• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
Attendances on an August Tuesday evening included:
1,073 at Stanley
1,395 at Morecambe
1,567 at Daggers
2,381 for a League 1 fixture at Spotland
Under 3,000 at Bury in League 1
Just 6,500 at Peterborough against the biggest team in the division - Sheff Ud
And of course the paltry 2,917 at Col U is to be expected.
Even Plymouth only just hit 6,000 with 169 away fans from Cumbria.

Attendances in the lower reaches are dreadful in August.

To be honest I was quite surprised we went over the 6k mark on saturday - all things considered thats a very good turnout for holiday season - not quite sure how many we will get for this weekends game (depends on tonights result I guess) I would assume swindon will bring a fair few 500 + ??
Also V weekend allthough I doubt that will have a massive impact.

Only expect about 300 at most to travel to Doncaster tonight also so I wouldn't of thought the gate will even be 7,000 tonight:blush:

Tuesday matches usually produce lower attendances. There is usually a match at home either on the Saturday before the game or the one soon after. Many people cannot afford to go to two games in a few days. Also some fans can't always get to evening games due to work commitments. Away fans are also smaller in numbers at midweek matches. If you add all this together it is probably the reason for lower gates.

In all fairness the fixtures did some teams no favours. Wycombe at Morecombe, Carlisle at Plymouth, Exeter at Daggers, Gillingham at Bradford, Oldham at Colchester to name a few. Often thought they should try and regionalise mid week fixtures where possible.

Just out of interest, where can u go to see attendances listed other than a newspaper these days. I used to rely on good old teletext but that isn't available now. Im always interested in crowd figures etc

In all fairness the fixtures did some teams no favours. Wycombe at Morecombe, Carlisle at Plymouth, Exeter at Daggers, Gillingham at Bradford, Oldham at Colchester to name a few. Often thought they should try and regionalise mid week fixtures where possible.

What? Do you mean...consider the fans? I recall a few years back we had Carlisle at home on a Tuesday and Orient at home on a Saturday. Wouldn't it make sense to do them the other way round?

To be fair I hear SkyBet were paying the Carlisle fans' coach fares and tickets. Bit of a pain for those that went by train, though!

To be fair I hear SkyBet were paying the Carlisle fans' coach fares and tickets. Bit of a pain for those that went by train, though!

Our very own Slipperduke (Iain Macintosh) made the journey with the Carlisle fans to do a piece for ESPN. He was tweeting a lot about it yesterday, so SkyBet saw the opportunity for some good PR by paying for the trip for everyone who was on his coach.

Some other bright sparks then tweeted SkyBet saying they were making their own way down in a minibus, so SkyBet stumped up for them too.

Good PR for SkyBet, nice for the fans, all good. Although the 4-1 defeat probably hurt a little.

I read somewhere that the Football League have deliberately attempted to put local matches on a Saturday this year. I for one applaud this. Nothing more soul destroying than finding you have a plum away fixture on a Tuesday. I'd say you'll gain more from having the big games on the weekends than lose by making the long treks on a Tuesday. Yes, the fans who go everywhere will have to take a couple of days off work but the bigger picture does make sense.

Plus teams won't often have pay out for an overnight stay if it's a midweek game.

I'm sure swindon will bring around 600-1000 Saturday.

And i am confident that there will be another 6k+ in attendance and maybe even 7k+ if we get a positive result tonight.

Well we had 5,700 of our fans on sat, so something similar and adding 600+ from the robins, it should push 6,500.
Having said that, getting a pasting tonight might lower numbers!

Well we had 5,700 of our fans on sat, so something similar and adding 600+ from the robins, it should push 6,500.
Having said that, getting a pasting tonight might lower numbers!
we won't get thumped tonight, no way, I'm going for a 3-2 loss:unsure:

Another thing is that the League cricket season depresses the numbers for the first few Saturdays, I certainly used to miss the first few Saturday games, which is why I wasn't a ST holder until recently when I retired from playing.

For instance my sons, and least four or five of their mates, weren't at last Saturday's game and won't be at this week's as their team is involved in a relegation scrap and they don't want to walk away from 18 weeks of effort and abandon their team-mates at the death.

I noticed the 3,000 at Bury ........... not a good figure at all. I feel for them (well, only a little).

Accers, Morecambe and Daggers have never had large fan bases - it is quite an achievement for them to keep going season after season - I applaud that more than the achievements of Chelsea or Man City say.

It's a different set of skills and environment but you would think that more fans would have admiration for such smaller clubs rather than coming out with derogatory comments such as "tin-pot".

Only expect about 300 at most to travel to Doncaster tonight also so I wouldn't of thought the gate will even be 7,000 tonight:blush:
Doncasters first home crowd of the season was 6400 v Bury and that included over 1,100 away fans.
This being a Tuesday and us taking no more than 300 the crowd might just be over 5,000. That could well be their lowest league crowd for quite a few seasons.

I was impressed with our attendance . Reckon we will see 7,000+ attendances a lot this year, unless we are awful.

Back