• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
For all fans of a certain age it was great to see our former player Tony Bentley at Roots Hall yesterday. Now 76 Tony was playing when I first stated going to Roots Hall in the early sixties. He signed for Blues in May 1961 from Stoke City and went on to play over 400 league & cup matches before joining Folkestone in 1971. He was awarded 2 testimonials both against Stoke City, the first one sadly was when Southend were relegated to the 4th.Division in the 1965-66 season, however the other came at the end of our ever first promotion back in 1971-72, this was attended by over 10,000 fans. Tony has lived in Nova Scotia for many years, but whenever he comes back home to Southend he will always be seen at Roots Hall taking in a match.

Lovely man Tony, spoke to him often, always had time for you. Signed as a winger and later converted to full back. Great servant of our beloved Club. Ran a kiosk on seafront for several years. Nice memories, good to know he is well and about.

Good to know he's still around. I think the last time I saw him play was in an away game at the old Darlington Feethams ground when he played in midfield.

Good to know he's still around. I think the last time I saw him play was in an away game at the old Darlington Feethams ground when he played in midfield.
Tony's last game for the club was at Roots Hall against Lincoln City 1-1 with a goal from Billy Best in May 1971, however his final away match was indeed at Darlington in a 4-0 win in April 1971 with a brace of goals from both Terry Johnson & Bill Garner. In his final season at the club Tony made 31+1 appearances in league & cup. A very versatile player, in that season he appeared in five different positions.

Tony's last game for the club was at Roots Hall against Lincoln City 1-1 with a goal from Billy Best in May 1971, however his final away match was indeed at Darlington in a 4-0 win in April 1971 with a brace of goals from both Terry Johnson & Bill Garner. In his final season at the club Tony made 31+1 appearances in league & cup. A very versatile player, in that season he appeared in five different positions.

That Lincoln game was the only home game that I missed that night , I went up to White Hart Lane to see Arsenal beat Spurs 1-0 to win the title .

A great player - terrific shot as well so scored some great goals from outside the penalty area. He was a really solid full back - remember how he kept Don Rogers quiet in our great cup win v Swindon in 1969. A good captain as well.

A great player - terrific shot as well so scored some great goals from outside the penalty area. He was a really solid full back - remember how he kept Don Rogers quiet in our great cup win v Swindon in 1969. A good captain as well.

I spoke to him a few years back in the Shrimpers - no-one else knew who he was which was sad. However he said Rogers was the best player he'd played against.

Great to read that a true Blues legend is fit and well,after reading sadly about Phil.Chis & A.M....would loved to have spoken to him.
What has Tony been doing in Nova Scotia??

Back