• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

simac21

Coach
Is there any point in this? It looks like we'll be playing against a youth side rather than there big stars. It's not gonna pull in the crowd if theres no stars.
Tottenham have a friendly away in Valencia on the 9th and us on 10th

two sides to this . . .

firstly, Spurs have such a large squad, that even if they did put out their strongest side against Valencia, there would be enough quality 'stars' to enable them to form a good team to face us

secondly, even if it is their youth team they send down, that team would provide us with a quality opposition and a more realistic representation in respect of league 2 opposition which we shall be competing against next season

A spurs xi went to Orient last season whilst the 1st team squad went to South Africa. In that game, Spurs fielded Cudicini, Kranjar, Crouch, Rose, and lots of other decent players including internationals. I think you will be surprised what team they do put out.Orient still lost about 5-1 . No, I don't think it's a waste of time.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?35v3pk

Got to blame Ron Martin for this clearly he hasn't given a back hander to Harry. During Harry's time as West ham manager West Ham always played a pre season friendly against Thurruck with the full 1st team always turning out. Brown Envelopes were allegerly seen exchanged in the car park after the game. The season after harry left West Ham just the youth team turned out and a near riot occured withthe once a season west ham fans being denied the chance to seetheir heroes.

It's probably to see if we fancy taking any of their youngsters on loan.

Was going to say exactly the same thing, good opportunity to make some contacts there and take an up close look at some of their younger players. If it helps unearth a loanee that can come here and improve the squad I say good move!

I've heard Harry wants to take a closer look at Luke Prosser.

Really? :hilarious: Just as well his contract has just been extended - it would be a "sickner" if Prosser became the next Justin Edinburgh and we didn't get any financial reward .......... :nope:

Is there any point in this? It looks like we'll be playing against a youth side rather than there big stars. It's not gonna pull in the crowd if theres no stars.
Tottenham have a friendly away in Valencia on the 9th and us on 10th

It depends what you view the purpose of friendlies as. If you just want to see overpaid super stars going through the motions this doesn't tick the boxes. However I'm sure the XI they send will be competitive and provide decent opposition as we look to progress in our build-up to the big kick off.

As long as it isn't marketed as Tottenham's first team (and it doesn't seem to be) I don't see the problem.

I always love games against Tottenham - I still have images of Physcho Gary Bennett tearing them apart in the League Cup ...... happy days ......

Hopefully it will bring in a few of the local plastic spurs mugs and help bring a big crowd to put money in the coffers.

The Braintree, Stambridge & Great Wakering Rovers forums are buzzing with people threatening not to attend our friendlies there if Peter Gilbert isn't on show.

Have been told that Canvey phoned Sturrock last week to arrange a friendly and were told that they were too late and also that Ron had told Sturrock that he wants to make some money out of the friendlies this year hence Spurs and West Ham and not just all the tin pot local clubs

Have been told that Canvey phoned Sturrock last week to arrange a friendly and were told that they were too late and also that Ron had told Sturrock that he wants to make some money out of the friendlies this year hence Spurs and West Ham and not just all the tin pot local clubs

If true this shows Ron still maintains an optimistic nature.

I would have thought that one of the ways to "make some money out of the friendlies" would be get an invite to a tournament featuring clubs with a larger fan base ........... that would be interesting.

And by the way, one person's "tin pot" is another person's local team that makes up the structure of the football pyramid that we all rely and benefit from .........

West Ham will probably get an 8000 gate, Im sure the Spurs game will do well also.

All money in the coffers.

I would have thought that one of the ways to "make some money out of the friendlies" would be get an invite to a tournament featuring clubs with a larger fan base ........... that would be interesting.

And by the way, one person's "tin pot" is another person's local team that makes up the structure of the football pyramid that we all rely and benefit from .........

Quite right, these friendlies are usually the best crowds that these non league clubs get each year and they rely on these funds. Clubs like ours also pick up a fair percentage of players from clubs like these clubs.
I personally prefer the pre-season friendlies at these non league clubs anyway rather than bigger clubs at home.

Back