• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp Curry

Youth Team
I don't think its fair to judge a player to early but Tomlin is looking like the new Jamal Campbell Ryce, that fans favourite type of player who looks brilliant but ultimately produces little or nothing. Nine games into the season and apart from one penalty he has no goals and no assists.

people will always have divided opinions but facts speak for themselves, he has to start to deliver soon but its looking like there is a good reason that teams like Gillingham & Dagenham have allowed him to move on.

An interesting comparison. I haven't seen him yet but it's sounded like there a monkey on his back and he's trying to get goals and assists (whereas JCR was just preoccupied with repeatedly beating the same player).

I don't think its fair to judge a player to early but Tomlin is looking like the new Jamal Campbell Ryce, that fans favourite type of player who looks brilliant but ultimately produces little or nothing. Nine games into the season and apart from one penalty he has no goals and no assists.

people will always have divided opinions but facts speak for themselves, he has to start to deliver soon but its looking like there is a good reason that teams like Gillingham & Dagenham have allowed him to move on.

Totally agree. He looks like a decent player but I dont think there are many goals in him. Personally he could be a decent winger but I dont think he is the right man to play upfront for the season. I would have Freddy, Harris, Corr, Brit and even maybe Benyon over him.

Strikers will always be judged on goals , but it's not always that black and white.
From what I've seen , he has pace and good control and seems to compliment Assombalonga.
I hope he doesn't lose too much confidence because I still think he can be an asset playing wide if / when Freddy / Corr come back.
And , let's be honest , we don't have too many options right now..........................

Harsh to give him no assists. Didn't he get smacked in the face by the ball to set up Cresswell's goal against Daggers? :smile:

Reminds me of Barrington Belgrave........................... which is a concern, I'll be honest

Spoke to a Daggers fan and he said exactly the same, looks decent and then final product.....nothing.

Funny, he scored 0 goals in 23 apps for Dagenham at the start of last season, and their fans couldn't believe their luck when we took him.

Came to the Gills and scored for fun mainly played as a winger not an out and out striker. 6 in 9 games ain't too shabby and he seemed to tear a lot of oppo defences apart with his pace. But he was then injured.

Most of our fans wanted us to re-sign him for this season and were pretty annoyed when he signed for you guys while we had no manager. There were also suggestions that we (Hess in his caretakers role) didn't try to sign him due to his injuries.

I am sure he will come good for you. But I/we reckon he's best used as a winger, from where he attacks defences with the ball at his feet, cuts in and can certainly finish. Maybe its a confidence thing with him. The sooner he gets his first, the better he'll be.

He was played wide in a 4-3-3 for Gillingham and from what I've seen of him I'd suggest that that is his best position. I don't know if he's ever played wide in a 4-4-2 which is what we're playing this year. He'd need to do a lot more defending for us as a winger than he did for Gillingham.

I've not got to see him for us but what I would say is that pace up front will stretch the game and create chances for other players so even if his stats don't look great we would lose that by dropping him or moving him to the wing.

I think the lad has done/shown enough to be given longer before we all start fretting about his contribution/best position. He is getting into the positions and forced keepers into a few good saves so hopefully it will click. For me he draws players away and makes the space for others. No bad thing.

Been impressed with Tomlin so far, but agree he's not a goalscorer and would be best utilised on the wing. Can see he'd also fit in well as one of the 2 secondary strikers in a 4-3-3. If we're playing 4-4-2 would prefer to see him out wide with Freddy and Assombalonga up top.

The problem is the lack of goals from the midfield at the mo. His pace and movement is excellent and the midfielders should be making runs into the box and finishing but from what ive seen of Spicer and Timlin, be lucky to get 5 goals between them. Neither winger looks particularly much of a goal threat either.

Half his problem is he gets a sight of goals, picks a spot, but his aim is useless, straight and weak at the goalie or wide.
He'd be better off whacking the ball as hard as he can at the goal. It may go straight at the goalie, not a terrible thing as with pace it may rebound to Bonga or someone. It may fly into the corner of the net, or beat the goalie with the speed of it.
One thing for sure, he will score more goals using the blast it method.

Chases everything, never gives up, pace to burn. His chasing and harassing gives other opportunity to get into the game. Will be on the wing when all strikers are fit and will do damage there.

Back