• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Torquay United v Southend United

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we all are, our fourth game in the Vanarama National League of the 2021/22 season. This is Phil Brown’s 7th away game since he was reappointed Manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 4th away match is against Torquay United.

Vanarama National League.png
Torquay.png VS.pngSUFC.jpg
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind Phil and the team whether you are at Plainmoor Stadium, listening on the radio, or listening on Blues TV.

Phil Brown’s Southend United Vanarama National League Away Team against Torquay United.

E_kXhhNX0AUwU7G.jpg

Plainmoor Stadium is ready for action at 15.00 hrs Saturday 18th September 2021. It looks like we will have light cloud with a gentle breeze for this afternoon’s game.

Plainmoor 1.jpg

Plainmoor 2.jpg

The weather forecast for this afternoon at Plainmoor Stadium.
Torquay United v SUFC Weather.png
Current National League away record after 3 away games

Won 1
Drawn 1
Lost 1
Goals scored 2
Goals conceded 3

League Positions Last Season

23rd (2020/21) EFL League Two Southend United (Relegated)
2nd (2020/21) Vanarama National League Torquay United

League Positions Current Season

6th (2021/22) Vanarama National League Southend United
20th (2021/22) Vanarama National League Torquay United

Recent League Positions Change

Torquay United v SUFC Positions.png
Previous Meetings

Southend United 1-0 Torquay United (L2 29/03/14 Att. 6,556)
Torquay United 1-0 Southend United (L2 14/12/13 Att. 2,144)
Southend United 1-1 Torquay United (L2 16/03/13 Att. 4,891)
Torquay United 1-4 Southend United (L2 17/11/12 Att. 2,449)
Torquay United 0-0 Southend United (L2 14/04/12 Att. 3,408)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 39
Draws: 28
Torquay United Wins: 28

Current Form

Torquay United
D L W L L
Southend United L D D L L

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views

Torquay United

Torquay United Manager Gary Johnson talks to DevonLive ahead of the game with Southend United

Torquay United manager Gary Johnson ready to make changes as Gulls try to halt slide

Perhaps there were a few last chances handed out, rather than P45s

Gary Johnson.png
Torquay United Manager Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson says he had a good talk to the players on the bus on the way back from the West Midlands on Tuesday night after Torquay United had suffered their fourth defeat of the National League season.

Johnson didn't hold back when he spoke after the 2-1 defeat saying he was ready to move players on because the performances so far this season just weren't good enough. But with time to thrash a few things out on the coach on the way back - and some one-to-ones this week - perhaps there were a few last chances handed out, rather than P45s.

With Southend United heading to Plainmoor on Saturday, Johnson will certainly have been looking to strengthen his squad - but as usual, any incomers will more than likely get kept a secret until Saturday; so ahead of the fourth home game, we can only assess the squad as it remains.

Amani Little and Tom Lapslie will be out for a few weeks, while goalkeeper Mark Halstead was ill at half time at Solihull and replaced by Marcin Brzozowski, so the young shop-stopper could keep his place.

There were no more knocks; though Klaidi Johnson may be pushing for a place up front following his goal after coming on for Dan Holman, and perhaps Alex Addai, who signed on a short-term contract to make his debut from the subs' bench, might get a start to give the midfield more balance.

Johnson was definitely impressed with what he saw from the 27-year-old winger. Talking about subs Lolos and Addai, Johnson said: "They came on and looked lively - and they upped our tempo for us.

"No Alex is not ready yet for 90 minutes, I know him very, very well. I don't want him to come here and be an impact player but he hasn't played any games and he was unfortunate in a couple of things that were going to happen for him - and so he hasn't played this season. So we need to get him up to speed.

"You saw it, in his little cameo roles, and you are going to have to be quick to cope with Alex's pace. We are looking forward to getting him involved more as he gets fit."

Johnson said of the squad as it stands: "It is a new group and some of them haven't found their 100% yet - and at the moment the team is not quite gelling.

"It's gelling for certain parts, in certain games, and then it's not - and when it's not this league is unrelenting as far as, if you are not playing well and giving the ball away, or you haven't quite got the energy to put in in the opposition half, you are going to get beaten, whoever you play in this league. Some have got to learn that very quickly."

Southend have only won one of their games so far and are finding it hard after being relegated from the Football League at the end of last season. They are only one point above the Gulls because they have drawn one more game.

On Tuesday they were beaten 3-2 by Aldershot Town - for the visitors first points of the season.

Link to full interview:-

Link

Southend United

No Phil Brown prematch interview on OS

Assistant Manager Craig Fagan speaks to Blues TV ahead of this afternoon’s game against Torquay United

Craig Fagan.png
Southend United's Assistant Manager Craig Fagan

Link to interview
Link

Phil Brown speaks to Chris Phillips at The Echo ahead of this afternoon’s game against Torquay United

From Premier League prize to National League tussle - Southend United boss Phil Brown is ready for a rematch with Torquay's Gary Johnson

Echo.jpg
Going head to head - Southend United manager Phil Brown (left) takes on Gary Johnson again this weekend

Southend United boss Phil Brown will lock horns with Torquay boss Gary Johnson on Saturday for the first time since the pair fought for a place in the Premier League.

Brown bossed Hull City to a 1-0 win against Johnson’s Bristol City side in the Championship play-off final at Wembley back in 2008.

But the pair will now be doing battle in the National League at Plainmoor this weekend.

“You wouldn’t have thought that the 2008 finalists from the biggest prize in football would be locking horns 13 years later in the fifth tier of English football,” said Brown.

“There are a lot of reasons for it happening but I’ve always really respected Gary and the bottom line is he’s a blooming good manager.”

Despite that, Torquay - who reached the play-off final last season - are currently 20th in the table.

But Brown is keen to make sure it is the Shrimpers getting back on track after their own slow start.

"We've both started off in a poor way but we need a reaction," said Brown.

"We've got to make sure we're more motivated than the opposition."

Blues have taken just five points from their opening six games but Brown is enjoying getting to grips with the non-league game.

"I like the way a lot of experienced managers come to this level but they will soon realise it’s not that easy," said Brown.

"I’m certainly one of them and Gary will be the same.

"He will be prepared for us but he will know we will be prepared for them too.

"We’ll both be organised and motivating our teams to the best of out of them.”

But Brown knows Johnson will also be desperate to get the Gulls back on track and does feel they will soon work their way up the table.

“We watched Torquay in the play-off final last season and I felt for Gary that day too against Hartlepool,” said Brown.

“I thought they were the better team but sometimes it’s difficult to get over that heartache.

“I don’t think they have just yet but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were there or there abouts at the end of the season.”

And Brown believes it will be Johnson who helps make that happen.

“Gary likes his teams to play the right way and he’s entrenched in a football mentality,” said the Blues boss.

“Every pore in his skin is about football.

“I’d like to think he would say the same about me but I have huge respect for him.

“He won’t have any qualms with being in the National League and I certainly don’t either.

“Football is just that way.

“He’s a lot more experienced than me I think because he started a bit earlier than me but we’ll both be looking to win the game on Saturday, there’s no doubt about that.”

Full text can be found here:-

Link

The Big Preview

Torquay United vs Southend United

Big Preview.jpg
Overview

After slumping to consecutive defeats against FC Halifax Town and Aldershot Town, Southend United make the long trip to Devon on Saturday, an away fixture against Torquay United next in store for Phil Brown’s men.

It has been a tough start to life in the fifth tier for Blues, having not tasted victory since the curtain-raiser against King’s Lynn Town.

But, with Gary Johnson’s Torquay also suffering a slow start, Blues can make the long journey eager to condemn the Gulls to further misery, in hope of reviving optimism within their own camp which has dwindled with recent results.

Saturday’s clash will be the first time that the two sides have met since doing battle in League Two in 2014. Southend triumphed 1-0 at Roots Hall thanks to a Freddy Eastwood goal. Current Blues players John White and Will Atkinson both played the full 90 minutes in the narrow victory.

The Opposition:

The Gulls have resided below Football League level since their relegation from League Two in the 2013/14 campaign.

Since, Torquay suffered a relegation into the National League South in 2018, to which they recovered and bounced straight back to the fifth tier the year after.

Largely to thank for said promotion is current boss Johnson, who has just entered his third year at the club.

He nearly led his side to a Football League return last season, after an exceptionally fast start to the campaign, they fell just short of Sutton United in the race for automatic promotion, before losing on penalties to Hartlepool United in the play-off final.

Form:

Tuesday night’s defeat to Aldershot means that the Blues make the trip to Torquay having accumulated five points from a possible 18 so far this season.

Brown’s side picked up draws against Wealdstone and Wrexham it between losses against Stockport County and Halifax after beating King’s Lynn on the opening day.

Their most recent loss against the Shots extended the winless run to five matches, despite summer signing Rhys Murphy having scored three goals in his last three outings.

Saturday’s opposition have suffered an even slower start to the 21/22 campaign. They have fallen to four defeats from their first six matches, winning only against Maidenhead United in a 4-3 thriller and earning a single draw against Notts County.

Torquay currently sit 20th in the early National League standings.

From Craig Fagan:

"We’re at Southend United, a big club at this level, we have to stand up to that now,” said Fagan.

"It’s always important to win games of football, they aren’t on a great run themselves so it’s a good opportunity for us to play them.

"I’m glad that there’s a game coming, as players you want to put things right straight away. If we were coming into this weekend without a game for two weeks, I’m not sure that’s the best way to approach the next game, so we’re all looking forward to putting some things right.

"It’s easy to talk about the Wrexham game as a good performance even though we drew the game, but in times of bad results you need to have that resilience in yourself to go again, to make good decisions, to run around with desire and determination and to be brave.

"The away support is unbelievable, we’re thankful for that because it does make a difference, we have to use it more to our advantage and I’m sure they’ll be behind us on Saturday as well."

Blues’ Team News:

Abu Ogogo returned to full training on Thursday and he will be pushing for a return to the squad when Blues head to Plainmoor. The midfielder was forced off against Stockport with a hamstring issue.

Matthew Dennis pulled out of the matchday squad in the warm-up against Halifax on Saturday, he is touch and go for the weekend’s fixture, assistant boss Craig Fagan admitting they ‘need to make the right decision’ as to whether he should feature.

The 19-year-old also returned to training on Thursday.

Goalkeeper Steve Arnold came through Tuesday’s match unscathed as he returned after suffering a dislocated finger.

Ref Watch:

Scott Jackson will be referee for Saturday’s match, assisted by Michael Begley and Justin Amey, with Callum Waller as fourth official.

This weekend’s fixture will be Jackson’s sixth as referee so far this season.

So far in the 21/22 campaign, he has issued 20 yellow cards, whilst brandishing one red, coming in Yeovil Town’s 3-0 victory away at Stockport last Saturday.

He has yet to referee a game involving the Shrimpers.

Elsewhere in the National League:

Bromley v Barnet

FC Halifax v Stockport County

Grimsby Town v Eastleigh

Notts County v Maidenhead United

Solihull Moors v Boreham Wood

Torquay United v Southend United

Wealdstone v Aldershot Town

Wrexham v Dagenham and Redbridge

Yeovil Town v Chesterfield

Weymouth v Dover Athletic

How to Follow:

For ticket information, click here.

Blues fans not heading to Plainmoor on Saturday will still be able to follow all the live action by subscribing to Blues TV where you’ll get live match commentary from the BBC Essex team from all first-team matches this season.

Blues TV costs £4.49 per month or a one-off cost of £45 for the season, with your subscription not only giving you match commentary, but also exclusive access to extended match highlights, full pre-match press conferences, interviews, features and more.

Full text can be found here:-

Link

Come On You Blues!

Anyone's guess what set up we are playing with that team but most likely 3-5-2 I would say with Egbri at right wing back.

John White and Abu Ogogo have both returned to the team with Shaun Hobson and Jason Demetriou both dropping down onto the bench where they are joined by the fit-again Matt Dennis.

Oh yay....what speed at the back and creativity and pace in that midfield .. that's a set up to park the bus...fed up of Phil

Atkinson again. 10 men southend take on torquay.
Good to see ogogo and Dunne partnership back together. Annoying not to see Walsh on the bench at all after his decent cameo.

Let's nick a 1-0 here blues come on

So very sensible and unsurprising
442 leaves us outnumbered in CM against most sides returning to the three at the back of White Coulson and Ralph is probably best defensively at the moment.
Atkinson, Dunne and Agogo in CM is arguably our strongest and should have the energy to get a much needed foothold in CM
Egbri and Bridge as the wingbacks is the attacking option on both flanks. I don’t think Walsh is a wingback
So I think the right selection- we shall see

Very brave or stubborn by Phil , standing up and sending out 7 of our 8 oldies, hopefully telling them to prove and utilise their experience, but looks terribly defensive

So very sensible and unsurprising
442 leaves us outnumbered in CM against most sides returning to the three at the back of White Coulson and Ralph is probably best defensively at the moment.
Atkinson, Dunne and Agogo in CM is arguably our strongest and should have the energy to get a much needed foothold in CM
Egbri and Bridge as the wingbacks is the attacking option on both flanks. I don’t think Walsh is a wingback
So I think the right selection- we shall see
I agree with this to an extent but not convinced that Atkinson is preferable to Ferguson in the middle.

Not sure if Demi's knee is up to it but I might have thought of him there too if we are putting Egbri at wing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back