• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin said that when he was playing for Scunthorpe , I am sure that he played a couple of times here , in one programe he is named as Kevin Geegan .

For some reason I thought he was in the Liverpool team in 79. I new he said it but was confused when I watched the highlights posted on here and he wasn't in the team. My memory isn't that bad though, I new he said it somewhere.

This Video comes courtesy of Dazzaref - I suggest you search out random posts of his to like! :-)

[video=youtube;yDVSR19WXAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVSR19WXAY[/video]

Once again...thank you very much..DAZZAREF..for that dvd mate

Talking of anniversaries 52 years ago today, we again shipped four goals away from home, this time at QPR.

Happily we scored five for an unusual 5-4 away win.

Slim Jim Conway, who was just starting to come good after a slow start, got a couple with Woodley, Smith and an og completing the scoring. £5.5m lottery winner Terry Bradbury was in the line-up.
Fabulous game in the snow and ice as I recall. I was there at the White City btw!! Somewhat of comedy of errors in the tough conditions. More great memories of our beloved club. COYBB

Remember it well. The Shrimpers Trust produced a limited edition 30th Anniversary Print with the picture showing "Gerry Fell and Derrick Parker along with Terry McDermott, Phil Neal and Graham Souness from Liverpool." Great souvenir.

Kevin said that when he was playing for Scunthorpe , I am sure that he played a couple of times here , in one programe he is named as Kevin Geegan .
Kevin Keegan played against Southend 5 times while he was at Scunthorpe. In 1968-69 he played in both league matches winning 3-0 at Roots hall,then 4-1 in the last match of that season(This was the game when Southend had asked Scunthorpe to play at Arsenal's ground as the match had been already postponed twice(see match programme). This was also Scunthorpe's 5th. home match in a row, the attendance was 1,950. The following season Blues won 3-0(Billy Best hat-trick)in the first home league game of 1969-70.
Keegan played in the match as well as the return match in October which Scunny won by 2-0. The following season 1970-71 which was Keegan's last before he moved to Liverpool. Blues lost 3-0 at the Old Show Ground in our opening league match of that season Keegan played, but was injured for the return at Roots Hall in December 1970. He also appeared at Roots Hall as manager of Newcastle United in a 1-1 draw in January 1993. I have known Kevin Keegan for well over 30 years and last summer went to see him at his soccer school in Surrey. We went for lunch and Kevin was talking about the play-off final, as well as what is the position regarding the new ground(I tried not to laugh), he was saying how much he loved playing at Roots Hall way back in the day especially under the floodlights(bigger gates,great atmosphere) then he said to me "How is Billy Best keeping these days".(Billy would have been well chuffed).

I went to the game with my Dad.....queued until half time for the south bank even though we had tickets...I seem to remember one guy got so pi**ed off waiting he tried to scale the wall only to cut his hands to pieces on the glass at the top of the wall.......having missed the first half we ran home ....as couldn't get a cab .....to watch the game on midweek sports special..........got home late and missed the first half !
Finally got to see the highlights of first half on youtube a few years back ........brought back great memories

Remember it well. The Shrimpers Trust produced a limited edition 30th Anniversary Print with the picture showing "Gerry Fell and Derrick Parker along with Terry McDermott, Phil Neal and Graham Souness from Liverpool." Great souvenir.

A copy of which hangs proudly on our bedroom wall."When men were men" indeed.:thumbsup:

I was there :smile:...bloody cold, electric atmosphere....the South Bank was "bouncing"..one of the best games I have ever been to.

Question; In the introduction piece to MOTD, with John Motson sheepskin coat and covered in snow...was he on the TV gantry that night?

If it's this pic, below, that's a different match, I'm sure :-

He was on the gantry, erected on top of the roof of the West Bank. Can't find the footage, but I'm sure some exists.

_65381415_mmftbsnowmontage3.jpg

If it's this pic, below, that's a different match, I'm sure :-

He was on the gantry, erected on top of the roof of the West Bank. Can't find the footage, but I'm sure some exists.

_65381415_mmftbsnowmontage3.jpg

That picture was at Wycombe, 11 years later !

I managed to get right to the front of the West stand with my dad and grandad, literally where the family section is now, I can still recall my excitement to see the legendary Liverpool players close up, especially as a 9 year old kid. Incredible atmpsphere, and I also remember crying after the game as my dad refused to take me to the replay. :'(

I was there :smile:...bloody cold, electric atmosphere....the South Bank was "bouncing"..one of the best games I have ever been to.

Question; In the introduction piece to MOTD, with John Motson sheepskin coat and covered in snow...was he on the TV gantry that night?

Yes he was. That was Sportsnight, and there was footage of him on the TV gantry with the snow coming down at tea time before the game, as he was setting up, but I can't find it. I think they showed it later as part of a tribute to John Motson on MOTD years later.

Was there; and now grateful to the marvellous Dave Brabbing, who got me not only this prog - I couldn't find a seller at Loftus Road - but for the first game in September when QPR won 3-1. Memories as clear as a gin and tonic.

Talking of anniversaries 52 years ago today, we again shipped four goals away from home, this time at QPR.

Happily we scored five for an unusual 5-4 away win.

Slim Jim Conway, who was just starting to come good after a slow start, got a couple with Woodley, Smith and an og completing the scoring. £5.5m lottery winner Terry Bradbury was in the line-up.

Another magical cup-tie against QPR.
4th January 1975 at Roots Hall. 18,100 in attendance. We went 0-2 down to possibly the best QPR team of all time but the place was absolutely rocking when we pulled it back to 2-2. Scorers? Dave Cunningham rings a bell and possibly Dave Elliott??

Replay at Loftus Road was a fairly routine 2-0 defeat in front of 21,484.
The train journey home from London? A very interesting and barely belivable story. Oooeerr I was 12.

4th January 1975 at Roots Hall. 18,100 in attendance. We went 0-2 down to possibly the best QPR team of all time but the place was absolutely rocking when we pulled it back to 2-2. Scorers? Dave Cunningham rings a bell and possibly Dave Elliott??

The train journey home from London? A very interesting and barely belivable story. Oooeerr I was 12.

Yeah, pretty sure QPR were either top or second in the real Division One at the time with players like Stan Bowles and Gerry Francis, Phil Parkes, Dave Clement, Dave Thomas etc. Believe Don Givens scored their goals at RH and unless my memory is completely shot, they had Frank McLintock and maybe even Mr David Webb in their ranks at the time although can't remember if they actually played in that match.

Yeah, pretty sure QPR were either top or second in the real Division One at the time with players like Stan Bowles and Gerry Francis, Phil Parkes, Dave Clement, Dave Thomas etc. Believe Don Givens scored their goals at RH and unless my memory is completely shot, they had Frank McLintock and maybe even Mr David Webb in their ranks at the time although can't remember if they actually played in that match.

The home game though very exciting was the only one I've managed to get my wife to go to(so far!) I'm sure David Thomas scored both in the Loftus Road replay.

According to SUFC Database (cheating I know, but got me curious !) our scorers were Chris Guthrie and Stuart Brace.

Yes remember it well. I was in the east paddocks and allowed to stand on the stairs the led up to the seats just so I could see the game. They certainly had some great players at the time.

The question came up the other day...your three biggest crowds you have been in at RH I haven't checked but I went for Liverpool, West ham and QPR.

Back