• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The televised programme was Grandstand on the BBC with David Colman, here is a pic of John Motson commentating on the game sitting above the West Stand covered in a sheet to try to keep the snow of him, you can just make out part of the old South Bank.

sufcvliverpool.jpg

In this BBC item "When snowy weather and football collide" there is some actual footage taken at the Southend v Liverpool game at Roots Hall showing above pic at 01:00.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21082815

Yes remember it well. I was in the east paddocks and allowed to stand on the stairs the led up to the seats just so I could see the game. They certainly had some great players at the time.

The question came up the other day...your three biggest crowds you have been in at RH I haven't checked but I went for Liverpool, West ham and QPR.

Liverpool, QPR and Chelsea in 1972 24,000 fans in Roots Hall. I was 11 and good old dad took me in the Paddock.

Liverpool, QPR and Chelsea in 1972 24,000 fans in Roots Hall. I was 11 and good old dad took me in the Paddock.

The Liverpool game I was right in the middle of the swaying mob 2 thirds of the way up the South Bank. The QPR and Chelsea games I was in right in the middle of the swaying North Bank. Great memories. Great opposing teams and great performances from Southend.

Just a last word from me regarding this night, with the advent of modern day stadia the oportunity to stand in a swaying mass, like the South was that night, will never be replicated again by myself. If the guy next to you moved ..you did...it was like starlings roosting.

In fact,i think the replay is now,15,jan,79
The Transit van got bricked,they tried to run me over with a car..i was now in the the ground thinking, how the MUCK am i getting out this one..
I wore a "donkey jacket" at the game,down south,it was in....in Liverpool,at lot still wore "parkers"....i thought.. wtf..still dont know if the "parkers" they were wearing was old fashion(it was down south), or it was coming back in!!Still waiting...

Must say ive been worried at many a Blues game,life &limb!! but the most ive ever been worried was ,today Liverpool away(79) and Budapest ..Hungary v England (81)...neither city could speak English,but at least Budapest had buildings you could live in

In fact,i think the replay is now,15,jan,79
The Transit van got bricked,they tried to run me over with a car..i was now in the the ground thinking, how the MUCK am i getting out this one..
I wore a "donkey jacket" at the game,down south,it was in....in Liverpool,at lot still wore "parkers"....i thought.. wtf..still dont know if the "parkers" they were wearing was old fashion(it was down south), or it was coming back in!!Still waiting...

Was that Robbie W's Transit van? Orange or Yellow one.

The televised programme was Grandstand on the BBC with David Colman, here is a pic of John Motson commentating on the game sitting above the West Stand covered in a sheet to try to keep the snow of him, you can just make out part of the old South Bank.

sufcvliverpool.jpg

In this BBC item "When snowy weather and football collide" there is some actual footage taken at the Southend v Liverpool game at Roots Hall showing above pic at 01:00.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21082815

The programme was Sportsnight introduced by Harry Carpenter.

Back