• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Torquay United v Southend United, Saturday 18th September, 15:00, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • John White

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Josh Coulson

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 57 71.3%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 53 66.3%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 53 66.3%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Hamzad Kargbo

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Eren Kinali

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Lewis Gard

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Win

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 38 47.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
A southern seaside club that was once a proud member of the Football League but has fallen into non-league football, managed by a big personality who once had aspirations of great things but now in their 60s finds themselves plying their old fashioned management values in the fifth tier of English football. A description that could be applied equally to both the protagonists in our next league game.

Torquay United made it all the way to the National League play-off final last season, their defeat to Hartlepool on penalties means that our longest trip in the league this season sees us heading south-west rather than to the north-east.

Given how well Torquay did last year under Gary Johnson's stewardship, it is somewhat surprising to see them languishing a point behind us after the first six games this season. They lost their last home game 4-0 to Woking which seems even worse than our last result. The mood in Devon is therefore much the same as in Essex with Johnson talking of shipping players out who are not up to it, so Saturday should be an interesting match up.

Where exactly Southend turn after Tuesday's depressing defeat against previously winless Aldershot, does Phil return to 3-5-2? Will he recall one or more of the dropped players? Will the injured players be fit? Could he recall the exiled Akinola or ANG? Will he sign anyone else to liven up our insipid squad? Has Josh Coulson finished yesterday's 10K run yet?

Who knows the answer to these questions, except Phil Brown himself. Put yourself in his shoes and pick the starting XI for Saturday and try to predict the result.

A southern seaside club that was once a proud member of the Football League but has fallen into non-league football, managed by a big personality who once had aspirations of great things but now in their 60s finds themselves plying their old fashioned management values in the fifth tier of English football. A description that could be applied equally to both the protagonists in our next league game.

Torquay United made it all the way to the National League play-off final last season, their defeat to Hartlepool on penalties means that our longest trip in the league this season sees us heading south-west rather than to the north-east.

Given how well Torquay did last year under Gary Johnson's stewardship, it is somewhat surprising to see them languishing a point behind us after the first six games this season. They lost their last home game 4-0 to Woking which seems even worse than our last result. The mood in Devon is therefore much the same as in Essex with Johnson talking of shipping players out who are not up to it, so Saturday should be an interesting match up.

Where exactly Southend turn after Tuesday's depressing defeat against previously winless Aldershot, does Phil return to 3-5-2? Will he recall one or more of the dropped players? Will the injured players be fit? Could he recall the exiled Akinola or ANG? Will he sign anyone else to liven up our insipid squad? Has Josh Coulson finished yesterday's 10K run yet?

Who knows the answer to these questions, except Phil Brown himself. Put yourself in his shoes and pick the starting XI for Saturday and try to predict the result.
Yeah, loved this bit!

I'm looking for a pleasant day out, and a first live game of the season.
Wishing for anymore is self-delusion.
(Secretly, he hopes for three points, but, literally, ain't betting on it!)

I'm hoping the Devon sea air will inspire a better performance from this rag tag bunch. If they weren't aware of what's required they should be now. No excuses for 100% commitment after crossing that white line.
I'm going, whether I'd have gone if I hadn't booked my hotel before Halifax and Aldershot I don't know ..... yes I do know as I am mad enough to support Southend.

Making a weekend of it as well, no matter what the result will be nice to get away for a few days...so where we all drowning our sorrows before the game?

I'm taking the Mrs away for a 3 night Torquay break.

The only thing I can see that will spoil the weekend is the football.

I can't see many travelling all that way after the shower that has been served up in the last week.

Any idea where fellow shrimpers will be gathering for a pre match pint?

Arnold

Demetriou

White
Coulson
Hobson

Ralph

Phillips
Dunne

Bridge

Murphy
Dalby
Exactly this - not anti 3 at the back and based on with lack of pace at the back my feeling is 3 is better than 2. And we need to get someone in the middle of the park who can play football and hoping Bridge is the answer to that.

Hard to say after years of service, but would ideally like an alternative on the right hand side to JD - great servant but should have been moved on in some capacity. He has been part of this squad throughout the last most miserable 3 seasons of football and not saying by any means he is to blame but fresh start requires fresh faces. Sadly I say the same about John White.

First game for a very long game which I have been planning since relegation and my expectations are low and would take a point and a goal to celebrate!

My first time watching Southend live in over 2 years since we lost at home to Peterborough in August 2019 and I really cant be bothered to go.

Looking forward more to the hour or so drive in lovely surroundings and a nice lunch in a country pub than the actual game.

That's so sad.

I dont actually get to hung up on formations per say, however, something has to change as I really do think there are at least some good players in this squad, just not ones that are working in the setups tried so far.

So trying to think outside the box a little, and having limited options in certain areas, I would maybe suggest the following

Arnold
Demetriou, White, Hobson, Ralph
Ogogo, Ferguson, Dunne
Bridge
Murphy, Dalby

This at least gets Bridge in a more natural position for himself, gives us plenty of strength and power in the middle of the park and keeps Murphy and Dalby together up top, which i still think has great potential as a partnership.

The obvious worry is the pace at the back, which will not go away without signings, so i dont think any suggestion on here is going to fill me with confidence.

I actually think clifford getting fit will solve more than a few issues. Will allow us to push Ralph forward and Bridge more central in a 442 which would be my preference simply to (in theory) keep providing crosses and through balls to the front 2.

JD needs replacing in the team too

5 of us travelling there and back same day by car. Wont try to second guess PB, hope he sticks to a 442, maybe Bridge and Dennis out wide. Would a take a draw, just cant face that journey back with a defeat. My record for the last 25 away games (2 W, 3 D and 20 L), its been painful over the last few years (excluding last season when we couldnt travel of course)

5 of us travelling there and back same day by car. Wont try to second guess PB, hope he sticks to a 442, maybe Bridge and Dennis out wide. Would a take a draw, just cant face that journey back with a defeat. My record for the last 25 away games (2 W, 3 D and 20 L), its been painful over the last few years (excluding last season when we couldnt travel of course)
With that record I think you should stay at home!

Back