• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
Had a discussion following the Sports Personality of the Year Awards on Sunday night, and came up with this list of the top ten (still living) sportsmen or women. Just one individual per sport allowed. They should be judged on the impact they made in their own chosen sport, and the wider impact across all sports.

1. Muhammad Ali, Boxing
2. Lance Armstrong, Cycling
3. Pele, Football
4. Jack Nicklaus, Golf
5. Michael Johnson, Athletics
6. Martina Navratilova, Tennis
7. Steve Redgrave, Rowing
8. Lester Piggott, Horse Racing
9. Nadia Comaneci, Gymnastics
10. Shane Warne, Cricket

What are your views. One caveat, no Southend United player, current or past can appear in the list.

There are far greater cyclists (both lvinig & dead) than Lance Armstrong.
If they have to be still alive, then take Eddy Merkcx for example. A man who would race 100% from March until October unlike "3 weeks in July" boy!!!

I don't remember Merckx coming back from cancer and then winning the Tour? Or getting shacked up with that singer bird.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 15 2005,10:26)]I don't remember Merckx coming back from cancer and then winning the Tour? Or getting shacked up with that singer bird.
Yeah but look at the 1999 evidence that the French media have unearthed about Armstrong's alleged EPO usage. IF the current tests had been in place then, he'd have been found out. Oh & Sheryl Crow's a bit of a minger!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Dec. 15 2005,10:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 15 2005,10:26)]I don't remember Merckx coming back from cancer and then winning the Tour? Or getting shacked up with that singer bird.
Yeah but look at the 1999 evidence that the French media have unearthed about Armstrong's alleged EPO usage.  IF the current tests had been in place then, he'd have been found out.  Oh & Sheryl Crow's a bit of a minger!
The French media have always been on Armstrong's back anyway.

And Sheryl- well, I would.

smile.gif

Another but different 10 to think of.

1. Garry Sobers - Cricket
2. Bobby Charlton - Football
3. Sugar Ray Leonard - Boxing
4. Rod Laver - Tennis
5. Arnold Palmer - Golf
6. Mark Spitz - Swimming
7. Sebastian Coe - Athletics
8. Olga Korbut - Gymnastics
9. Michael Schumacher - F1
10. Matthew Pinsent - Rowing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Dec. 15 2005,10:29)]
[b said:
Yeah but look at the 1999 evidence that the French media have unearthed about Armstrong's alleged EPO usage.  IF the current tests had been in place then, he'd have been found out.  Oh & Sheryl Crow's a bit of a minger!
Those tests may not be reliable as the French would like us all to think. They've had a vendetta against Lance for years, mostly due to resenting the fact that they've not had a genuine contender for the Tour in ages.

But what I'm guessing you were getting at in your previous post Richard was that Merckx was much more of an all-rounder than Lance. He won the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta A España, plus loads of the one-day classic races.

Armstrong focuses almost exclusively on the Tour de France.

So, despite coming back from cancer (and for that, he's my all-time sporting hero), I'd have to say that Lance doesn't quite match up to 'The Cannibal'.

I'd have a go on Sheryl Crow mind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Dec. 15 2005,09:37)]Armstrong focuses almost exclusively on the Tour de France.

he's my all-time sporting hero

I'd have a go on Sheryl Crow mind.
Yes, Armstrong did focus almost entirely on Le Tour, but that's after he came back from the cancer that the tour became, in his own words 'an obsession.'

As a young rider in the early 90's he was the world champion.

Agreed.

Yea, I would as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Dec. 15 2005,13:10)]Yes, Armstrong did focus almost entirely on Le Tour, but that's after he came back from the cancer that the tour became, in his own words 'an obsession.'

As a young rider in the early 90's he was the world champion.

Agreed.

Yea, I would as well.
Don't get me wrong. Lance Armstrong is one of the all-time sporting legends and as I said above, a hero of mine.

But if I had to pick the greatest cyclist ever, Merckx would pip him to the post.

On the subject of cycling, I alwys felt that Chris Boardman never got the credit he deserved. Undoubtedly one of the greatest British sportsmen of the 1990s.

Sheryl's going to be a busy girl at this rate!

Big Mig over Armstrong any day

Daley Thompson
Bjorn Borg
Mark Spitz
Jack Nichlaus
Giancomo Agostini (Once Rossi starts winning more than one race a day!!)
Nikki Lauda
Haile Gabreselasie
Pele
Ali
Eric Bristow

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Dec. 15 2005,12:58)]I would have had Mark Loram in there somewhere
But do you not think Loramski could have not made more of himself? He's one of the most exciting speedway riders that England has produced in the past 25 years but isn't in the class of someone like Tony Rickardsson (or even Tomasz Gollob) is he?

Pele
Muhammed Ali
Jack Nichalus
Steve Redgrave
Michael Schumacher
Eric Bristow
Bjorn Borg
Steve Davies
Lestor Piggott
Eddie The Eagle

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Dec. 15 2005,13:10)]As a young rider in the early 90's he was the world champion.
The 93 Worlds were on a fairly easy boring course in Oslo & Armstrong only won through following other riders wheels & by using his sprint. A case of right place at the right time!

His arrogance whilst in the famous rainbow jersey probably formed a lot of journalists opinion of him and so is why he's been fighting a PR battle for the past 8 years.

Suprised no one's mentioned Ayrton Senna. He was a legend in an F1 car.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Dec. 15 2005,13:44)]Suprised no one's mentioned Ayrton Senna. He was a legend in an F1 car.
Not wanting to be a smart arse but the thread is for living sportsmen.

Back