• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tonght's Echo

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
Just had my Echo delivered and there must be a mistake because on the front it states "Southend Evening Echo" yet the sports' pages are full of West Ham's defeat. I must have been sent the Redridge Echo in error.

The 'paper beggars belief - imagine how much coverage they would have got if they had one. There must be as many Man U or Arsenal "fans" in the Southend area so why don't they get the same coverage?

Read the Southend Times - now that's a paper that supports Southend United!

This week's edition has the following news -

P2 editorial - Importance of the local football clubs - full of positive Southend United comment.

P3 Headline - "Blues pioneer initiative to crack down on anti social behaviour." Lots of input from a new Southend United consultant John Oates about the club's new initiative "Getting on with the Blues" and comments from Geoffrey King.

P4 - picture of Tilson, Kightly, Frankie and the manager of Victoria Plaza Shopping Centre over a headline - "New Partnership behind Health Kick for Schools" and then lots of comment about partnership between the Football in the Community scheme and the Victori Plaza sponsorship.

P4 - Southend Labour's election manifesto with the statement - "There is also commitment to help Southend United to re-locate to a new stadium - providing it is within planning guidelines and regulations."

In the Sports section, Blues News mentions all this week's news about Edwards and Constantine.

All in all a good read about positive Southend United news and all for only 30p. During the season, the Sports Supplement is full of Southend United and local non-league news and usually has a Shrimpers Trust column.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ May 31 2004,18:12)]Just had my Echo delivered and there must be a mistake because on the front it states "Southend Evening Echo" yet the sports' pages are full of West Ham's defeat. I must have been sent the Redridge Echo in error.

The 'paper beggars belief - imagine how much coverage they would have got if they had one. There must be as many Man U or Arsenal "fans" in the Southend area so why don't they get the same coverage?
Well what else are they supposed to do? There's not exactly pages of Southend news is there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ May 31 2004,18:12)]There must be as many Man U or Arsenal "fans" in the Southend area so why don't they get the same coverage?
IIRC a poll of football fans living in Southend returned a figure of around 40% who follow West Ham regularly so I guess the Evening Echo is simply providing for demand, much as it might annoy some.

WS

Now you understand why I kick W@nk-Ham when they are down after losing the Play-Off final.

I will love it if they f**k thing up next season like Man City did in 1998 & Sheffield Weds in 2003 while we gain promotion under Tilson the thought of Southend Vs W-Ham in 2006 slowly becoming a reality of the future, Bring it On!

Who thought Doncaster will play Sheffield Weds in same league. If Doncaster fans said both club will play in same league about 4 season ago, they will get laughed at ... that football 4 you.

If someone from the Evening Echo is lurking, maybe they'd like to give an explanation?

WS

I for one get really annoyed with chants like "You all support West Ham", I was supporting Palace at the weekend and loved every minute of watching the Wet Sham fans crying at the end.
If you buy Div1 players, you end up playing your football in Div1. Well done Alan Pardew, keep them where they belong.

Nomination for manager of the season - Without doubt Ian Dowie!!

Back