• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Putting football to one side, what were your sporting highlights of the year? They can be events you were at, or just ones you saw on the box. My top three:

1) Phil Taylor vs Raymond van Barneveld, final of the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championships. Taylor takes a 3-0 lead, Barney pegs him back and then wins the final set on sudden death. One of the greatest darts matches ever.

2) Christine Ohurougu winning the 400m at the World Athletics Championships in Osaka. I know that for many people there will always be an asterisk against any of her achievements - not to mention the fact that Sanya Richards was absent - but I haven't screamed so loudly at the tv for years. A brilliant performance and hats off to Nicola Sanders for a well deserved silver too.

3) Rugby League Challenge Cup Final. St Helens swept Catalans aside in what was a pretty average game to be honest, but it was great being at Wembley as rugby league returned to north west London. It was a near capacity crowd and a scorching hot day - perfect. Ade Gardner's late try also won me a fair few quid, which always helps ;)

lewis hamilton in japan... unbelievable driving skill in unbelievable conditions

Dimi Mascarenus hitting five 6's in the same over at the Oval....very special especially as I was there...

This has to rank up there, College Football is never going to be up there amongst watched sports over here but for an American Football game to almost turn into rugby in the last minute is pretty amazing to watch!

How to make up a 2 point gap with 2 seconds left

Last edited:
Surely trumped by Yuvraj's 6 sixes off Stuart "Chris" Broad?

Its never quite the same when you arent there. Having been in the crowd for the 5 sixes it was something else. You cant capture that atmosphere just watching it on the tv although I do appreciate both were very special indeed.

So Dimi gets my vote simply cos I was there to really savour that moment..:D

The Colorado Rockies, with two and a half weeks to go in the season it looked like they were too far back to make the playoffs, only to go on and win 14 of their last 15 games, which only earned them a chance to play the San Diego Padres in a play-in game to decide who earned the final play-off spot. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this game and it was phenomenal. The game was forced into extra innings and in the top of the 13th Rockies pitcher Jorge Julio gave up a two run home run to break the 6-6 tie. With the Rockies postseason dreams all but over, they managed to get three runs in the bottom of the 13th against one of the best pitchers in baseball. That game and League 2 playoff final are by far the top two sporting events I have ever attended.

The Colorado Rockies, with two and a half weeks to go in the season it looked like they were too far back to make the playoffs, only to go on and win 14 of their last 15 games, which only earned them a chance to play the San Diego Padres in a play-in game to decide who earned the final play-off spot. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this game and it was phenomenal. The game was forced into extra innings and in the top of the 13th Rockies pitcher Jorge Julio gave up a two run home run to break the 6-6 tie. With the Rockies postseason dreams all but over, they managed to get three runs in the bottom of the 13th against one of the best pitchers in baseball. That game and League 2 playoff final are by far the top two sporting events I have ever attended.

I think I was in Vegas for this and, with the North American obsession for decorating every public place with tvs, managed to catch some of it. Baseball still confuses me though so I couldn't really get in to it.

My top three would probably be

3. England v Australia - Repeat of the final from four years ago and every bit as dramatic. After England limped through the group stages, could never have expected this. Not pretty rugby but incredible braveness and determination from England.

2. Federer v Nadal (Wimbledon) - credit to Nadal as he really upped his game for this on a surface that doesn't suit him. Federer looked in control but Nadal broke him twice in the the fourth to level it and Federer was rattled. Somehow, Federer saved 4 break points early in the fifth wis astonishing composure and Nadal's spirit was broken

1. The FA Cup Final - only joking though

1. The Open - Amazing stuff from Harrington. Garcia was absolutely in control and even with his penultimate shot looked set to roll it in. In fact, even after he hit the final hole putt, it looked in before sliding slightly and lipping out. Like cricket, when golf is exciting, it's so much more drawn out excitement than any other sport.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have any footballing event in ahead of these anyhow!

2. Federer v Nadal (Wimbledon) - credit to Nadal as he really upped his game for this on a surface that doesn't suit him. Federer looked in control but Nadal broke him twice in the the fourth to level it and Federer was rattled. Somehow, Federer saved 4 break points early in the fifth wis astonishing composure and Nadal's spirit was broken

That's a good shout. I'm hoping the rivalry between those two - with Djokovic, Murray and Gasquet poking their oars in as well - really thrives over the coming years.

I've just got home to hear that the Taylor vs Mardle darts quarter-final was rather good. Glad I was on an effing train back from Donny rather than in front of the tv watching that. Ahem.

This has to rank up there, College Football is never going to be up there amongst watched sports over here but for an American Football game to almost turn into rugby in the last minute is pretty amazing to watch!

How to make up a 2 point gap with 2 seconds left

whoah, that is officially the longest passage of play I have ever seen in Gridiron! Didn't even realise that sort of passing was even legal.

Putting football to one side, what were your sporting highlights of the year? They can be events you were at, or just ones you saw on the box. My top three:

1) Phil Taylor vs Raymond van Barneveld, final of the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championships. Taylor takes a 3-0 lead, Barney pegs him back and then wins the final set on sudden death. One of the greatest darts matches ever.

Cant argue with that one. Was a great match between two of the sports great players. Also, though the BDO version is a bit gay, the final last year was not far off in terms of excitment.....hot favourate Adams took a 6-0 lead against unknown Nixon, who then reeled of 6 sets on the bounce, before Adams took the last one to win 7-6. The Taylor / Barney match was more exciting after Barney's initial come back they were trading sets and legs, but to come back from 6-0 was remarkable....and made me very late for a date!!

Would have to add us beating the Frogs in the semi final of the World Cup in their own back yard.....not a great game but very tense.

However the lack of suitable candidates for this accolade, on the back of lack of contenders for Sports Personanality of the Year lead me to conclude 2007 was a rubbish year for British sport.

Last edited:
Back