• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Benfleet A1

Hector Of The House
So as mentioned, we had to leave 30 minutes or so into the game and it had nothing to do with the shower on the pitch. My son has autism and is sensitive to noise. It's a strange thing because it only kicks in if he isn't enjoying himself. So to put that into context, against Chesterfield last season he had the time of his life ( we won and it was a good noise) while today we were woeful from the start and two down in 15 minutes, kids like my boy pick up on this sort of thing so he wasn't in a good place.

He asked me to take him down below the stand to watch the game on one of the tv's and where it would be quieter so I thought I'd grab a coffee and get him a little snack to cheer him up a bit. Number 3 flew in just as we stepped through the exit, which we ignored and headed for the food bar.

Standing there in full flow was some runt shouting at the top of his voice, demanding a cup of tap water then creating with as many f's' c's and b's as he could muster. I glanced at my boy who was frozen with fear and saw red. In no uncertain terms this toad got himself told straight about the perils of scareing my son while his over protective and very near to violence dad was around. He said he needed the water because of some medical reason and seemed to think the best way of getting it was by shouting at the staff behind the counter and generally being an obnoxious and rude pig.

It's not the first time I have seen this sort of thing involving our so called fans and it is a very ugly side, especially at away games. It affected my boy so much that he wanted to go back to the car right there and then and told me he doesn't want to come football anymore.

So thank you to the very kind lady at the food bar for the pack of Oreo's to try and cheer my lad up a bit, like the rest of the staff at Rotherham, friendly decent people.

And to the foul mouthed runt who treated said staff like dirt on his shoe, thanks for ruining my lads day out, try carrying water if you have a medical condition which requires it regulary and be grateful that you are going home tonight with all your teeth intact. You don't know how close you came today.

That's dreadful, I hate ignorant and arrogant behaviour. I would suggest you send a nice email or something to Rotherham giving praise to their employees, sometimes, a little praise goes a long way. I hope your lad hasn't been too put off by this obnoxious idiot's behaviour.

The email went before I wrote this. As for my boy being put off, the damage is done there.

Thanks for the concern though.

That is such a shame as days like these should be for families and people to enjoy (mind you I don't think anyone enjoyed today - but you get my meaning).
That person should be named and shamed

Not good, I do find we have what seems to me an expanding amount of Burberry baseball capped idiots full of pent up anger, they just seem out to be anti social and don't shed our club in a good light. Much more noticeable away from home then at home.

i thought Rotherham was a great club, staff were very friendly and but for the woeful performance and team of idiotic supporters we have it would have been a good day out.

Hope your son wants to go again soon

Sorry to hear about your sons experience, I do know exactly how you feel, but I can't share your experience with the stewards today. I was pushed into a space whilst walking up the terracing just prior to kick off, a space I was heading to anyway, and when I complained I was told to just move! I have been to many grounds in my 40 odd years following the Blues, and never seen stewards so aggressive since the bad old days!

Sorry to hear about your sons experience, I do know exactly how you feel, but I can't share your experience with the stewards today. I was pushed into a space whilst walking up the terracing just prior to kick off, a space I was heading to anyway, and when I complained I was told to just move! I have been to many grounds in my 40 odd years following the Blues, and never seen stewards so aggressive since the bad old days!

I dont remember stewards in the bad old days .

So as mentioned, we had to leave 30 minutes or so into the game and it had nothing to do with the shower on the pitch. My son has autism and is sensitive to noise. It's a strange thing because it only kicks in if he isn't enjoying himself. So to put that into context, against Chesterfield last season he had the time of his life ( we won and it was a good noise) while today we were woeful from the start and two down in 15 minutes, kids like my boy pick up on this sort of thing so he wasn't in a good place.

He asked me to take him down below the stand to watch the game on one of the tv's and where it would be quieter so I thought I'd grab a coffee and get him a little snack to cheer him up a bit. Number 3 flew in just as we stepped through the exit, which we ignored and headed for the food bar.

Standing there in full flow was some runt shouting at the top of his voice, demanding a cup of tap water then creating with as many f's' c's and b's as he could muster. I glanced at my boy who was frozen with fear and saw red. In no uncertain terms this toad got himself told straight about the perils of scareing my son while his over protective and very near to view violence dad was around. He said he needed the water because of some medical reason and seemed to think the best way of getting it was by shouting at the staff behind the counter and generally being an obnoxious and rude pig.

It's not the first time I have seen this sort of thing involving our so called fans and it is a very ugly side, especially at away games. It affected my boy so much that he wanted to go back to the car right there and then and told me he doesn't want to come football anymore.

So thank you to the very kind lady at the food bar for the pack of Oreo's to try and cheer my lad up a bit, like the rest of the staff at Rotherham, friendly decent people.

And to the foul mouthed runt who treated said staff like dirt on his shoe, thanks for ruining my lads day out, try carrying water if you have a medical condition which requires it regulary and be grateful that you are going home tonight with all your teeth intact. You don't know how close you came today.

Sorry to here that mate, I hope your boy will be back at Roots Hall next week. I'm hoping after your review that PB reads the riot act we'll snaffle another three points! Up the Blues!

This is the behaviour of a small but loud minority of people in general and little to do with Southend United.
I hope one day soon your boy experiences a magical time watching the lads!

So sorry to hear that, A1 . Yes , unfortunately we do have a few Neanderthal supporters that do their best to ruin away matches (in particular). However, let's not let these idiots put us off watching our beloved shrimpers, as the other 99% of us are good, decent folk. Hope your lad can put this behind him over time and we see him supporting our heroes once again very soon. The Oreo's are on me :thumbsup:

There was a number of these little dipshits at Shrewsbury away last season....wanting to take on the world with their stone island outfits on.......dear oh dear I doubt there was a pubic hair amongst them

Sorry to hear about that... my little girl has autism aswell and touch wood we haven't had that sort of situation at the football yet. It's the only time she sits quietly and really takes the whole game in...

on a side note, when did people on here start taking their kids to the games? My boys 3 turns 4 in February and I can't wait to get him down roots hall for his first game. Just wondered what people thought the right age was.

Sorry to hear about that... my little girl has autism aswell and touch wood we haven't had that sort of situation at the football yet. It's the only time she sits quietly and really takes the whole game in...

on a side note, when did people on here start taking their kids to the games? My boys 3 turns 4 in February and I can't wait to get him down roots hall for his first game. Just wondered what people thought the right age was.

Unless he's been really naughty then it's not fair to bring him just yet !!

Joking aside , I brought mine from about 7 with varying degrees of success.
Sometimes they could stand a whole match but others they got bored , hungry or cold ( or all 3 ) and wanted to leave.
It's a matter of trial and error.
Only issue for me with kids is the language they are subjected to from some of the crowd.
Hard to stay in the good books at home when my daughter ( now 10 ) comes home after a game and tells mum she knows a 'new swear' !

Take them now and they can see how poor it can be and they wont want to go back.....great threat to them....if you play up I'll take you back to that place again to watch football.....it works every time they will behave :smile:

It is a sad thing that there are SO many of these morons about and that more than just a few make themselves obvious and odious at our games.
I can accept a 5 nil,4 nil, type hammering loss with a grimace and head shake; BUT I find the foul mouthed, often racist, homophobic, sexist behaviour of the type you describe as unacceptable ANYWHERE, not just at a footie game. That sort of thing does spoil & ruin any time.

The place was littered with stone island and highly tanked up people. I've been to a couple of away games this year and every time the same bunch are there tanked up and being bellends. Oxford away one of them was ejected for being a gobby **** before kick off. He joined his mate who hadn't even made it into the ground. The ejection caused the rest of his stone island clad idiots to start on the stewards for 'man handling' him.

It is embarrassing and it's not an environment I would take my 8 year old too. I don't mind the comfort of Roots Hall where I sit with the crusties of the South Upper but it would be an intimidating environment for a young child to take to an away game. It's hard enough getting him interested as it is, I think like Al's son he would be put off.

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened Al and the absolute bellends are an embarrassment to our club. For them to have made it so uncomfortable for a young supporter is disgusting. My son has attachment disorder due to him being adopted and his first year away from us not being the best. He struggles in situations with loud noises and crowded environments so I know exactly some of the struggles you have to overcome. Hopefully as he grows he will change his mind and want to come back. I went to my first game at 8 didn't really enjoy it and then 5 years later I went back again and loved it so much I got a season ticket and had one for the next ten years! Don't lose faith but don't push him just maybe suggest it once the dust has settled and who knows he might fall in love like we all did.

Back