• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ozzie

Manager
Think im right in writing,tonight, now i was "PAKED" into Roots Hall..1979 waiting for kick off,with over 30000...yep 30000 fans for "the game"...v the best team in europe
The fans ,singing,swaying...sadly .it was a one off...but i was there...A NIGHT TO REMEMBER...

I went to Anfield the following week, great atmosphere, the Kop chanting Southend, Southend. We lost 0-3 but a brilliant night. Happy Days! COYBB

Yep, great memories.

I can still see Derrick Parker charging towards us in the South Bank .. Surely we couldn't go 1-0 up against Liverpool!!

Those were the days when teams took the FA Cup seriously .. I was saying earlier that Liverpool didn't feel the need to put their reserves out against us and it didn't stop them winning the league!

The North bank was not that full of scousers, it was a wednesday night...we gave them the north bank..it could well have been hard for liverpool fans to fill it..".scousers rent a car" would have been in demand

I can't imagine 30000 in the Hall. Nuts!

It certainly was cosy, I was on the South Bank that night.

The North bank was not that full of scousers, it was a wednesday night...we gave them the north bank..it could well have been hard for liverpool fans to fill it..".scousers rent a car" would have been in demand

Scousers don't rent cars as rule, they borrow them for a while.

It took me & a couple of others at work, a whole week, plus loads of O.T. to print the programmes, as the club wanted a 'one off' magazine type issue.
Usual print runs for League games varied from 2,500 -4,000 subject to who we were playing.
The club wanted 30,000 for this one.

It took me & a couple of others at work, a whole week, plus loads of O.T. to print the programmes, as the club wanted a 'one off' magazine type issue.
Usual print runs for League games varied from 2,500 -4,000 subject to who we were playing.
The club wanted 30,000 for this one.

That prog, with a moody Moody on front, was a top effort. A belated thank you, give yourself a pat on the head as reward

one of the lads sent me the dvd,thanks..but watching that..AGAIN..WOW..sorry the best times ever,..the fANS SING Southend united are magic..at the near the end ,our fans singing..EASY;EASY...v the best team in europe..when Dudley shot..in the first half, my arms still went in the air.(again today)..over 30,000...

I went to Anfield the following week, great atmosphere, the Kop chanting Southend, Southend. We lost 0-3 but a brilliant night. Happy Days! COYBB

I was also there, but a lot of fans would disagree about the 'brilliant night' when walking back to the coaches afterwards. Roaming gangs of 'Scallys' attacking as many as they could. P.O & the late 'Tricky Dicky' were just 2 of many who got robbed & a kicking, after being 'befriended' in the ground by some.

The noise, the floodlights, the snow, a two hour Q to get in, Motty on top of the West Stand, that Parker chance, Sarfend playing in blue white and red, the South Bank a solid mass of people to justify old Sid's building skills at long last, giving thanks for it snowing just as bad on the Brecon Beacons so my Geography field trip had been cancelled ..........

Someone should start a list to note the 'I was there club' - Ozzie started the thread so I volunteer him. Put me on it. I wonder if it will end up being one of those things where more claim to be there than actually were - a list of 30,000 +, that should cause Shrimperzone to crash. :unsure:

I was there also, standing front and centre on the South Bank watching that bog roll sail through the air and bouncing off Clements head :smile: Who remembers the scouser up the floodlight ****ed as a parrot singing Liverpool, Liverpool over and over. Anyone get a confirmed hit with what was chucked at him?

This time was the worst time of crowd trouble...but nothing..how many standing!!!pushing ,swaying...nothing..over 30,000..i still say ..bring back controlled standing...

Game was postponed from the previous Saturday due to snow. We had a heavy fall of it on the New years Eve, which resulted in our home game v Watford postponed on New Years Day, which would have had a 15,000 gate, as they were top of the table.
The club said they would leave the snow on the pitch until the day before the Liverpool game, as it would 'insulate' the pitch & keep it soft!!!!.
Surprise, surprise, on the Friday they postponed it due to a frozen pitch!. It also snowed on the re-arranged date.
Also the first replay at Anfield was cancelled, as that was due to be played on the Monday. Knew someone who got as far as Warrington, before they found out!.

This Video comes courtesy of Dazzaref - I suggest you search out random posts of his to like! :-)

[video=youtube;yDVSR19WXAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVSR19WXAY[/video]

I was also there, but a lot of fans would disagree about the 'brilliant night' when walking back to the coaches afterwards. Roaming gangs of 'Scallys' attacking as many as they could. P.O & the late 'Tricky Dicky' were just 2 of many who got robbed & a kicking, after being 'befriended' in the ground by some.

Yes, they did the dirty on them after talking them into walking across Stanley Park, didn't they T?
As for the home tie, 31,033 was the official attendance, but many more had bunked in over the wall at the West, and fathers would get their kids to crawl under the turnstiles in those days. The turnstile operator couldn't see them do it from his position.

Seem to remember a big gap in the north bank due to train from Liverpool being delayed/cancelled due to snow. Cant remember if it ever arrived or not.

Remember that night well, when we were outside ground some scousers wanted to buy our tickets for about 3x face value. I politely declined the offer as I was not going to miss this match for anything. At that time Liverpool had a team of legends. Never known of an atmosphere at RH like that night. Main memory of the match was Derek Parker clean through on goal only to fluff it !

Back