• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Squatting set to become a criminal offence
Housing minister Grant Shapps said: "For too long, hardworking people have faced long legal battles to get their homes back from squatters, and repair bills reaching into the thousands when they finally leave.

"No longer will there be so-called squatters' rights. Instead, from next week, we're tipping the scales of justice back in favour of the homeowner and making the law crystal clear: entering a property with the intention of squatting will be a criminal offence."

Mr Shapps later tweeted: "Squatting has been illegal in Scotland since 1865. From tomorrow it will be a criminal offence in England too."

Good work Grant. Well done.

So a £5000 fine for a homeless person. That's a lot of begging.

I did find that a bit odd, but if police are now able to sling people onto the street who have no right to be there I think that's a good thing. Personally I would allow them the powers to do the same for tenants who don't pay their rent and have either outstayed their notice or received a possession order, but sadly the councils are ill equipped to house them.

On TV this morning one squatter was going on about banks were evil he wasnt.

What on earth is the connection?

Some banks did some things he doesnt like so he can do what he wants at the expense of others ?

Thankfully they now lose.

Squatting wouldn't be a problem if people weren't priced out of housing. 750,000 empty properties in this country and everyone going on about a housing shortage

Squatting wouldn't be a problem if people weren't priced out of housing. 750,000 empty properties in this country and everyone going on about a housing shortage

Funny how the rest of us can own or rent our houses though isnt it.

I find Ferraris are too expensive for me, I dont feel I have the right to steal one though.

You sir are a hippy!

That post was a bit tongue in cheek, however that amount of empty homes is mental. We're lucky to be home owners in our 20s, where it used to be the norm, now it's the exception. Renting is also expensive (and the laws aren't on the side of landlords) and so people are stuck, even if earning well or saving pretty well. Rich people with multiple empty homes drive down supply and for the very poor squatting is an option

Urgh, what's that smell of patchouli oil? It's Pubey........

He's right though........!

I earn just over a grand a month after tax, I've been looking to move out of my mum's house. But with most landlords wanting a deposit and a month's rent on top, it's not possible, after paying out car insurance, rent at home atm, petrol, food. Moving or renting a place is just to costly these days

I earn just over a grand a month after tax, I've been looking to move out of my mum's house. But with most landlords wanting a deposit and a month's rent on top, it's not possible, after paying out car insurance, rent at home atm, petrol, food. Moving or renting a place is just to costly these days

Sounds like you cant afford a 50" smart TV either, might as well go pinch one then.

I know someone who has separated from his wife and after giving her money he has about the same as you and rents a half decent flat. Money is tight but he copes.

Boy sounds like I need to start subscribing to the Daily Mail!

So would you consider squatting then?

No I wouldn't consider squatting, the point I was trying to make is, the cost of living is out doing what most young people are earning

No I wouldn't consider squatting, the point I was trying to make is, the cost of living is out doing what most young people are earning

This the same young people who are driving around in cars worth £5000 or more ?

When we were 17 or 18 you bought a car that was less than a months salary, now kids seem to have cars worth more than mine, then pay £2000 a year insurance.

Christ Im Victor Mildrew.

When we were 17 or 18 you bought a car that was less than a months salary, now kids seem to have cars worth more than mine, then pay £2000 a year insurance.

You aint wrong mate. Its seems a given these days that youngsters must have a decent car. If they sat down and worked out the cost they could probably travel cheaper in taxis.

It's not a new thing - when I started out at 16 (not *that* long ago, 1997) I was earning £400 a month take home, full time. My rent for my bedsit was £200...

Yep, someone Hils worked with was saying for our first car we should spend 4k, **** right off 700/800 tops.

Back