• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Torquay United 1-0 Southend United

Eddie Howe wouldn’t be a bad choice
I really dont think we could afford him. We would have to pay off PBs contract to begin with so i would think it more plausible to install the assistant manager in a caretaker role ,its been said he is well liked by the players.

I thought Walsh was one of the only positives to come out of the game Tuesday night and he’s not even on the bench this week?!

Brown has now publicly outed Dennis and Kargbo - both youngsters on loan from bigger clubs. I can’t imagine they’ll be jumping at the chance to loan us more players in the future if this is how we treat them.

Sorry but the man has lost it. As someone said on another thread, just like the doom days before he was fired last time. There are posts on this board which indicate what is going on between PB and the players. They refer to his tactics, training methods and treatment of the likes of Walsh and Phillips, never mind Sim and ANG. I hope Ron realises how serious is this steep decline and even now is calling a Board meeting with a view to replacing PB. If he thinks PB can turn it round then he is very much mistaken. The trap door to Conference South is gaping open Ron. For heaven's sake act now!

Aye, this is one dinosaur that couldn't get a part in Jurassic Park. Poor selection, poor tactics and yes, whilst the root cause lays with RM - this is PB's particular $hit show that I can't see him resolving, especially with his penchant for chucking players publicly under the bus. Speaking of which, "all change !".

Why dont you Phil Brown Haters give it a rest we are sick to death of your whinging any manager at this football club is going to struggle with the lack of investment over the last 3 seasons going into the playing staff by the man who is to blame for the decline of OUR club RON MARTIN no one else definitely not Phil Brown.
Do you really thing Brown would be signing non league players if he had a decent budget.
NO course he would not its going to take time to turn this club around and i for one am grateful we have Brown, right man for the job in my eyes.

Why dont you Phil Brown Haters give it a rest we are sick to death of your whinging any manager at this football club is going to struggle with the lack of investment over the last 3 seasons going into the playing staff by the man who is to blame for the decline of OUR club RON MARTIN no one else definitely not Phil Brown.
Do you really thing Brown would be signing non league players if he had a decent budget.
NO course he would not its going to take time to turn this club around and i for one am grateful we have Brown, right man for the job in my eyes.
Nice of you to pop by Phil. :Look::Winking:

Out of interest does anyone know what was said between the fans/players when they went over to speak to the fans at the end?
I spoke with Will Atkinson and from what I could hear of other comments there was certainly no lambasting of the players. Obviously a lot of frustration being expressed but not in an aggressive or offensive manor.

I do not believe for a second the players yesterday aren’t good enough or didn’t run themselves into the ground yesterday. I simply said to Will Atkinson that they had been let down and set up to fail yesterday by one man and one man alone. We never went to win that game, simply looking to stop the rot and thus the game was only going one way and it’s painful.

And while the players bravely fronted up, Brown disappeared down the tunnel. Coward.

Abysmal just abysmal. Old players past their sell by date. Slow and talentless. Atkinson couldn't get a club for 2 years and we take him on. Offers nothing. PB takes off our most talented player, Bridge. The guy is absolutely clueless and RM must be rubbing his hands as it appears we haven't long left. I will be surprised if there is a SUFC come the end of this season. Our scouting system must be absolutely abysmal as all other teams realise you need pace and fitness to get out of this division and all we do is employ a manager who is really now out of touch and sign geriatrics. RD has moved to Director of Football but for what purpose? What actually does he now do? He I believe had the end say in letting Ricky Holmes go and quite truthfully what I'd give to have someone of his quality here now. We let him go and sign Atkinson which is absolutely criminal.
If RM is in charge at the end of the season I'll be surprised if we still have a club.
I don't think their goalkeeper had a save to make. Absolutely awful.
I thought that Bridge was struggling with an injury shortly before he was substituted. That was confirmed when he limped off.

Torquay was lovely but the football fayre wasn't.

First time I've seen us play in the flesh for nearly two years and it was pretty dispiriting.

The lack of pace and creativity in midfield is clearly one of the problems (as you all know) but the biggest worry seems to be the collective lack of 'soul' or 'team spirit'. I thought that we might just sneak it towards the end of the second half, but in the title of another poster's name, that must have been the 'deluded optimist' in me, especially as we didn't muster a single shot on goal.

Cracking to meet fellow phlegmatic Blues fans in 'The Hole In The Wall' before the game, see some old pals at the game, meet some posters on here, i.e. Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset and cornwall blues, and even to meet family too - with many thanks to the introductions from Watermill Wino.

Last edited:
He has only started 3 of Weymouth’s 7 matches and is yet to score. I think we’ve finished him off.
A sustained period of slow consistent erosion of a players confidence can take months maybe even years to redress….some never recover and lose their way completely. The mental strength required to overcome this is immense. Trust me!!!

I hope Brandon comes back stronger and better eventually but it’s possible the damage is irreparable.

Brown brought in non league players because we and every other team we are playing are non league Ron needs to act to stop this decline.

Having an opinion of Brown doesn't mean fans don't also have an opinion of Ron. It's not a case of 'anti-Brown'='pro-Ron', more often than not, most fans have a huge dislike of Ron too, how can you not?!

Of course if we had more money we would have a greater chance of doing better, that's an obvious logic. However, that's not always a given. Northampton went up from League 2 under an embargo and not paying players. Sometimes winning can be achieved against adversity.

I don't know what you've seen in Brown to suggest he is the right man for the job this time around. Aside from Wrexham, the games have been awful, period! We've played 3 teams that have a much lower budget than us and they have showed more heart, cohesion and desire than we ever could. That comes down to the manager and how he motivates and sets up his teams. Publicly throwing nearly every single member (most of which he signed) under the bus week in and week out is an archaic management style that doesn't work in the modern era. He has demonstrated massively that he is well out of his depth at this level (something he eluded to) as he has never managed in this league before.

I don't buy into this 'poor Brown has no money and he is not being backed' nonsense. He knew exactly what he was taking on when he took the job. He knows how Ron operates and what it's like behind the scenes, he has no one to blame but himself. I reiterate, many other clubs have far less money and resources than us and are at least looking competent and cohesive in matches. We are an utter shambles and the buck surely has to stop with the manager.

Last edited:
Back