak to him, was extremely happy here, and there was no such thing as a relegation clause. Would have loved him to stay, he really is a quality striker and I feel still recovering from his injury.
The whole issue stinks.

From what I heard he knew nothing about Lincoln wanting to speak to him, was extremely happy here, and there was no such thing as a relegation clause. Would have loved him to stay, he really is a quality striker and I feel still recovering from his injury.
The whole issue stinks.

Absolutely.

Appleton is not a manager who is likely to improve his career.

Class act TH but was a saleable asset.

The Barnard sale was equally damaging.

There definitely was a relegation clause I can confirm.
The fee received was £150,000, although a proportion of that is only payable if certain conditions are met (appearances etc)
The vast majority of the cash received was used to settle the contracts of both Kiernan and Cox.

Back