• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tonights Echo

ESG

Manager
Steve Wignall is claiming 25K from us following his sacking.
Uncle Ron has issued a counter claim of 50K against Wignall for making 3 bad signings. The players being Emberson,Fullarton and Husbands !

rock.gif

It might be an old story, but one which does not show the club in a good light, especially to the occassional supporter - the ones we need to attract on a more regular basis to get the cash coming in.
Club looks bad in Echo, Club has row with Echo, bans Echo from club (we've seen it before), occasional fans dont know what happenning as Echo stops reporting...???
memo to RM+GK.. Talk to Wignall, sort out a pay-off and stop all this court-case bollox. The only winners will be the lawyers and the club will come out of it looking bad...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ June 30 2004,22:48)]It might be an old story, but one which does not show the club in a good light, especially to the occassional supporter - the ones we need to attract on a more regular basis to get the cash coming in.
Club looks bad in Echo, Club has row with Echo, bans Echo from club (we've seen it before), occasional fans dont know what happenning as Echo stops reporting...???
memo to RM+GK.. Talk to Wignall, sort out a pay-off and stop all this court-case bollox. The only winners will be the lawyers and the club will come out of it looking bad...
Bernie Friend has often been accused of hidden agendas, etc but his article in the Echo tonight is spot on.

Lets make sure I've got this right. Southend United want to sue Wignall for making poor appointments.

Probably the poorest single appointment for some while was ... err Wignall.

Who appointed Wignall? Why aren't the club chasing this person through the courts?

This is opening the club up to ridicule and I would have thought the club would have received better advice from the lawyer on the Board.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 30 2004,23:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ June 30 2004,22:48)]It might be an old story, but one which does not show the club in a good light, especially to the occassional supporter - the ones we need to attract on a more regular basis to get the cash coming in.
Bernie Friend has often been accused of hidden agendas, etc but his article in the Echo tonight is spot on.

Lets make sure I've got this right. Southend United want to sue Wignall for making poor appointments.

Probably the poorest single appointment for some while was ... err  Wignall.

Who appointed Wignall? Why aren't the club chasing this person through the courts?

This is opening the club up to ridicule and I would have thought the club would have received better advice from the lawyer on the Board.
No.

Wignall wants to sue Southend - not vice versa. Their counter claim is, IMHO, a tactic to try and negate his initial claim.

I have to say that I am not actually convinced of the merits of SUFC's counter claim but nonetheless it shows that the club will not roll over and let him take the action without a fight.

I am not a litigant but I think this is a relatively standard situation and tactic. I predict an out of court settlement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 30 2004,23:46)]
[b said:
[b said:

No.

Wignall wants to sue Southend - not vice versa.  Their counter claim is, IMHO, a tactic to try and negate his initial claim.

I have to say that I am not actually convinced of the merits of SUFC's counter claim but nonetheless it shows that the club will not roll over and let him take the action without a fight.

I am not a litigant but I think this is a relatively standard situation and tactic.  I predict an out of court settlement.
Hmmm?

Casting my mind back to before Wignall, Rob Newman was our manager and he left us in a reasonably healthy position when he was shown the door! Knee Jerk reaction to not getting promotion I suspect!?!

Wignall comes in and promptly gets rid of the majority of the side that left us in the healthy position we had been in and by the end of October/early November we have 15 points from 18 games.

Hardly the credentials of a good manager? But hardly an ideal decision by the club to let him loose on our squad in the first place!!!

Yet, he has a point in that he was contracted to be the manager & that contract is a legally binding document. Since the club didn't give him the opportunity to rectify the clubs position at this time, it is impossible to know whether he would have turned things around [a risk the club could not afford to take? maybe!!!] and his claim for the balance of the contract could hold water.

I suspect an amicable agreement is the best option too. It'll be less messy and will avoid bad publicity.

Let's move on, shall we!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 30 2004,23:46)]
[b said:
[b said:

No.

Wignall wants to sue Southend - not vice versa.  Their counter claim is, IMHO, a tactic to try and negate his initial claim.

I am not a litigant but I think this is a relatively standard situation and tactic.  I predict an out of court settlement.
Matt where are you ?

If Wignall can claim that injuries and not meeting expectations is part of the norm of football rather than negligent managerial foresight, then he could couter sue the negligent charge under a defamation of character (or is it liable~we've discussed this before) ?
How much does Matt charge for advice?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ July 01 2004,09:48)]If Wignall can claim that injuries and not meeting expectations is part of the norm of football rather than negligent managerial foresight, then he could couter sue the negligent charge under a defamation of character (or is it liable~we've discussed this before) ?
How much does Matt charge for advice?
Defamation of character covers both Libel and Slander. Libel being written and slander being spoken.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 01 2004,09:56)]Defamation of character covers both Libel and Slander. Libel being written and slander being spoken.
Reminds me of a story told by an ex-pro saying to the ref: "can I be booked for what I think"? "No, of course not", the ref replies."I think you're a **** then"

Back