• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tory election spending

was there ever an official investigation report into the alleged tory over spend on the Lincolnshire bye-election last year? At the time Farage and Labour both stated the tories had won through colossal electioneering.
Come on Barney I expect you to have that info at your finger types. (deliberate typo!)

was there ever an official investigation report into the alleged tory over spend on the Lincolnshire bye-election last year? At the time Farage and Labour both stated the tories had won through colossal electioneering.
Come on Barney I expect you to have that info at your finger types. (deliberate typo!)

Nope,sorry.Nor do I have time to check for it.However I'm sure you're right.

I would like to cap election spending at zero for all parties and affiliates.

I happen to agree with the your sentiment, but wouldn't be quite so draconian. The parties have to spend some money to get their messages across. Even at the lowest level, no-one is going to produce leaflets on behalf of a political party and not expect payment.

I think an independent body should look at what level of spending should be allowed. Obviously this should be reviewed before each election...

At the very least, the incumbent government should not be allowed to spend more than a very very small amount. Their actions should speak louder than their promises. Other parties shouldn't be allowed to spend more than a small amount as LB proposes.

Pre-election manifestos aren't worth more than recycled bog paper anyway. These should either be scrapped or governments held to greater account (e.g. an independent group reviews which promises have been kept and which have been broken).

At the very least, the incumbent government should not be allowed to spend more than a very very small amount. Their actions should speak louder than their promises. Other parties shouldn't be allowed to spend more than a small amount as LB proposes.

Pre-election manifestos aren't worth more than recycled bog paper anyway. These should either be scrapped or governments held to greater account (e.g. an independent group reviews which promises have been kept and which have been broken).

Yeah, independent enquiries and cross party group investigations have worked a treat in the past 18 odd years.

I happen to agree with the your sentiment, but wouldn't be quite so draconian...

There is a lot that can be done online for free. Likewise talking to people costs nothing (in cash terms; for the first time ever I'm ignoring the opportunity cost).

part of the problem with modern politics is that politicians don't really need the public. If they were dependent on enthusing the grassroots who would then go out and canvas on their behalf I think politics would be different. Sure, it is idealistic and unrealistic but I think it would be positive.

I'm tired of the leaflet, poster and advert carpet-bombing. I'm sceptical on its influence as well.

There is a lot that can be done online for free. Likewise talking to people costs nothing (in cash terms; for the first time ever I'm ignoring the opportunity cost).

part of the problem with modern politics is that politicians don't really need the public. If they were dependent on enthusing the grassroots who would then go out and canvas on their behalf I think politics would be different. Sure, it is idealistic and unrealistic but I think it would be positive.

I'm tired of the leaflet, poster and advert carpet-bombing. I'm sceptical on its influence as well.

But who is going to put this stuff on the internet? Even if it is party employees, you are still spending money on their wages. It would be impossible to have an election where no side is able to spend any money. The only way would be to have a cap, which is set by an independent body such as the electoral commission.

Worth pointing out that Labour has lost funding from a couple of unions over the last year and apparently the party is £12m in debt - [insert comment about their economic incompetency].

Worth pointing out that Labour has lost funding from a couple of unions over the last year and apparently the party is £12m in debt - [insert comment about their economic incompetency].

Most parties are in debt at some point. For example, the tories were £19m in debt after the 1992 election. Given inflation, that is far worse than Labour now.

I don't really think it's relevant.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30773974

Cameron warns that a Labour government will leave a "legacy of debt."

I've got news for him.Britain is already in debt atm.

As for "not passing on a legacy of debt to our children",I'd remind the PM that GB was in debt after WW2 and this debt wasn't actually eliminated until near the end of the Blair govenments.

Back