• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Torquay United 1-0 Southend United

I spoke with Will Atkinson and from what I could hear of other comments there was certainly no lambasting of the players. Obviously a lot of frustration being expressed but not in an aggressive or offensive manor.

I do not believe for a second the players yesterday aren’t good enough or didn’t run themselves into the ground yesterday. I simply said to Will Atkinson that they had been let down and set up to fail yesterday by one man and one man alone. We never went to win that game, simply looking to stop the rot and thus the game was only going one way and it’s painful.

And while the players bravely fronted up, Brown disappeared down the tunnel. Coward.
With respect, that second paragraph is pushing it!
A manager sets up a side to fail? Perleeze...
Brown came over and spoke to fans after Halifax; I said this a few posts back.
What's he meant to say this time when fans ask him why he set up defensively, assuming they're smart enough not to abuse him?
"I did it so we would lose,"? Hmm...
Actually, Brown stood a long while staring at White, probably wondering what he was saying.
Do you 'disappear' down a tunnel? And players 'bravely fronted up'? Really? The expression on their faces suggested something might happen to JW.
I don't remember too many entering a discussion, and I was about 20 yards away.
If PB deserves stick, it's over recruitment. But as so many have said, why would you come to a losing club that may not pay you?

Having an opinion of Brown doesn't mean fans don't also have an opinion of Ron. It's not a case of 'anti-Brown'='pro-Ron', more often than not, most fans have a huge dislike of Ron too, how can you not?!

Of course if we had more money we would have a greater chance of doing better, that's an obvious logic. However, that's not always a given. Northampton went up from League 2 under an embargo and not paying players. Sometimes winning can be achieved against adversity.

I don't know what you've seen in Brown to suggest he is the right man for the job this time around. Aside from Wrexham, the games have been awful, period! We've played 3 teams that have a much lower budget than us and they have showed more heart, cohesion and desire than we ever could. That comes down to the manager and how he motivates and sets up his teams. Publicly throwing nearly every single member (most of which he signed) under the bus week in and week out is an archaic management style that doesn't work in the modern era. He has demonstrated massively that he is well out of his depth at this level (something he eluded to) as he has never managed in this league before.

I don't buy into this 'poor Brown' has no money and he is not being backed nonsense. He knew exactly what he was taking on when he took the job. He knows how Ron operates and what it's like behind the scenes, he has no one to blame but himself. I reiterate, many other clubs have far less money and resources than us and are at least looking competent and cohesive in matches. We are an utter shambles and the buck surely has to stop with the manager.
Agree - PB has been backed more, and had an 'easier' start (no embargo, a proper pre-season etc) than our last 2 or 3 managers. The current team issues are his and his alone, imho. The problem that we're playing in the NL is Ron's fault!

Torquay was lovely but the football fayre wasn't.

First time I've seen us play in the flesh for nearly two years and it was pretty dispiriting.

The lack of pace and creativity in midfield is clearly one of the problems (as you all know) but the biggest worry seems to be the collective lack of 'soul' or 'team spirit'. I thought that we might just sneak it towards the end of the second half, but in the title of another poster's name, that must have been the 'deluded optimist' in me, especially as we didn't muster a single shot on goal.

Cracking to meet fellow phlegmatic Blues fans in 'The Hole In The Wall' before the game, see some old pals at the game, meet some posters on here, i.e. Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset and Chris Powell's Mate, and even to meet family too - with many thanks to the introductions from Watermill Wino
Torquay was lovely but the football fayre wasn't.

First time I've seen us play in the flesh for nearly two years and it was pretty dispiriting.

The lack of pace and creativity in midfield is clearly one of the problems (as you all know) but the biggest worry seems to be the collective lack of 'soul' or 'team spirit'. I thought that we might just sneak it towards the end of the second half, but in the title of another poster's name, that must have been the 'deluded optimist' in me, especially as we didn't muster a single shot on goal.

Cracking to meet fellow phlegmatic Blues fans in 'The Hole In The Wall' before the game, see some old pals at the game, meet some posters on here, i.e. Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset and Chris Powell's Mate, and even to meet family too - with many thanks to the introductions from Watermill Wino.
Good to see you Rob. This was my first live game for nearly 4 years and what struck me most on top of the obvious drop in standards was the lack of energy and confidence in breaking forward and supporting the strikers. I did not see a lack of effort, just very little in the way of opportunities created.
Many of you that have been through this as fans week in week out and what I noticed yesterday was the resigned, downbeat look on faces of people that I don’t know but have seen over nearly 45 years of supporting this club, some outwardly angry, but most wandering away for the long journey home. We’ve all experienced the bad spells and heavy defeats, but this just feels different. I just hope that something or someone turns this around for the sake of our excellent fan base.

Brown, please stop scapegoating individuals, it’s borderline bullying. The most recent two, Ferguson and Phillips deserve another chance, would either have been worse than Atkinson today?

Then there’s Akinola and Nathaniel-George. Neither are world beaters, but to write them off and then put your faith in Dennis and Kargbo seems laughable. Please wind your ego in and give others a chance.

Edit - Respect to John White for taking the time to talk to the away fans, why couldn’t Brown do the same?
he'd send them for a 10km run and if the refused cos injured he'd accuse them of not being up for the team and not let them see the next match ! Probably best he steers clear of fans

My guess is that Akinola told Brown that he was not fit to play at Colchester last season after he had had 70 minutes in the game before at Exeter. We all know how Brown hates anyone to cry off injured unless they have their broken bones in plaster. He thus became one of Brown’s “not my type of player”.

Glenn Pennyfather reckons if Brown left a new manager would put Akinola straight into the team as he has all the attributes we are lacking. ( Oh apart from playing when injured!)
The list of players joining the ' not my sort of player' section is rapidly growing.

Went to WHU vs MUFC today and my WHU mates crying because they lost to a cracker of a goal from Lingard.

I told them all as a neutral that if they kept moaning I'd make them watch SUFC vs Halifax, Aldershot and Torquay on repeat until they realise how lucky they are. They very quickly managed to put things into perspective!

Might I also note what a f*****g pain it is to get from Essex to Stratford and back. Would rather follow little old Southend any day, I definitely appreciate the freedom of movement we have on a matchday (even when we had capacity crowds)

I thought Walsh was one of the only positives to come out of the game Tuesday night and he’s not even on the bench this week?!

Brown has now publicly outed Dennis and Kargbo - both youngsters on loan from bigger clubs. I can’t imagine they’ll be jumping at the chance to loan us more players in the future if this is how we treat them.
Totally agree, I spoke to Walsh in the stand and he was very disappointed. For me he did enough on Tuesday to start yesterday and based on Egbris performance or lack of it must have been sitting there wondering how on earth he wasn’t in the starting 11. Likewise Phillips, I thought he has done ok and certainly has energy and more in the tank than Atkinson. The fact that PB hasn’t even explained why they didn’t get in the squad rings alarm bells and **** poor management even more so when you look back at Saturdays performance. I didn’t like Brown first time round but this time he is making people very angry very quickly and this constant name and shame players is not helping at all

Sorry but the man has lost it. As someone said on another thread, just like the doom days before he was fired last time. There are posts on this board which indicate what is going on between PB and the players. They refer to his tactics, training methods and treatment of the likes of Walsh and Phillips, never mind Sim and ANG. I hope Ron realises how serious is this steep decline and even now is calling a Board meeting with a view to replacing PB. If he thinks PB can turn it round then he is very much mistaken. The trap door to Conference South is gaping open Ron. For heaven's sake act now!
Hopefully, the Chairman will not delay taking decisive action to halt the current slide. I am really shocked at how unprofessional PB has been in publicly scapegoating players since the summer. It is almost a textbook example of how to demoralise and de-motivate a team.

Totally agree, I spoke to Walsh in the stand and he was very disappointed. For me he did enough on Tuesday to start yesterday and based on Egbris performance or lack of it must have been sitting there wondering how on earth he wasn’t in the starting 11. Likewise Phillips, I thought he has done ok and certainly has energy and more in the tank than Atkinson. The fact that PB hasn’t even explained why they didn’t get in the squad rings alarm bells and **** poor management even more so when you look back at Saturdays performance. I didn’t like Brown first time round but this time he is making people very angry very quickly and this constant name and shame players is not helping at all
I thought Phillips was getting better with every game he played up until Halifax. I'm sure dropping him from the squad for two games in a row will work wonders for his, "Character".

And Surely add in a bit of Riggers and Kent Blues as Rons 2 major protagonists?
Once again you say I am one of Ron's major protagonists. No idea why. I have repeatedly posted, and let me do so yet again, that Ron has made many mistakes, indeed over the years too many to mention. Just because someone doesn't always join in the avalanche of criticism and negativity whenever the opportunity presents (a bit of an open goal at the moment), and seeks to find balance does not make them a Ron-lover. In fact, as difficult as it may seem its not necessary to be a Ron-hater or a Ron-lover, and perhaps the reality lies somewhere in between..

Good to see you Rob. This was my first live game for nearly 4 years and what struck me most on top of the obvious drop in standards was the lack of energy and confidence in breaking forward and supporting the strikers. I did not see a lack of effort, just very little in the way of opportunities created.
Many of you that have been through this as fans week in week out and what I noticed yesterday was the resigned, downbeat look on faces of people that I don’t know but have seen over nearly 45 years of supporting this club, some outwardly angry, but most wandering away for the long journey home. We’ve all experienced the bad spells and heavy defeats, but this just feels different. I just hope that something or someone turns this around for the sake of our excellent fan base.
And good to meet you too, Paul. I'm sorry that it was in the circumstances of this latest disappointment. It has been so dispiriting for so long now. I'm amazed that we still have such great support in these demoralising times.

Yep the last 60 seasons - it's heart breaking. Sadly Brown has just signed players on past reputation - we're lumbered with them and boy are they lumbering. He still believes that character is more important then football ability. The players he signed are no longer athletic enough to compete.
Same Circus - Different Clowns
So sad & depressing

Yep the last 60 seasons - it's heart breaking. Sadly Brown has just signed players on past reputation - we're lumbered with them and boy are they lumbering. He still believes that character is more important then football ability. The players he signed are no longer athletic enough to compete.
Yep, have to say it worried me a bit when we signed Dunne. Brown talked him up saying how good he was when he managed him at Swindon - 3 years ago! Made me wonder if he’d actually seen him play once since.

I know he’s not been absolutely dreadful, but he’s not looked like he should be a regular starter either. A quick scan of Barnet’s forum before we signed him didn’t make pretty reading. Just wonder how much thought has gone into some of these signings.

Yep, have to say it worried me a bit when we signed Dunne. Brown talked him up saying how good he was when he managed him at Swindon - 3 years ago! Made me wonder if he’d actually seen him play once since.

I know he’s not been absolutely dreadful, but he’s not looked like he should be a regular starter either. A quick scan of Barnet’s forum before we signed him didn’t make pretty reading. Just wonder how much thought has gone into some of these signings.

Good point. Ogogo, Dunne and Atkinson are just slightly different shades of the same signing basically. Coulson is the DC version. None are terrible signings on their own merit, but there's no justification really for the 'buy in bulk' strategy.

I still think words like beggars and choosers come to mind.
As many said, who wants to sign for a losing club where you may not get paid?
I too read other clubs' forums and not one said: lucky Southend, they've got so-and-so.
Cardsboard (Woking) reckoned Dalby must have the agent of all agents to get a berth at Roots Hall!
If Woking thought him a plank, where does that leave us? And according to most, he's one of the better acquisitions!

One further bit of evidence to underline the shambles in white.
This is a second before the ball gets played out left to be crossed low and converted at the back post.
How many yellow shirts out of eight are marked? Two?
There are five white shirts doing sod all.
Coulson is gesturing left: is Atkinson taking a blind bit of notice? The scorer is the man behind him.
Go forward a couple of frames as the ball reaches the crosser and attackers break, and no one is marked.
All this in the 90th minute!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 12.40.26.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 12.40.26.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
Back